Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

So im pretty pissed right now...

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 11:40 PM
Fstanggt96
3rd Gear Member

Default So im pretty pissed right now...

Today, during my lunchbreak, I pulled onto the streat and gave my car a little gas(maybe 4500-5000 rpm) shifted to second and stopped in traffic. During deceleration, my car made some unusual popping/crackling exhaust noises and then right before I stopped, the engine died!!!! WTF was that? It started right back up and ran like normal... It also idled for about 3-4 minutes before I drove it so... Has this happened to you? Why would this happen, I swear the car is never abused. lets just say, if it cannot handle the way I drive then there is something seriousely wrong with build quality. Any ideas?
Old 04-30-2010, 10:53 AM
DaMach04
4th Gear Member

does the car idle ok? a friend of mine had a similar problem, when he would decelerate quickly and the RPMS dropped quickly, the car would stall. He just had to fix his IAC. Idle Air Control. I know mustangs are notorious for IAC problems
Old 04-30-2010, 12:51 PM
PaintballFreak
4th Gear Member

Mine has stalled a couple of times randomly. Only twice in the 10 months that I've had it and both times when coming to a stop. It's not really something to worry about unless it starts happening frequently.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:10 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

Yea....Buy a 2011 5.0 and I bet that will be able to handle your driving style
Old 04-30-2010, 02:06 PM
.boB
3rd Gear Member

Cracking and popping out the exhaust is often caused by a lean condition. Sounds like your fuel pump may be dying.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:28 PM
watman02
2nd Gear Member

or it could be the other way since you let is sit and warm up for 4min then punched it you could have been over fueling the engine and that could have casued the car to stall. that is the more likly senario
Old 04-30-2010, 09:12 PM
Fstanggt96
3rd Gear Member

Ok so what I did was I got in my car, started it up, let it run for like 30 seconds, drove it into the bays at work, bought a coke and bull ****ted for a minute, then drove through the parking lot to meridian, sat for like 30 seconds and just tried to feel the torque a little. I didn't stab it or anything, I just rolled into it. It died right before I stopped... There is no noise coming from the fuel pump, my 96 GT had a bad fuel pump and it wined really laud. The car idles at 800 rpm, when you come to a stop it sits at 1000 for a second. *note* the car, to me, idles slightly rougher than it did when I bought it in August last year. Mustang3GT07 is real funny lol, I dont beat my car at all and I have never raced/ street raced it. I have only done 3 burnouts in it and they weren't all that amazing. For the record, I am 19 Years old and have no tickets at all and have never been in an accident while I was driving (proof that I am not boy racer)... Knock on wood.

Recent changes to the car:
- Replaced spark plugs gapped correctly and OEM, changed oil RP, tranny fluid Motorcraft, fuel filter.
- JLT CAI fender mount

The front end is also making a popping noise like a bad strut? or maybe a broken motor mount, I have no clue but it is driving me insane. When I start it, sometimes it sounds like the motor hits something when it turns over. I cant figure this out, its time for a 2011 I think and I dont know what Ill do if I cant afford that, maybe an STI or something...

Last edited by Fstanggt96; 04-30-2010 at 09:14 PM.
Old 05-01-2010, 06:57 AM
JDraper
2nd Gear Member

First of all, how can you say that "there is something seriously wrong with the build quality if it can't handle the way I drive it" when you've modified the car? Your modifications may be causing it to stall. And I highly doubt your driving style is so unique that the car can't handle it. These cars can take a lot.

Stop pissing and moaning about the build quality before you know what the root of the problems are. If you think the car is that bad, sell it to someone who will appreciate it.

Now, some questions and comments.

1. Have you ever put it on a dyno and checked what the a/f ratios look like after all your mods were installed? If not, your a/f ratios could be off causing the problem.

2. Mach's are notorious for being a little cranky when putting certain CAI's on without the MAF screen in place. K&N intakes are the most finicky, not sure about JLT's.

3. On the knock on startup. Since you have a modified exhaust and intake, it could be one of those components rattling against something on startup. If it were an engine mount, it would be present at more times than just at idle.

4. How many miles are on your car?

You've got a couple of minor problems with a modified car that should be fairly easy to solve. I don't care what car you have or buy, if you modify it, you're always going to run into small problems here and there. It's the nature of the beast. I've been doing this kind of stuff for far longer than you've been alive, and I've seen it over and over. If this kind of stuff bugs you that badly, sell it and buy a totally stock vehicle and never modify it. These aren't caused by build quality, they are caused by modification.

Last edited by JDraper; 05-01-2010 at 07:00 AM.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:20 AM
Fstanggt96
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JDraper
First of all, how can you say that "there is something seriously wrong with the build quality if it can't handle the way I drive it" when you've modified the car? Your modifications may be causing it to stall. And I highly doubt your driving style is so unique that the car can't handle it. These cars can take a lot.

Stop pissing and moaning about the build quality before you know what the root of the problems are. If you think the car is that bad, sell it to someone who will appreciate it.

Now, some questions and comments.

1. Have you ever put it on a dyno and checked what the a/f ratios look like after all your mods were installed? If not, your a/f ratios could be off causing the problem.

2. Mach's are notorious for being a little cranky when putting certain CAI's on without the MAF screen in place. K&N intakes are the most finicky, not sure about JLT's.

3. On the knock on startup. Since you have a modified exhaust and intake, it could be one of those components rattling against something on startup. If it were an engine mount, it would be present at more times than just at idle.

4. How many miles are on your car?

You've got a couple of minor problems with a modified car that should be fairly easy to solve. I don't care what car you have or buy, if you modify it, you're always going to run into small problems here and there. It's the nature of the beast. I've been doing this kind of stuff for far longer than you've been alive, and I've seen it over and over. If this kind of stuff bugs you that badly, sell it and buy a totally stock vehicle and never modify it. These aren't caused by build quality, they are caused by modification.
Im talking about the front end issue as well when I am complaining about build quality, the car has 50,7xx niles on it. I have had my Dad look around the car as I start it and turn it off to see if it is hitting anything and its not even close. All im trying to say is that for the most part I drive it like I drive my moms Toyota Camery 95% of the time and its having these issues. Im starting to think the car was hammerd on pretty good by its previouse owners. You are obviously free to comment on any thread on this website but if my post is going to bug you this bad then I dont apreciate your feedback. I dont see how you can take my issue with my car this personal. I wasnt talking about your car...
Old 05-01-2010, 12:32 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

My front end in cobra was making a popping sound, kind of how your are describing it and I couldn't figure out what it was. So I had my uncle who is a mechanic look at it and it turned out I need new Steering Rack Bushings.

Quick Reply: So im pretty pissed right now...