Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

bbk headers???

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 05:00 PM
abnstang
1st Gear Member

Default bbk headers???

i got a pretty good quote from a local shop on them but was wondering your guys oppinion. the shop has a pretty good reputation with a daily driven 10 sec car and the 10-12 mustangs of all types in the lot at all times. i went in a played stupid (which isnt that hard) and the gave me decent prices and good advice on a few things. so the real question is are the worth the metal theyre made of?????
Old 02-05-2010, 12:08 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

depends on who you ask. Most will tell ya they're priced much less for a reason (inferior materials and welds) but some say they've had em for a while and are very happy with them. One option is to do what I did and wait for a good deal on a set of used LTs of one of the more universally respected brands. But like I said you'll get different feedback so it comes down to your comfort level with the product and the people you'll be dealing with.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:15 PM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

One thing to consider with these cars when buying headers is whether you can pull the tranny without pulling the headers, and I believe you can't with the BBKs. When Im ready to buy headers Im going with the best or nothing at all..........Kooks.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:36 PM
Fstanggt96
3rd Gear Member

I was going to do MAC at first but realized that Kooks and American Racing allow you to drop the tranny without removing the headers. I am very happy with my American Racing headers. One thing about ARH that is better than Kooks though is they are a 1 peice design so there is no chance of an exhaust leak, other than that they are pretty much the same. All you have to worry about is what gaskets you get lol. Dont order the ones from LethalPerformance, they're teflon... Get OEM gaskets from Ford. Do it right the first time because it is very expensive... I paid $1350 for mine at LMPerformance.com, cheapest I could find them.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:30 AM
grif62
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fstanggt96
I was going to do MAC at first but realized that Kooks and American Racing allow you to drop the tranny without removing the headers. I am very happy with my American Racing headers. One thing about ARH that is better than Kooks though is they are a 1 peice design so there is no chance of an exhaust leak, other than that they are pretty much the same. All you have to worry about is what gaskets you get lol. Dont order the ones from LethalPerformance, they're teflon... Get OEM gaskets from Ford. Do it right the first time because it is very expensive... I paid $1350 for mine at LMPerformance.com, cheapest I could find them.
Do you have to buy new gaskets or can u just use the old ones for the headers?

op, I heard mixed results for bbk headers, but if you dont want to spend that much then bbk will do the job.

Last edited by grif62; 02-06-2010 at 08:32 AM.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:06 AM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by grif62
Do you have to buy new gaskets or can u just use the old ones for the headers?
they're not absolutly necessary as some have reused the stockers with no problems, but most, myself included, feel more comfortable laying down a lil bit of $ for new ones.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:35 AM
abnstang
1st Gear Member

how much should the install be... ive heard long tubes are pretty involved.. im not great but ive done most of the work to my cars and my friends.. dropping the k member is more than i want to tackle...
Old 02-06-2010, 09:55 AM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by abnstang
how much should the install be... ive heard long tubes are pretty involved.. im not great but ive done most of the work to my cars and my friends.. dropping the k member is more than i want to tackle...
probably depends a little in what area you live in, but I've gotten quotes from $475-$700. Don't hesitate to be willing to pay a little more if you feel that person/shop is more thorough than the cheaper one.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:33 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

It runs $480 around here to install LTs. If you are not comfortable dropping the K-member yourself, then you really need to consider paying someone. Its damn near impossible to install them while the car is on the ground with the K-member in place. It can be done, but you'll have to lift the passenger side of the engine to do the install that way. Its not as bad as it sounds, but without the lift and proper tools/knowledge, its can be a pretty tough project.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:48 PM
Fstanggt96
3rd Gear Member

I was quoted $450 and ended up paying $620 because two sensors stripped out. You have to unbolt the engine and lift it about 2 inches and remove the cross member, so I would pay someone to do itl. It took 2 full days and my Dad and I helped them through the last hour or so of the process lol. They also broke my dipstick... Go to the more experienced shop lol. This shop said that my car would be the first and last Mustang they would do headers on haha! Buy new gaskets, they're like $40 tops...

Quick Reply: bbk headers???