Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Very strange problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 03:30 PM
Thrasherluver

Default Very strange problem

I bought my 05 GT back in September 2004 and have never had any problems outside of the paint. (Chips and scratches really easy) Recently I got in my car and I noticed that the windows on the passenger side appeared to be extremely fogged up. To the point where I could barely see out of the passenger side mirror. No big deal it seemed. I grabbed a clean towel and tried to wipe the inside and the outside with no results. I could see that it was only "fogged up" on the inside, so I got some glass cleaner and wiped it down. Problem solved. Until a week later and the same thing occurred again. Only on the passenger side. I cleaned it again, and it's been fine for the last week until today. I was driving on the highway today and literally watched as my DRIVER side window "fogged up" in the time span of about a minute. I've never seen this before, and it just started happening a few weeks ago. Has this happened to anyone else out there? Any ideas as to why or how this is happening? It's almost like someone's blowing a carton's worth of concentrated cigarette smoke on the inside of my car?!
Old 02-19-2006, 09:18 PM
woodywoody
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Very strange problem

I seems to have this problem when it rained on my old 2000 gt conv but i have no idea otherwise. Call cartalk on NPR hehe.

-W
Old 02-20-2006, 12:31 AM
loadedpony

If you have the recirc button pushed you will get fogging when the A/C is not on. You see this with alot of Honda drivers on the road. In most American cars, you can recirc only with a/C (max ac). However, the Mustang has a recirc button.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:34 AM
gkosin
2nd Gear Member

I have had problems with fogging before but not on the mustang. If you get even the slightest pin hole leak in the heater core you can get lots of extra moisture and a strange odor inside. I don't know if that's the case for you but just an idea.
Greg
Old 02-20-2006, 11:06 AM
1fast05GT
3rd Gear Member

If your windows fog up inside, most of the time is because humidity inside the car. This happened to me a couple of weeks ago after the moonson we had here in Tampa. I found the passenger side carpet was wet. I had to drive through several flooded streets on my way home that day, so I assume one of them was a little too deep since I haven't been able to locate where the water came in. I dryed the carpet and haven't fogged up since.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:57 PM
Thrasherluver

Thanks for the thoughts and ideas. My problem is that it's not actually fog or humidity. I actually have to use glass cleaner to remove it. HELP!
Old 02-20-2006, 04:04 PM
rotorr22
1st Gear Member

[&o]The residue could be glycol (antifreeze). It leaves a greasy like residue on the glass. You could have a defective heater core. Typical interior materials outgas for some time after the car is new and that can also fof the glass. It typically takes a fair amount of time, however.