Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

K&N CAI problems?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 12:12 AM
Fookie13

Question K&N CAI problems?

I just installed a K&N CAI on my 2004 Mach 1. I am having some low idle problems, and a few times the car stalled out idleing up to traffic lights. The idle will fluctuate between 500 and 800 RPM with the drop to 150 rpm randomly. I have even had the car stall out 2x. I seek your input on the situation. Anyone have had the same problem or know of a solution, I would love to hear what you have to offer.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:56 AM
Shaken
1st Gear Member

It seems that removing the screen causes stalling with manual trans. Auto cars generally do not slip it into neutral and coast or push in the clutch and coast to a light. Those where the times I seen the problem which you can do 1 of 2 things. First change your driving habits or find a way to have the screen installed. I took my air horn to a cnc mill and removed the thickness and stepped the air horn so the rubber lip located the screen assembly in the id of the air horn.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:54 PM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

I had the same issue with the K&N, even after I put the screen back on. I found that the problem is much worse when going above 40MPH, so I would downshift and try to keep it in gear until I was going below 40 and it would never stall, every now and then the RPMs would drop down below idle but it would come back. Eventually that got old and I just went with the C&L, couldn't be happier.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:19 PM
MTBer
1st Gear Member

I've had my K&N intake on for about a day now and have driven about two hundred miles of city and freeway, without any problems. My car idles around 800rpm. The only mods I have though are the K&N intake, a PHP intake spacer, catted x-pipe, and SLP catback.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:29 PM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MTBer
I've had my K&N intake on for about a day now and have driven about two hundred miles of city and freeway, without any problems. My car idles around 800rpm. The only mods I have though are the K&N intake, a PHP intake spacer, catted x-pipe, and SLP catback.
Auto?
Old 07-29-2009, 10:03 PM
tranceaddict
1st Gear Member

i would be more than willing to say the air leaving the pcv valve isnt getting into your intake. I had this problem with one of my cars a year back when i installed a oil catch with a vented top. has to be a sealed system, check the connection
Old 07-29-2009, 10:28 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fookie13
I just installed a K&N CAI on my 2004 Mach 1. I am having some low idle problems, and a few times the car stalled out idleing up to traffic lights. The idle will fluctuate between 500 and 800 RPM with the drop to 150 rpm randomly. I have even had the car stall out 2x. I seek your input on the situation. Anyone have had the same problem or know of a solution, I would love to hear what you have to offer.
I had this same problem with my mach. I put the screen back in and it seemed to help a little, I got it dyno tuned and all was great!
Old 07-29-2009, 10:54 PM
MTBer
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by darkmach1
Auto?
Nope, 5 speed. That's why I put 200 miles on it in one day. Way too fun to drive
Old 07-30-2009, 02:19 PM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MTBer
Nope, 5 speed. That's why I put 200 miles on it in one day. Way too fun to drive
LOL. Well not everyone with this intake is having issues with it but the majority are, you could be one of the few.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:26 PM
MTBer
1st Gear Member

I wonder what it is about the K&N design that could be causing the issue. I mean, it's just a friggin air tube. I only know of four intakes made to utilize the shaker (JLT, C&L, K&N, Steeda) and I was under the impression that none of them retain the screen.

Perhaps, by some weird anomaly, could the intake lean out the mixture too much under certain conditions?

Quick Reply: K&N CAI problems?