Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

Help with CAI (My brain hurts)

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 08:51 PM
WIKD

Default Help with CAI (My brain hurts)

OK I have read literally 50 or more posts on this subject between 4 different forums and have less of an opinion now than I did before I started. I am posting this here instead of the open forum just so I don't have to read thru all the GT and Cobra posts, I've read a lot of them already.
I wanted a CAI and was headed towards a JLT ram air cai but have read quite a bit about fitment problems and rubbing. Same with the JLT CAI and you also see posts about tube warpage. So here is the question, I like the shaker hood and wanted to keep that look so do I?[*]Get the JLT ram air CAI[*]Get the JLT true cold air kit[*]Get a C&L CAI[*]Look into a K&N or BBK CAI[*]Put a K&N in the air box
[ol][/ol]
Sorry to drudge this up but at this point with all the information I've absorbed it almost seems smarter to just leave the stock air box alone and stick a K&N filter in it. I don't want to start up a JLT rocks and C&L sucks thread. I've read enough of those, I want your informed recommendations so I can make a decision.[/align]
Old 02-24-2008, 04:02 PM
jchittick
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Help with CAI (My brain hurts)

JLT RAI FTW! Mine was tough getting in, but I love it. Looks good and gets the job done.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:12 PM
jmac72187
corner carver

I personally will be buying the JLT RAI. I have heard of some fitment issues, but I have also heard that they take care of you if you have any problems. I do not want to lose the shaker function so I plan on sticking with the JLT.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:42 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

I feel you're pain. I just dropped a KN filter into the stock box and put the CAI business on the back burner until I get done with other mods.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:12 PM
Furinox
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stone629

I feel you're pain. I just dropped a KN filter into the stock box and put the CAI business on the back burner until I get done with other mods.
+1
Old 02-25-2008, 05:41 AM
MACH5IVE
3rd Gear Member

I had no fitment issues with my JLT RAI, so I guess maybe they had a batch of bad or worped RAI! Most of the mach's in my area also run the same RAI and have no fitment issues!
Old 02-25-2008, 12:58 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

i am not confident in any RAI/CAI, and would follow suit of stone until i see more people saying hey it works
Old 02-25-2008, 01:58 PM
groundpounder
Sith Lord/Site Mod

Here's the pounder's Order of Things:

JLT RAI - decent power mod, looks REALLY good under the hood & keeps the shaker functional (personal opinion: if you're not going to keep the shaker functional on a MACH ONE for cripes' sake, then you might as well put a V6 hood on it and paint it pu$$y pink!) LOL!!

drop-in K&N - still a decent power mod, and bang for the buck is GREAT! Some say it makes more power than CAI or RAI, but I have yet to see that substantiated, so I cannot say. Either way, it's a good power mod, it's a little cheaper than the RAI, and it keeps the shaker functional (key feature, eh?) Downside is that it keeps the fugly stock air route, so when you pop the hood all of your ricer buddies won't goo "ooooh aaaaaah" and beat off over in the bushes wishing they had something that cool.

JLT CAI - If you have to make EVERY last little HP, this one offers that. Downshot is that anecdotal evidence shows that HP gain over RAI is only about 3-4 HP (neglible in the cockpit) and YOU LOSE FUNCTIONALITY OF THE SHAKER!!!

Can you tell that the shaker is important to me??
Old 02-25-2008, 07:08 PM
WIKD

ORIGINAL: groundpounder
Can you tell that the shaker is important to me??
Me too. If it weren't for the shaker I'd of bought a Cobra. The shaker is staying put. Might go the way of a drop in K&N for now. Someone here locally wants to sell a Mac X pipe and K&N filter. If he accepts my offer that will be the way I'll go. If not the JLT looks to be the second choice.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:58 AM
groundpounder
Sith Lord/Site Mod

ORIGINAL: WIKD
The shaker is staying put.
atta boy!! [sm=smiley20.gif]

stayin' on muh good side!

Quick Reply: Help with CAI (My brain hurts)