Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

Getting intake

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 07:41 AM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

i would go with the C&L for looks, and you can/ someone can powder coat it to be heat resistant , but the intake we get aren't really gonna help us to much, our back pressure is what is do the choking in these cars
Old 12-08-2008, 07:29 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

Have the JLT ram-air intake (shaker functional). Aside from being one of the best rated intakes, I partly got it b/c I didn't feel like saying "no" every time someone asked me if the scoop on the hood actually worked. It's has a huge k&n style filter, and along with the tube being a little larger the main benefit is that it"s a straight flow path from the filter to the intake (does away with the S bend up and over the wheel well). Like most CAIs, it's made of plastic but I think it actually looks pretty tough as long as it's black. You can get the tube color matched to your car but that looks a little cheezy to some. Definately go with the dyno tune after the mod though. The other intakes mentioned are all good ones as well.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:42 AM
grif62
2nd Gear Member

Ok thx, rygi23 does the JLT still connect to that rubber piece from the fender well? Also what size of an intake spacer would be good for the mach?
Old 12-09-2008, 05:19 PM
Houghtown
2nd Gear Member

I have the K&N FIPK in mine and it went in really easy. The only thing to remember, if you get the K&N, is when you take the old intake out is to take that screen out of the stocker and put it in between the new filter and MAF sensor. If you don't do that you'll have some idle issues.

I like my K&N because it blends in with the engine. It's black and the black valve covers look good with it. Good luck either way you go.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:55 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by grif62
Ok thx, rygi23 does the JLT still connect to that rubber piece from the fender well? Also what size of an intake spacer would be good for the mach?
You still have air coming in from both directions, can't remember anything about a rubber piece though, been a while since installing. Don't know about the best intake spacer size, but I think I'm gonna invest in one myself and they seem like a good bang/buck mod. Someone else wanna chip in with the best size for the intake spacer? Thx.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:02 PM
grif62
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Houghtown
I have the K&N FIPK in mine and it went in really easy. The only thing to remember, if you get the K&N, is when you take the old intake out is to take that screen out of the stocker and put it in between the new filter and MAF sensor. If you don't do that you'll have some idle issues.

I like my K&N because it blends in with the engine. It's black and the black valve covers look good with it. Good luck either way you go.
thx guys, houghtown u got a pic?
Old 12-09-2008, 06:53 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

3/8ths inch on the spacer.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:59 PM
grif62
2nd Gear Member

stone, u know what tuner u want to get, i got livewire cause it shows much more options
Old 12-09-2008, 08:00 PM
Furinox
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by NotStok
If you absolutely HAVE to spend the money, go with a JLT RAI.

Otherwise, K&N drop in FTW. Saves you some cash for mods you'll actually feel.
+1....
Old 12-09-2008, 08:28 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by grif62
stone, u know what tuner u want to get, i got livewire cause it shows much more options
I really want to get the SCT X3 and take it to a dyno to have it tuned. Thats kind of expensive though, like $600 around here. My other option is just to go ahead with the tuner and just use whatever comes with it for now. My second choice is the Diablo, but only because American Muscle had a combo deal where you can get 4.10 gears, gear oil, and the Diablo tuner for like $500. Thats not the exact price, but its somwhere around that.

So you like the Livewire pretty good? Is it fairly user friendly?

Quick Reply: Getting intake