Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

procharger or motor mods!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 01:44 PM
Sace
2nd Gear Member

Default procharger or motor mods!?

Hey everyone. Was thinking about supercharging the mach. The only issue i run into is $ lol. I priced out a procharger. it was 5200 intercooled with the kit that has a tuner n what not that comes with it. i think yeah alright ill do it.. then i add the exchange ( im canadian ) thats about another 20 %.. then i add taxes 13%..(free health care)... and now im sitting at 7100.00 roughly.. wow and thats just to get it at my door. then once i get it installed and dialed in on a dyno im gunna be safe n say im looking at like.. 9000-10000. so i guess where im going is, thats insane lol.. what can you do to a mach that will give the car a solid upgrade in power without spending that much.. i have a k&n drop in.. full slp exhaust.. mgw shifter.. all thats left for basic bolt ons is gears n tune.. is there nothing else worthy of doing that'll make a noticeable difference without spending so much that i mine as well take the plunge and get the procharger?
Old 02-01-2009, 01:59 PM
Houghtown
2nd Gear Member

What kind of power are you looking for??? I would think that you could piece together a kit much cheaper than that. Look around these forums to see what other people have done. If you were going to spend that much you might as well trade yours in for a termi.

If you want to stay away from f/i then I would say bigger gears and nice cam. Those two alone would wake your car up nicely.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:04 PM
Nolimits31
3rd Gear Member

i would say try piecing together that vortech kit that is a sticky here on the forums. with that and a decent tune i would say this would cost around 3k and that is with a tune. should net u 350rwhp non intercooled at bout 8psi, that is if u wanna go f/i.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:36 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

port & polish the intake and exhaust, cams, gears, tune.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:11 PM
Furinox
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nolimits31
i would say try piecing together that vortech kit that is a sticky here on the forums. with that and a decent tune i would say this would cost around 3k and that is with a tune. should net u 350rwhp non intercooled at bout 8psi, that is if u wanna go f/i.
lol i make 422 at 8psi non ic. 4v makes a lil more than 2v

and thats with 9:1 compression. a stock mach would make more
Old 02-02-2009, 10:05 PM
NotStok
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Furinox
lol i make 422 at 8psi non ic. 4v makes a lil more than 2v

and thats with 9:1 compression. a stock mach would make more
T Trim FTW.

Buy a used blower and save for a bottom end. That's what I did and I'm only 4 grand in with a complete, ATA intercooled T Trim Vortech and a Manley forged bottom end. All the labor is being done by myself and a friend, so that's where you save a lot of your money.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:41 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Not worth 9-10 grand, IMO. Do some 4.10s, full bolt-ons, maybe some suspension work, and definitely DRs..... then decide if you want more. Supercharging is high dollar. Listen/Talk to Sub and some of these other hoodlums around here that are supercharged, your best advice will come from them.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:07 PM
Hellboy2004

forged first, then procharger and cams.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:00 AM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

i would say forged/ used pro charger d1sc and a 4.00 pulley. OR

hit up my list at the top of the page and do ALL the bolt on's
Old 02-03-2009, 06:59 PM
Subotai_95
4th Gear Member

Rebel's got a good list of bolt-ons in the stick at the top of the page OP so i'd definitely take a look through there first. I have to say though that if you envision going F/I at any point in time forge the bottom end first. Trust me, it's a much bigger pain in the a$$ to do so after the fact. Stonie's also got some good points. I'd go with LCA's, possibly 3.90's or 4.10's, possibly upgrade to a 9" rear end and 31 spline moser axle with some DR's and that'll help plant the power you DO have a hell of a lot better. If you still want to do engine work you could look into a good blower cam, possibly a P51 intake or an FR500 manifold.. Those are a bit pricey but worth it if you're going to spend a lot of time at the track..

If you're dead set on F/I though, check out MPH's mongoose kits.. when last I looked they had both Vortech S and T trim kits, along with the Paxton Novi 2000 and 2200 kits.. Those are usually a good bit cheaper than trying to buy the procharger kit directly from ATI.. I bought mine through DynoTuned Performance in Chesapeake VA, and I paid 4,700 for the whole kit, Diablo tuner included..

All depends on what you want and what you have the cash for brudda..

Quick Reply: procharger or motor mods!?