Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

NUMBERS DON'T LIE

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 06:53 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Larry Warcup
When you say that "...keeping the rpm 'up,'.... how up do you mean?

How much rwhp have you in that fine lookin' mach, by the way?

And are you runnin' 31 splines?

Larry
With good rubber out back, letting the clutch out too quickly drops the engine rpm too much which leads to massive bogging. The rpm doesn't drop as low with a gradual clutch engagement. In the vid you can hear the rpm drop in the initial clutch work, but I didn't nose dive like I used to before learning the method I use now. Even with DRs, dumping at high rpm netted me on low 1.9-high 1.8 short times. How much rwhp....I don't know. Using a weight/trap speed/ET calculator on my previous set-up with a 12.30 run, my crank hp was estimated at 360, or 306 rwhp factoring the 15% friction loss. I'd have to find that calculator again I guess. I really just go by what my timeslips tell me. No 31 splines, stock everything except the gears. That's another benefit of working the clutch, stock axles hold up just fine from less of a sudden jolt of torque. Sorry for the book, lol.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:57 PM
TexasMach
1st Gear Member

Great times boss! Im going to attempt your method of easing the clutch out. I've never took the mach to the strip but I have this perfect road close to home where I've been practicing my launches.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:52 AM
Larry Warcup
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the tips, rygi23.
The Drag-Racing Season is over
where I live, in the Pacific Northwest
...but you can be I'll be practicing this style in the Spring.

Thanks for your tips...really helpful, for sure.

Larry
Old 12-02-2010, 06:06 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TexasMach
Great times boss! Im going to attempt your method of easing the clutch out. I've never took the mach to the strip but I have this perfect road close to home where I've been practicing my launches.
Thx! I'm assuming you are practicing launches with regular street tires. You have ALOT of clutch working ahead of ya. A completly different animal than a sticky tire. Best of luck, take her to the track sometime..it's a blast.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:12 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Larry Warcup
Thanks for the tips, rygi23.
The Drag-Racing Season is over
where I live, in the Pacific Northwest
...but you can be I'll be practicing this style in the Spring.

Thanks for your tips...really helpful, for sure.

Larry
No problem man. I'm warning you though, you'll feel like less of a man doing my style of launch instead of just mashing the gas and letting her rip. Be patient with it and watch the 60' times slowly but surely get faster. My season's over too here in MD. It's a shame because high revving cars LOVE colder air. I'm always curious about how much more hp our cars would make going down the track on a frigid winter day.