Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

Possible new '03 owner!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 07:17 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

Default Possible new '03 owner!

Long story shot...a lot has happened today and if all goes well I may be getting into a AB 03 Mach 1 with 71K mi. I'm gonna go look at it this weekend prob.

I'm not new to the 4v motor as I had a 95 Mark8, but I am somewhat new to the known/unknown problems or things to look for in these cars.

I have heard of the "head tick" and accompanying "head cooling mod". I clearly don't want to buy the car with the tick and if it doesn't have it, this will be the first mod done for preventative maintenance.

From what I have gathered it's completely stock with a rebuilt tranny by the dealer due to "crunchy gears" and rebuilt tranny due to clutch dicks grinding.

What else is something to pay attention to? I'm going to continue to research but I would love to get input from you guys since I will linger here a lot, I do already but for having an 04 GT.

Payments/insurance seem to be working out...I have money lined up...it's on to looking at it and a test drive...needless to say I'm getting excited LOL

Thanks!
Dean
Old 12-07-2010, 08:02 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

hello Dean and welcome to our lil Mach section. You covered the only two issues that one could say need addressed. The head tick is extremly rare with Machs but has happened so the cooling mod is a welcome if it's in the budget I guess. The tranny...well the syncronizers usually are fine unless powershifting has happened, mine included (3rd and 4th went, lol). Every car has it's querks you know, but the Machs are truly awesome cars. The bang for the buck in performance can't be beat. If the car's up to your standards, the price is right, and it wows you after a test drive then go for it. If you do, we're here if you have any questions.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:24 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

Thanks a lot Ry, I have been looming around and have seen progress of you at the track and I'm impressed. Congrats too.

I have never heard the head tick in person, so I don't know exactly what it is. I have watched youtube videos and it sounds just like a ticking LOL I know it's in the back of the drivers side head just from doing research of the valve guides getting worn.

I have a MGW in my 04 that I plan to swap over to the Mach as well as HID headlights and foglights...I'll maybe pick up a stock CB and save my Magnapack CB and sell it. Car has MRT catted H and ____ for a CB (I forget the brand but I know it has one) It's lowered and everything else is stock.

Was there a big difference between the 03's and 04's? Other than colors offered. I signed up on mach1registry to poke around as well.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:53 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by smitty2919
Thanks a lot Ry, I have been looming around and have seen progress of you at the track and I'm impressed. Congrats too. Was there a big difference between the 03's and 04's? Other than colors offered. I signed up on mach1registry to poke around as well.
Thx, and no there was no big difference. Minor cosmetic details, that's all. Mechanically and structurally exactly the same. Like I said, the head tick is extremly rare, much more common in cobras. I've never heard it in person either.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:57 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

OK I thought it was common in the 4V in general. Was that because of the added stress and heat due to the SC? At least that's what I would assume.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:16 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by smitty2919
OK I thought it was common in the 4V in general. Was that because of the added stress and heat due to the SC? At least that's what I would assume.
It's from not enough coolant reaching that rear part of the cylinder head under prolonged hard acceleration during 4th and 5th gear pulls. The factory SC does hold some heat compared to other ones. That, and the stronger acceleration in the higher gears I'm sure doesn't help.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:25 PM
Larry Warcup
3rd Gear Member

Hey smitty2919! Good to see there might be another Mach-maniac on the site!

You're gonna like the feel of the Mach1, for sure...keep us posted!

Old 12-08-2010, 07:30 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

Thanks Larry!

I'm going to look at it tomorrow night after work. I've done a lot of research on this car and it's as straight as an arrow. He's the original owner as well. Everything is falling into place!
Old 12-09-2010, 01:37 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

Anyone happen to know the dates of the cars which are prone to the head tick? I read around it's the "early" production 03's and I think I saw dates, but I don't know where I saw it LOL

Like 03's produced before _____(fill in the date) are prone to the tick.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:40 PM
03gt04mach1
3rd Gear Member

Same here. Glad there may be another Mach in the Flock. Our '04 has 75,000 on the ticker.

Quick Reply: Possible new '03 owner!