Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

DRs + stock drivetrain

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 09:49 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

Default DRs + stock drivetrain

What problems, if any, have you guys had resulting from abusive clutch dumping? My pinion came loose couple days ago and I'm certain it's from the sticky DRs. Was fortunate as I snugged it back up and took it straight to the shop before the pinion depth got out of adjustment. Am I correct in thinking that the steeper the gear the less likely things will break as the torque required to turn the tires decreases which would lessen to torque load on the drivetrain? Thanks.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:24 PM
Fstanggt96
3rd Gear Member

Hmmm. Did your trans/rearend make kind of a humming noise in 4th/5th gear at about 2k rpm at partial thottle? Mine does... I think the noise is my rearend? Car has 44k miles but I have no clue how the last 2 owners drove it. Your theorey makes sence to me lol.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:30 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Originally Posted by rygi23
"... Am I correct in thinking that the steeper the gear the less likely things will break as the torque required to turn the tires decreases which would lessen to torque load on the drivetrain? Thanks.
You could run 100 HP and if the tires hook well, you can break stuff

I recommend you get yourself some good LCA's/UCA's to hold up under such conditions. Of course, with less "give" in those parts, comes more strain on everything else, unfortunately

Jazzer
Old 08-07-2009, 08:37 AM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

well jazz...if you come UCA/LCA, what other things would it be hard on? That would cover the wheel hop traction and save the rearend i'm guess right? what else would it be hard on, trans? driveshaft?
Old 08-07-2009, 08:40 AM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fstanggt96
Hmmm. Did your trans/rearend make kind of a humming noise in 4th/5th gear at about 2k rpm at partial thottle? Mine does... I think the noise is my rearend? Car has 44k miles but I have no clue how the last 2 owners drove it. Your theorey makes sence to me lol.
You have the typical gear "whine". Some say it's from incorrect pinion depth/backlash setting but it's been shown that it's luck of the draw as mechanics who've done hundreds of gear swaps end up with the whine too. I wouldn't sweat it unless it gets unbearable to listen to.

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
You could run 100 HP and if the tires hook well, you can break stuff

I recommend you get yourself some good LCA's/UCA's to hold up under such conditions. Of course, with less "give" in those parts, comes more strain on everything else, unfortunately

Jazzer
Thx but help me understand something. My mechanic dude did recommend the UCAs/LCAs but.....I'm already getting mad traction (maybe too much) so what would be the purpose of getting them? Do they help with weight transfer or anything else? Tonight instead of rubber melting burnouts I'm gonna do some good 1st gear dry hops and leave at idle with some clutch working and see how that goes. Thx alot.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:16 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

disposable... Dumping clutch is going to be hard on just about every component of your drivetrain. The energy is transferred directly into the chassis when the tires hook up well.

ryg... I would recommend you do some serious strengthening of your ride for such activities as you do. FLSFC's for sure, torque-box re-inforcement and regularly nut/bolt your car. As parts fail, unfortunately a by-product of hard driving, replace with upgraded parts (input shaft of trans, 31 spline axles and such)

As for LCA's/UCA's, just about all aftermarket ones will be stronger than stock, but many will create additional bind in the rear axle you just don't need. Head over to my suspension guide (link in sig) and lots of good info you can take to your mechanic and upgrade before you degrade!

Jazzer
Old 08-07-2009, 09:25 AM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

Old 08-07-2009, 09:35 AM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

Jazzer, thx for the tips. Being a DD I don't plan on getting crazy with the car and am ending my temporary urges of dumping clutches as it's usually not my style. Rolling the clutch has gotten me great results anyhow. But if I start getting more aggressive and going for a higher level of performance I'm definatly gonna upgrade proactivly and go over your helpful suspension info. Thx again.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:02 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Originally Posted by 99BlackPonyGT
Filet piņion....

Jazzer on grinding your teeth

Last edited by Jazzer The Cat; 08-07-2009 at 12:05 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:04 PM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

sorry i meant, in reguards to if you get control arms.. that will help things.. but what would that hurt i meant, if you got those. sorry i didn't explain myself right.

Quick Reply: DRs + stock drivetrain