Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

TR-3650 Q & A

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 05:01 PM
I G Joe
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rygi23
You seem more up on the trans know how than I. I really ain't got the slightest, but would like to. Been looking for a diagram of the TR-3650s internals to try to educate myself on the inner workings but haven't found one anywhere...any help guys!!!! I do plan on just upgrading the whole trans while it's out (that's if I can find someone wanting to go through the trouble), but can you tell me why a trans needs to be completely rebuilt if only one synchro is bad. Any help on this subject will definately do. Thanks a bunch.

i dont think you'd need to rebuild the whole tranny. maybe you will need a new 3rd gear if the gears themselves are worn out to a certain degree due to griding. but just a new set of synchros for the whole transmission could probably be done.

I personally wouldnt spend the money to rebuild a transmission thats only going to brake again sooner or later. i would buy a transmission built for abuse and save yourself the hassle of labor costs and such. a TKO500 would most likely do you just fine, its just a bellhousing away from hooking right up to your car.

Last edited by I G Joe; 11-07-2008 at 07:03 PM.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:00 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by I G Joe
i dont think you'd need to rebuild the whole tranny. maybe you will need a new 3rd gear if the gears themselves are worn out to a certain degree due to griding. but just a new set of synchros for the whole transmission could probably be done.

I personally wouldnt spend the money to rebuild a transmission thats only going to brake again sooner or later. i would buy a transmission built for abuse and save yourself the hassle of labor costs and such. a TKO500 would most likely do you just fine, its just a bellhousing away from hooking right up to your car.
I'm assuming now that a TKO500 is like a HD TR3650. So do I need a new bellhousing or does a TKO bolt right in? Lord, I feel like a biscuit asking that question.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:35 PM
I G Joe
5th Gear Member

lol the TKO is an Aftermarket transmission. it will require a new belhousing to bolt up to your engine. but other than that it bolts right in, you can use the stock driveline and shift lever if needed. in my GT i did have to modify the transmission mount slidy things, thats just a matter of cutting back the stops so the holes line up.

EDIT: the TKO500 is a transmission rated for 500hp hints the 500 in its name, there is a TKO600 which is the same thing but with a really low 1st gear to take more HP.
here are some links.

http://www.thedrivenman.com/ke/gm/tr...s/builder2.asp

you'd most likely need the first with with 10/31 spline, 10 for the input shaft, and 31 for the output. unless you upgrade clutches and get a 26 spline clutch.

Last edited by I G Joe; 11-07-2008 at 11:41 PM.
Old 11-08-2008, 11:24 AM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

lol the TKO is an Aftermarket transmission. it will require a new belhousing to bolt up to your engine. but other than that it bolts right in, you can use the stock driveline and shift lever if needed. in my GT i did have to modify the transmission mount slidy things, thats just a matter of cutting back the stops so the holes line up.

EDIT: the TKO500 is a transmission rated for 500hp hints the 500 in its name, there is a TKO600 which is the same thing but with a really low 1st gear to take more HP.
here are some links.

http://www.thedrivenman.com/ke/gm/tr...s/builder2.asp

you'd most likely need the first with with 10/31 spline, 10 for the input shaft, and 31 for the output. unless you upgrade clutches and get a 26 spline clutch.
Ugh!!! Though that Drivenman website's tranny prices are very fair, if cost wasn't an option, I'd get the T-56 Viper with set of 4.30s. Given the extra cost including the changes need made, I think I'll have a top quality rebuild done to my stock tranny, along with finally installing my 4.10s. Cost effective and should get me down the track with no future problems if the job's done right. Going to the track tomorrow to a import vs. domestic race and can't run my damn Mach. Don't know if I'll be able to take it. Btw, thx for the info. on the trannys.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:38 AM
I G Joe
5th Gear Member

CANT TAKE IT!? screw that! SLAM 3rd GEAR MAN, THATS WHAT I DID, i beat 2 evo 9's with a bad 3rd gear in my GT!!!!!!
Old 11-09-2008, 12:54 AM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

Umm, well, okay, you talked me into it! That wouldn't **** up my trans even more?
Old 11-09-2008, 01:05 AM
HamMach1
5th Gear Member

I don't believe I installed the stops with my MGW shifter because of all this talk not to because of the internal ones.
Old 11-09-2008, 11:09 AM
I G Joe
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rygi23
Umm, well, okay, you talked me into it! That wouldn't **** up my trans even more?
well its not healthy for the gears in 3rd with no synchros but hey, you are going to rebuild anyways right? and if you do bust your damn tranny i have the TR3650 outta my GT sittin here, i can send it to you =P and you can rebuild that one.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:37 AM
AmericanPowertrain
Former Sponsor

Default 3650 vs TKO

If you are looking at the costs and benefits of a TKO vs a 3650 let me give you some insight. A 700hp full race prep AP3650Extreme will cost you less than $2000. A TKO with the proper bell housing for the mod motor and a TKO slip yoke will be around $2600. You will get a very similar result and save more than $600, plus your AP3650Extreme will be hand built by our guys who build the fastest Tremec transmissions on Earth. It's hard to beat that.

If you can live without your own transmission for a few weeks you can send it in to have it upgraded to the Extreme for even less.

If you go with one of our TKO500 transmissions you would definitely want the one with the GM 26-spline input shaft. This is a no cost upgrade that is imperative to durability and only requires the purchase of a matching 26-spline disc, which adds less than $100. Although the TKO uses a hardened 10-spline shaft, the 26-spline is MUCH stronger.

Anyone here can e-mail me any time at gray@americanpowertrain if you need specific questions answered about any Tremec or AP Product. We'll try to keep you on the road and keep money in your pocket whenever possible.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:14 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

well its not healthy for the gears in 3rd with no synchros but hey, you are going to rebuild anyways right? and if you do bust your damn tranny i have the TR3650 outta my GT sittin here, i can send it to you =P and you can rebuild that one.
Yeah dude, took your inspiring advice to the track. Went four rounds and never missed a beat, except for eventually losing to a 10 sec. pro bracket car. Didn't run the #s with my 42 psi street radials (13.3s), but the shift issue was my only concern anyway. 3rd gear was cake with my new Triax. Don't think I'll ever try to drive a stang w/o a STS again. Thanks again for the input.

Quick Reply: TR-3650 Q & A