Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

Buying a Mach 1?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 08:52 PM
nikbait
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Buying a Mach 1?

Ok so in other words, if I want that engine to last me, then no SC.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:20 PM
JnR

I have a philosophy, which is not particuarly popular with my Mach brethren.

if you are going to buy a mach to supercharge it, don't bother. go get a cobra. for the additional money you already have everything you need to make sick power. The price difference between the 2 is still in the 6-7k range. So, for 6k you can get everything you need to put a supercharger on the Mach...but then when you spit a rod thru the side of the block, you can spend an additional 6k re-building it...

Spend your money wisely here. If you want a great running n/a car that is capable of high 11's with bolt-ons and good driving get a mach. If you want to go with a forced induction set up with no real limit to what you can do go get a terminator...or for the 25k buy a used fox for 5-7k and spend the rest putting together a mean running 347 stroker built on a 4bolt block and go with the FI of your choice...

Old 09-01-2007, 10:26 PM
nikbait
3rd Gear Member

OK. Am gonna go for a mach if I can find one I want for the best price I think bolt ons will do me just fine
Old 09-04-2007, 12:47 AM
Machn U

mach 1's are great n/a cars with bolt on's. they have a better crank and the same cams that are used in the 5.4 L navi motor
Old 09-04-2007, 12:55 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

I like JnR's Philosophy. I just couldnt afford a Cobra.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:20 PM
nikbait
3rd Gear Member

I'm noticing that I have done a search on ebay and some other sites, and those newer cobras are soo spendy! I'm opting for a nice mach 1 with exhaust and possibly gears and UDP's.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:01 PM
Machalicious
2nd Gear Member

ok.. this thread bothers me for a couple reasons..

First
If you take a modded 94-95 5.0 against a mach 1, the 5.0 would beat the 4.6
How modded? That really depends. The 5.0 starts off with about 240hp. The Mach about 300hp. Who ever told you that needs to specify.. And if were talkin aheavily modded 5.0 vs stock 4v 4.6that's a no brainer. ButDon't buy the car for what can or can't beat it.. there's always something faster.. buy it cus it looks bad, and it's what you like and it relatively fast compared to most street cars you'll run into. Everyone here who has a mach could have bought a 7k 94-95 and dropped another 7k in the engine and would have been way faster than a mach.. with higher miles most likely.. but for less money your going faster.. However.. that wasn't important to me when i bought it. I knew I wanted a new edge because of the looks. And 270ish give or take a few to the wheels was plenty stepping up from a v6. I don't think anyone bought their mach giving a damn that they could build a 94 to go faster for cheaper..

Second

So a mach can take a SC just fine then? What about the nonforged internals?
Are you even planning on sc or any type of forced induction? If not then you don't even need to worry about that. The stock internals and the block on the manual are going to handle what you can throw at it.. (with a tune of course). So if your not going to do no2,sc, or turbo, don't even let this be a factor when your choosing. If you want to go a lil faster and still be safe go with a light shot of nitrous when you need it. If your not even a weekend warrior, orprobably won't even hit the gas much when you get it,just concentrate on looks.

Third

if you are going to buy a mach to supercharge it, don't bother. go get a cobra.
Very true.. in a perfect world...

There's plenty of reasons to buy a mach if your going to supercharge it. Your going to supercharge it later, (I couldn't afford a sc when I bought the mach but I can now.. hmm.. ) you like the look of the mach, your getting a sc for cheap, you want a sleeper so people don't think your going to be faster than a cobra, you like the hood scoop (my favorite).. Plus cobras have IRS, as everyone here knows, great for road racing, not so great on the straight line launch.To each his/(or her) own.. I wouldn't say that if your going to sc it just get a cobra, I'd rather sc my mach.

Dont' underestimate the Machs...with a couple of grand in upgrades (cai/headers/full exhaust/gears) you can handle the average h/c/i fox...

there is no 20k mistake buying a Mach...
Couldn't agree more. Mach's look better in my opinion and are more up to date.

IF.. you are going to buy the car and just drive it.. don't even worry about all the other stuff just get the Mach. It's going to handle what lil bolt on's you can toss at it.

IF.. you are seriously going to do forced induction.. I would consider turbo charging a Mach. Most street races are from a roll or on the freeway anyway.. so by that time your turbo is spooled up and your ready to go because these cars have NO top-end compared to what's out there.

IF your not even into racing that much and want a lil something extra, get a small shot of nitrous.

IF you want a fast car spend 7k and get a 94 then spend another 7k in the motor and no lightly modded mach is going to touch you.

What I'm saying is. Get what you want because you like it. Everything can be made fast. I'd personally get a newer car, and one that has a special history attached to it, rather than just a 94. More people are going to turn their heads in the Mach than they will in the 94.
Don't listen to anyone else when you get it. Your going to be the one driving it.

My opinion.. your choice is a no brainer.. 10 year difference. Mach 1.

and what your planning is fine.. just instead of udp's do a JLT intake..
Old 09-04-2007, 09:27 PM
JnR

All good points...

Especially the one where you say GET WHAT MAKE YOU HAPPY...

Best advice in the world...
Old 09-05-2007, 12:20 AM
nikbait
3rd Gear Member

Wow. What an awesome post! I don't think anyone could have said it any better. Thanks man for all the advice, I AM going to buy me a mach when I get done with school in 9 months! They ARE beautiful cars and more rare than a 94-95 anyways There is a lot of potential in the mach now that I see it Guess I was just bucking the 4.6L DOHC engine
JLT intake? haven't heard of that one yet. Will have to do some looking on that one.
Anyways, thanks for making this post so great. It really helped me make the decision Now the hard part comes is finding the exact car hehe.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:26 AM
JnR

Go here...
http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php?

and read...use your search function...

Quick Reply: Buying a Mach 1?