Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

idle prob

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 01:08 PM
guitar00dude
1st Gear Member

Default idle prob

well. i got a mach 2 weeks ago.. it has some sort of cai that does incorporate the ram air.. the filter was nasty and it had some weird pre filter shroud.. i got a new k&n and it was fine.. like a day after i did it all it was stalling on the highway or anythign above 35mph when i put it in neutral... i get out check everythign seems i forgot to put that hose that goes from the elbow to the valve cover.. i think thats it and i drive again.. same thing.. i check all the clamps someare loose so i think its that.. drive again its still doin it.. any suggestions?
Old 06-22-2008, 05:39 PM
FELEN
1st Gear Member

Default RE: idle prob

i think i read this somewhere ....not sure...but i think most machs do this...because mine seems to do that when i coast in neutral or with the clutch in....i just leave it in gear
Old 06-22-2008, 06:15 PM
sixty5mustang289
1st Gear Member

I have never personally had this problem with my Mach 1, although I have only had it for about a month. Hopefully it won't come up in the future. Sorry, I don't really know any advice to give, maybe the cai messing with the maf. My buddy has a BMW 325 with a cold air intake and his car stall sometimes because the cai confuses the maf. Hope that helps.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:16 PM
jmac72187
corner carver

IAC
Old 06-22-2008, 06:18 PM
sixty5mustang289
1st Gear Member

By the way, you can buy a mass air sensor calibrated to run with a cold air intake. I know that Granatelli makes mafs configured this way, not sure if they have one for our application though. You should check out the website. MAF's are expensive but I think it would be worth my car not stalling. If you are wondering why this happens, it is because the air coming in through the bend in the cai is turbulent so it screws with the maf. A picture of your intake would be useful. I could be mistaken, but from what you have said, it sounds like the maf to me.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:49 PM
guitar00dude
1st Gear Member

thank you soo much for the help all... im sry i didnt formaly introduce myself b4 this post.. name isKen.. got the mach 2-3 weeks ago... it has slp lm1, slp xpipe w/ high flow cats... lowered, cai, tint, subframes, chroem differential cover... and an 07 5spd gt with c&l intake and 93 brenspeed tune, pypes violator axle back... both vehicals are mine and mybetterhalf ashlee's.. all the cai is is like and aluminum cover that blocks the heat out.. a high flow filter.. in my case K&N.. and a cut out in it too keep the ram air functional.... it didnt have this prob till i changed the filter..... i did do my homework and read and search post and sticky threads.. exp about the IAC.... i took it off today and cleaned it.. along with a cleaning of the mass air... the valve felt rather sticky to me.. even after the cleaning.. other than what i remember a new one is like that i bought for a 5.0 i had... im goign to buy a new iac... try it on.. if it works ill keep it.. if not take it off and take it back to the zone... hope it works.. ill let ya know.. again thanks!!!
Old 06-23-2008, 08:44 AM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

i agree with JMAC 100%

i'll put you on the owners list
Old 06-24-2008, 01:16 PM
DesertMach
2nd Gear Member

I remember reading about this issue over on M1R, and it was happening with alot of people right after going to a CAI, I don't think it was related to any peticular brand, but if I remember correctly they found the issue to be with the screen just before the MAF, I guess there are some CAI's that dont incorperate the screen just before the MAF this kind of ties in with what sixty5mustang289 was talking about.

The IAC would normallybe my first guess as Jmac said, but you said the problem started the day after your CAI install.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:20 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

have you tried rotating the MAF?
Old 06-24-2008, 04:56 PM
guitar00dude
1st Gear Member

hey thanks again everyone.. the CAI was on the car when i got it... but the filter was very dirty and it had a pre-filter shroud over it that i took off cause ive never had one on a car and never had any issues with out one.. the car runs 100% other than when im goin like 50+ and throw it in neutral than it hangs idle like usual but then it goes down and down and stalls.. i went to autozone they dont carrythe iac for it (oddly enough i have bought them for my 5.0's and they were in stock).. and pep boys is on 3 day shipping for it.. rotating the mass air??... ill give that a try... maybe reset the pcm?.. its deff getting more air without the pre-filter and new filter

Quick Reply: idle prob