Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

frustrated with my car

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 09:50 PM
cengland

Default frustrated with my car

i need some advice. i havea 2004 mach 1 and it has 44,000 miles on it. a month ago i lost 5th gear, don't ask me how. i had a new tranny put in and three weeks later it lost 4th gear and sounded like marbles rolling around when it is in neutral. i took it back in and the the guy said i have a miss in my motor that caused my tranny to go out like it did. i argued with him and the owner over this for a week. could my motor have caused it? also i am now running rich. how do i fix that. my check engine light has never came one once since i have owned the car. i have a strong strong exhaust smelleverytime i crank it. does anyone have some thought one these things?
Old 04-10-2008, 10:00 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

Default RE: frustrated with my car

a miss won't cause a trans failure, and if you had a miss it would turn on the light and throw a misfire code. also if you are running too rich it should also throw a code for fuel system too rich. on cold startup sometimes you will smell a stronger exhaust smell untill the pcm goes into closed loop and the cats start functioning. hope this helps.
Old 04-12-2008, 02:40 AM
groundpounder
Sith Lord/Site Mod

jwog is on target. I think you may be getting hosed by the shop. Tell us more about them...
Old 04-12-2008, 04:19 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

ORIGINAL: cengland

i need some advice. i havea 2004 mach 1 and it has 44,000 miles on it. a month ago i lost 5th gear, don't ask me how. i had a new tranny put in and three weeks later it lost 4th gear and sounded like marbles rolling around when it is in neutral. i took it back in and the the guy said i have a miss in my motor that caused my tranny to go out like it did. i argued with him and the owner over this for a week. could my motor have caused it? also i am now running rich. how do i fix that. my check engine light has never came one once since i have owned the car. i have a strong strong exhaust smelleverytime i crank it. does anyone have some thought one these things?
1)could the shop not catch that?
2)that right there says he's a damn idiot.
3)it could be several things.....need to have the stock tune reflashed, fuel filter change might help, may have bad injectors.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:57 AM
Subotai_95
4th Gear Member

May some of the other guys can correct me here, but if it sounds like marbles rolling around when it's in neutral, could it not be a bad/broken shift fork? I'm no expert, but like JMOG and pounder already said, a miss in your engine would NOT be causing you to loose gears.. It could also be bad synchro's now that I think about it. Though when my synchro went out I lost 2nd gear first then 3rd. Can you get into either 4th or 5th when the car isn't moving? If the tranny immediately grinds and pops out of gear when you try to shift those gears it's likely a synchro.. At least that's where my thinking takes me broham..
Old 04-13-2008, 05:42 PM
cengland

my car never completely lost any gear. the problem i had out of both trannies was when i started to speed up i would here a whining noise going from first to second. then in fourth gear it wopuld go into gear fine, but after it was in gear it would grind real bad. i argued with the company until they finally put a new tranny in, but they are sticking to the story of my motor being the problem. they told me flat out they wouldn't fix it again even though my new one is under a warranty. that is fine cause the next time it goes out i don't want them to touch my car. thanks guys for the input. i love mustangs, but i don't know how to work on cars. i work on multi million dollar aircraft for the USAF.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:34 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

my car never completely lost any gear. the problem i had out of both trannies was when i started to speed up i would here a whining noise going from first to second. then in fourth gear it wopuld go into gear fine, but after it was in gear it would grind real bad. i argued with the company until they finally put a new tranny in, but they are sticking to the story of my motor being the problem. they told me flat out they wouldn't fix it again even though my new one is under a warranty. that is fine cause the next time it goes out i don't want them to touch my car. thanks guys for the input. i love mustangs, but i don't know how to work on cars. i work on multi million dollar aircraft for the USAF.
cars and planes are the same, except for the tolerances, fuel cost, speed......ok they're diffrent.

+1 on not using them again.