Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

351/460

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 08:40 PM
ponyponer
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 351/460

i'm not discounting it altogether, but just for now. he agrees as well. he figures if we work a few hours a night for a week straight we can have the whole rebuild done. he has all the machines in the garage he rents. he taught me a lot about mods, and all that. i never did too many mods to motors before i met him. he helped me mod the old motor, and my 5.0. i've never actually rebuilt any of my motors before. i've rebuilt certain parts like my aftermarket heads, and throttle body, and cams on my 5.0 when i had to put a new motor in. i'm excited.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:29 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

if you can rebuild a head, you can rebuild an entire motor...go for it man, it took me 30 days to rebuild my 1967 mustang coupe, with just me and a buddy working on it.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:58 PM
ponyponer
2nd Gear Member

so how many hours a day were you putting out when you did the rebuild just out of curiousity? as far as this compatibility goes the more automobiles, and technology evolve the more it becomes complicated to do stuff. i had a weak remanufactured 350[most overrated motor of all time] go at 19k miles on my 86 chevy 20 pickup before it got wrecked. i only had it for 4k of those miles. it was under warranty by like 5 days. used a little more money to get a 396 for it. i put different mounts, and brackets in there, and i got the thing hooked right up no problem, no headache. times change.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:07 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

i was putting in 10hrs/ night after an 8hr day at my normal job.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:21 PM
ponyponer
2nd Gear Member

damn you were putting in some time huh? i can do a lot of it myself. my friend i keep speaking of has to serve jail time from saturday morning until sunday afternoon for the next 3 more weekends now. outrunning the cops in his 68 gto, and was blocked in about 100 miles north of that. big surprise i know. he had 90 days, then 90 days worth of weekends, and 6 month license suspension, and probation. he is done serving, and can get his license back in 3 weeks. it's hard because i work at least 8 hours a day, and sometimes even more with overtime. i'll work by myself on the weekends i guess. not to mention my commute to work is 76 miles one way, and the shop he is renting is another 87 miles or so one way the other direction. it's kinda inconveinient sometimes.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:37 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

yeah, thats a big inconvienience.....I like your friend! me and the law aint exactly best of friends.

but yeah i was putting in time, not to mention it was my first time rebuilding a car or anything come to think about it. I fell completely in love with it, and i will be making it a career. So in 10years when im done with college come to me! all in all it should be a fun project for you and him.

i've got a hard question for you though...what is you main purpose for this car going to be? strip, street, or a street/strip? right now im doing a lot of reading on camshafts and flow. So i might be able to help you out some when it comes to the engine power build.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:56 PM
ponyponer
2nd Gear Member

street only. i've never dragged on a strip with any of my cars. basically a street drag car. i had some cams in it, and all kinds of good stuff. supercharged too. most of the stuff i had in it came from summit, and steeda. i like summit a lot even though they are more of a gm specializer. got 4;30s on there which i figure is good enough with the horrible 20- per gallon. i have a habit of smoking the tires after taking off from lights haha.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:26 AM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

ok, yeah if this is a mostly street app, i would go with
a dart 351 block set
a 427 stroker kit
AFR 225's (you'll see why in a minute)
a mild size cam (still reading on it)
a ported lower intake (i'm not sure which is best for carb'd apps)
and finally A TT setup on a blow through carb.

this is just my reccomendation for a good street application.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:48 AM
groundpounder
Sith Lord/Site Mod

And poner, you're going to get this done in a week or so working nights, right?
Old 03-27-2008, 09:29 AM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

if he had me working night's i could get the engine built in a week, of course thats the easy part