Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

mach 1 turbo question...

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 02:40 PM
PappaSmurf

Default mach 1 turbo question...

Let me start off by saying that i couldn't find this when i did the search on here. I think it was too broad of a question. I'm buying a Mach 1 as soon as i get back from boot camp in late December. I've been looking at different superchargers and turbochargers for it. My question is what would be better for a Mach 1? They don't have forged internals on the Mach engines, so would a stock Mach block be able to handle forced induction, or am I in need of some engine work as well? I was told that a turbo would be better because you can pump out more power running a lower psi, therefore keeping the engine cooler while still putting out massive power gains. I just thought i would post this up here and see if anyone could shed some light on my dilemma here. Maybe someone could set me straight on what the best or more logic options would be. Any help is greatly appreciated. THANK YOU.

P.S. I'm posting this in the forced induction section as well. I just thought that since it was only directed towards the Mach 1 some of you Mach 1 guys would know best.
Old 08-30-2008, 03:36 PM
myslow2002gt
3rd Gear Member

4V's respond very well to both setups, but I'm more of a turbo guy.

The stock Mach shortblock is not very strong, so whatever route you go, do plan on an upgraded shortblock i n the future.

The block itself is VERY strong, it's the rods/pistons that will be the weak link.
Old 08-30-2008, 06:16 PM
jmac72187
corner carver

Either one will give you good power. I would not personally spend the extra cash on the turbo set up unless I had really high HP goals. The supercharger will be good for plenty of power though.

The stock short block can only take about 425-450 RWHP before the rods go. Since you have an auto you also have a cast crank.
Old 08-30-2008, 06:31 PM
myslow2002gt
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jmac72187
Since you have an auto you also have a cast crank.
He doesn't even own a Mach 1, let alone an automatic one
Old 08-30-2008, 06:34 PM
jmac72187
corner carver

Originally Posted by myslow2002gt
He doesn't even own a Mach 1, let alone an automatic one
haha

I must have read that in another thread and confused it with this one. Either way the crank should be forged, factory or after market.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:21 PM
PappaSmurf

how exactly would i go about a forged crank? Would i have to buy an aftermarket one? What is a good brand? And if i'm already going to be inside the engine, shouldn't i replace the rods and pistons at that time as well? What is a good brand for the rods and pistons? And how much more would it be for a turbo over a s/c? Aren't they both gonna be in/around the same ball park, money wise? If I went the the s/c route, is Vortech the only s/c that you can keep the scoop functional with? Sorry for all the dumb questions, im just really excited as im sure everyone else is before they get their dream car/s...

Thank You for the help
Old 08-30-2008, 10:25 PM
myslow2002gt
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by PappaSmurf
how exactly would i go about a forged crank? Would i have to buy an aftermarket one? What is a good brand? And if i'm already going to be inside the engine, shouldn't i replace the rods and pistons at that time as well? What is a good brand for the rods and pistons? And how much more would it be for a turbo over a s/c? Aren't they both gonna be in/around the same ball park, money wise? If I went the the s/c route, is Vortech the only s/c that you can keep the scoop functional with? Sorry for all the dumb questions, im just really excited as im sure everyone else is before they get their dream car/s...

Thank You for the help
A manual trans Mach 1 has a forged crank from the factory. Auto's have a cast crank. If you buy an auto, you can buy a forged crank new from Ford for $550.

I always suggest either Diamond or CP for pistons, and Manley/ModMax for rods. Always invest in the ARP2000 rod bolts for either brand of rods.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:34 PM
PappaSmurf

And what do you mean an upgraded short block? Are we talking like forged internals, or is there another block that i need to be looking at getting?
Old 08-30-2008, 10:35 PM
Furinox
4th Gear Member

I just put manley rods and JE pistons in my car. Expect to spend some big bucks if you're doing FI and a forged motor at the same time.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:37 PM
myslow2002gt
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by PappaSmurf
And what do you mean an upgraded short block? Are we talking like forged internals, or is there another block that i need to be looking at getting?
Shortblock= block and rotating assembly.

The MACH 1 block itself is very strong, it's the rods/pistons that are not.

Quick Reply: mach 1 turbo question...