Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

Cobra Jet scoop badge

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 10:05 PM
Explosive

Default Cobra Jet scoop badge

Got into it with someone on another forum. He says it's a fake autozone badge. I've seen them on tons of machs. But I also see machs without it. Is this something that came with the car but most guys peel off it or falls off ?
Old 07-18-2010, 10:29 PM
Mach1man
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Explosive
Got into it with someone on another forum. He says it's a fake autozone badge. I've seen them on tons of machs. But I also see machs without it. Is this something that came with the car but most guys peel off it or falls off ?
First of all, they aren't fake. Second, they didn't come stock on the cars from the factory, although Scott Hoag, the head engineer on the project lobbied very hard for them. The compromise from the Ford bean counters was the "R" engine code in the VIN number. On the original 69-70 Mach 1's, an R code engine was the designation for the 428 Cobra Jet with ram air shaker hood. I ordered my Cobra Jet emblems before I even had the car in my posession, and they've been on it ever since the car was brand new, some seven and a half years now!

Old 07-18-2010, 10:51 PM
Explosive

Anyone have a link to an article or anything about it ? I know it seems about half and half for the badges. I think they look good. The installation looks factory.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:03 PM
Mach1man
2nd Gear Member

They're a simple stick on emblem, using a 3M adhesive backing, and are available from almost all the big, and some small Mustang parts vendors. There are two kinds, the cheaper plastic ones, that tend to warp and fall off, and the heavier chrome plated metal ones, which are well worth the extra money.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:19 PM
Explosive

I like the look. But I'm the first one to pick out fake badges on cars. Part of me wants to leave them. But part of me wants to pull them off. I guess tomorrow I'll take a look at both sides and if either side is crooked or uneven they will come off.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:50 PM
Mach1man
2nd Gear Member

I'd be more interested in knowing what your criteria for "fake" is.

What makes a Cobra Jet emblem attached to a shaker hood scoop on a Ford Mach 1 Mustang a fake?

If you say it's fake because the engine in the engine bay isn't a pushrod 428 FE motor, that's pretty lame. After all, Ford applies the Cobra Jet moniker to whatever suits them. There have been 428 Cobra Jets, 429 Super Cobra Jets, 351 Cobra Jets, and now Ford has released an entire Mustang car called a Cobra Jet.

So what makes one "real", and one "fake?"

If you go back to my original explanation above, in 1969 and 1970, only Mach 1's with the 428 motor AND the ram air shaker scoop had an "R" code engine designation, the same as our 2003-2004 Mach 1's, and only the "R" code cars carried the Cobra Jet emblem on the sides of the shaker scoop.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:33 PM
Explosive

Fake as in not originally on the car/Factory badge not designed for the car. I.E. Cobra badges on a GT. However I'm ok with aftermarket stuff like the 281 badge instead of a GT ect.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:57 PM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

I never seen that before, I say leave it on. It looks good
Old 07-20-2010, 05:35 PM
SnakeConvert98
1st Gear Member

Don't forget the Torino Cobra which also had the "R" code option and the Cobra Jet emblem on the sides of their scoops, though the originals back in the day were bolted on NOT stick on!!

Originally Posted by Mach1man
I'd be more interested in knowing what your criteria for "fake" is.

What makes a Cobra Jet emblem attached to a shaker hood scoop on a Ford Mach 1 Mustang a fake?

If you say it's fake because the engine in the engine bay isn't a pushrod 428 FE motor, that's pretty lame. After all, Ford applies the Cobra Jet moniker to whatever suits them. There have been 428 Cobra Jets, 429 Super Cobra Jets, 351 Cobra Jets, and now Ford has released an entire Mustang car called a Cobra Jet.

So what makes one "real", and one "fake?"

If you go back to my original explanation above, in 1969 and 1970, only Mach 1's with the 428 motor AND the ram air shaker scoop had an "R" code engine designation, the same as our 2003-2004 Mach 1's, and only the "R" code cars carried the Cobra Jet emblem on the sides of the shaker scoop.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:28 PM
mestit3
2nd Gear Member

I too am trying to decide if I like them or not :/

Quick Reply: Cobra Jet scoop badge