Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

handling vs more power

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 09:35 AM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

Default handling vs more power

ok, i've read almost all the Mach posts and a good bit of Svt posts (not important right now), and i was wondering which your would rather have handling or more power to the wheels and why? so absically it boils down to suspension sticking you to the deck or power pushing you.

i would think that suspension sticking you to the ground would be more important, but how big of a diffrence does it make?
Old 12-17-2007, 11:22 AM
jmac72187
corner carver

Default RE: handling vs more power

It all depends on what you want. More power is better for straight line while handling is obviously better for corners. If you do a lot of handling mods with stuff springs/struts, it will tend to make the car harder to launch at the drags.

IMO there is a happy medium between the two. I wouldn't want a car that can't take a turn over 10mph, but I also want the car to be able to accelerate decently. It is all personal preference.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:35 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

ORIGINAL: jmac72187

It all depends on what you want. More power is better for straight line while handling is obviously better for corners. If you do a lot of handling mods with stuff springs/struts, it will tend to make the car harder to launch at the drags.

IMO there is a happy medium between the two. I wouldn't want a car that can't take a turn over 10mph, but I also want the car to be able to accelerate decently. It is all personal preference.
how is that, i thought any susp mods would help plant the tires to the track.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:25 PM
jmac72187
corner carver

I meant to say stiff springs and shocks. They will go against weight transfer and they won't help you launches.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:08 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

so stiffer springs wont transfer weight to the tires? why it seems like it would help it by keeping it to the road.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:00 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Stiffer springs will stop a lot of the body roll, or leaning in curves. That's what you want on a road course, stabilization and a low center of gravity. At a drag strip, you want the car's weight to transfer to the rear wheels, or squat the rear when you launch. With stiff rear springs, it will not squat as good on the launch, causing more spinning due to less transfer of weight. In a drag race enviorment, what you want is for your axle to stay put as well as your wheels by preventing them from jumping up and down (wheel hopping) or for one side of your car to lift more than the other, and for the back of your car to squat at the same time. You do this with control arms, panhard bars, subframes, DRs,etc. You can have both handling and drag at the same time, but not to an extreme on either.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:07 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

huh, ok that makes sense...can you fit 315's in back? or all around? i'm wanting to get into more of a road racing role than a drag, but at the same time i want to be able to smoke a mildly bilt supra and ls2 on the strip.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:25 PM
5speedstang
4th Gear Member

go with strange 10 ways, hpm mega bite upper and lower control arms, mt street radials full length subframes, rear and front shock tower brase.

and for power just slap a pro charger d1 and you will have the power.

if you do all the power and no suspension you will just be there spinning making a nice smoke show watching the other car drive off. so make sure you do some suspension along with the power.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:29 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

ok what about this d1sc thing? is it able to take a stock mach to 475-500rwhp safely? and not hurt the engine?
Old 12-18-2007, 03:30 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

or would a KB 2.1l @ 5-7psi be better?

Quick Reply: handling vs more power