Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

Problem that's got everyone stumped...including Ford

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 09:43 AM
Mach1Mr&Mrs

Default Problem that's got everyone stumped...including Ford

We have been having problems with the transmission leaking, and despite repeated trips to the dealership, we have had no success in resolving the problem.

The transmission continues to leak from the rear output shaft seal. In the last 3 years and 18k miles, I have had the output shaft seal replaced 5 times, the tailshaft housing replaced (with a new brass bushing), and on top of the leaking, it rattles sporadically in 5th and in neutral in the 5th and reverse gate when its cold and when the car has been sitting for a while. I have also had the shifter replaced. Ford has said the rattle could be gear rollover and is normal, I disagree. The dealership called Ford Engineering the last time the car was in and they recommended installing a new slip yoke. That did not fix the problem. It still continues to leak from the rear seal. The car is now sitting at the dealership and waiting on Ford Engineering to call back with answers. Ford has said they may even send an engineer to look at it in person as this seems to have everyone stumped. I've wondered if the problem could be as simple as the techs overfilling the fluid, but I don't see how even if they did it would cause it to still leak.

Warranty company has also refused to pay for any more repairs until the real problem is identified. Only then will they reimburse me.

Anyone had or heard of this problem with the tranny fluid? Thanks.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:11 PM
Fstanggt96
3rd Gear Member

I think mine is leaking a little as well, but just barely. I dont have the rattling issue though... Sounds like a good time for a T56 6 speed lol.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:31 AM
Justinr1001
2nd Gear Member

I don't see why they just won't put you a new trans in and be done with it.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:17 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

T56 swap FTW!
Old 03-05-2010, 07:36 PM
machracer11
3rd Gear Member

I have the same rattling problem but no leak. My rattle started like about 2 years ago with around 65k miles and i dont know about you but my local ford dealership has some idiots working for it so i took it to the best mechanic i know (wont trust anybody else with my car) and he said that without pulling the tranny out of the car he would say that either something in the gearbox has rattled loose or needs to be rebuilt. With that said I have driven on the rattle for 35k miles and have not had one single issue other than the sporadic sound coming through the tunnel. The way i see it is when the thing does give up (if it ever does) im putting in a t-56 or getting the darn thing rebuilt and beefed up big time (kinda wanna keep matching numbers)

not sure if this helps but just wanted you to know i havent had any issues other than the annoying noise.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:37 PM
machracer11
3rd Gear Member

and what part of mississippi are you from if you dont mind me asking hah
Old 03-05-2010, 07:45 PM
watman02
2nd Gear Member

how about the drive shaft does it have a groove worn into it this could be why the leak comes back after new seals are installed.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:14 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Could it be a bad transmission mount? The extra movement could cause the rattle and leaking if the seal is having to much pressure put on one side or the other.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:22 PM
watman02
2nd Gear Member

the mount could make the rattle but the output shaft on the trans would half to be moving around alot to make the seal deform and then leak
Old 03-08-2010, 01:11 PM
Hicompression
2nd Gear Member

Default Slip Yoke may be leaking.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see you have already replaced your slip yoke.

Last edited by Hicompression; 03-08-2010 at 01:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Problem that's got everyone stumped...including Ford