Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

Mach1 gone!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 06:00 AM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

^^^ My SS averages 14.5 mpg, no more than 17 on the Hwy. My 4.10 geared Mach got 24 hwy, 17 city 0_0

TBSS's drink fuel... bad. Its worth it though, lol.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:29 PM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stone629
What do you think about the TBSS so far, Dark? Have you decided for sure which route you want to take as far as modding goes? I ask because if you're anything like me, you change your mind everyday, lol.

I just got my Efan on last week. Its a good mod for sure. She probably picked up a solid 10rwhp judging by the way it feels. She's spinning a tad more when I get on the throttle and feels lighter (due to better throttle response prolly). I'd definitely do an Efan and tune if nothing else.
Its running better by the day, seems like The dealer used 87 octane on it and ran like **** when i picked it up. I want to replace the plugs just incase, you know the best plugs to use? My buddy says ngk tr55s work great on ls motors like on the mach. I'm still undecided on what to do, one part of me wants to mod it and make it a little sleeper, another wants to keep it close to stock realizing it's a daily driver for the baby. I will do intake/muffler delete/ tune within the next couple weeks. Not yet sure on the whole headers, cam and stall (which is supposedly necessary with a cam), since like you said, the tranny is a weak link. I want to do the e-fan but since the truck came with a year bumper to bumper warranty I don't want to jeopardize that with something complex like an electric fan, the intake and tune can quickly be removed for a warranty repair, not so much the electric fan
Originally Posted by smitty2919
Nice! The TB SS and the Jeep SRT8 are prob the only two SUV's I would give up my Mach for (if I HAD to drop the mach and I could afford it)

Hows the MPG's on the SS vs the Mach?
I have not measured it yet, though like stone said, its a guzzler for sure but it is not bad considering it's weight.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:46 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

The dealer did the same thing to me and put 87 in it. It was pinging like crazy until I got some 93 in it. I'm not sure about the plugs, but I will check around and find out for ya. I feel the same way about my SS and the mods. I am glad I did the fan, but I would do what you're doing since you have a warranty. Its definitely not worth ditching the warranty over 10-12 horses. I'm going to order a Volant intake next week, so the only thing I'll have over you once you do your first mods is the EFAN, so we'll be able to compare ETs, etc, and possibly determine how good of a mod it really is. With that said, I can def tell some difference with the fan, its a good mod.

I've pretty much (the past 2 days anyway) decided to go with Yukon 4.56 gears before I sink a bunch of money into a stall and headers. I've read around that these trucks are beasts with that ratio. Its the 75lb 20 inch wheels and giant 9.5" rear diff thats holding them back. 4.56s pretty much cancel a lot of that loss out, and an added perk is that its easier on the trans. People that have done 4.56s claim a 2-3 mpg increase in city, and a 2-3 loss hwy, and are running high 12s with the gears, tune, intake, tires, and efan. 90% of my driving is city, so I'm good there. What's your opinion about the gears?
Old 06-15-2011, 08:28 PM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

The dealer did the same thing to me and put 87 in it. It was pinging like crazy until I got some 93 in it. I'm not sure about the plugs, but I will check around and find out for ya. I feel the same way about my SS and the mods. I am glad I did the fan, but I would do what you're doing since you have a warranty. Its definitely not worth ditching the warranty over 10-12 horses. I'm going to order a Volant intake next week, so the only thing I'll have over you once you do your first mods is the EFAN, so we'll be able to compare ETs, etc, and possibly determine how good of a mod it really is. With that said, I can def tell some difference with the fan, its a good mod.

I've pretty much (the past 2 days anyway) decided to go with Yukon 4.56 gears before I sink a bunch of money into a stall and headers. I've read around that these trucks are beasts with that ratio. Its the 75lb 20 inch wheels and giant 9.5" rear diff thats holding them back. 4.56s pretty much cancel a lot of that loss out, and an added perk is that its easier on the trans. People that have done 4.56s claim a 2-3 mpg increase in city, and a 2-3 loss hwy, and are running high 12s with the gears, tune, intake, tires, and efan. 90% of my driving is city, so I'm good there. What's your opinion about the gears?
No doubt its a great mod, I've read nothing but good things about it. I should be doing the muffler delete this weekend, order the intake next week im going with the Vector and the tune in 2 weeks or so from Johan at Diablosport and its off to the track. I have been thinking about gears but havent ran across any threads about it. Those gears with a mild cam would be killer but that would probably put me at 9-10mpg since the car is mostly driven on the highway, LOL! Go for it if you work relatively close to your house, Ill consider it after the warranty.

Last edited by darkmach1; 06-15-2011 at 08:46 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:46 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by darkmach1
No doubt its a great mod, I've read nothing but good things about it. I should be doing the muffler delete this weekend, order the intake next week im going with the Vector and the tune in 2 weeks or so from Hohan at Diablosport and its off to the track. I have been thinking about gears but havent ran across any threads about it. Those gears with a mild cam would be killer but that would probably put me at 9-10mpg since the car is mostly driven on the highway, LOL! Go for it if you work relatively close to your house, Ill consider it after the warranty.
I'm headed to the 1/8th mile tomorrow night weather permitting, so I'll let you know what the fan does. I'm yanking the rear seat as well, so the efan gains won't be 100% accurate.

You'll like the delete, it sounds really clean, not obnoxious, just audible with a deep rumble. I love the sound personally.

Here's a thread about those gears. http://www.tbssowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12487 There are a couple more gear threads out there, but not many. I figured it would be a popular mod, but it doesn't look like a lot of people have done it. Honestly, thats where the SRT-8 GC has the advantage over us. Those sombiches are geared way low. The AWD is nice too, but I think the gearing in those things is overlooked, and is where the low end acceleration is really coming from..... and the shatty mileage, lol.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:36 PM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

I'm headed to the 1/8th mile tomorrow night weather permitting, so I'll let you know what the fan does. I'm yanking the rear seat as well, so the efan gains won't be 100% accurate.

You'll like the delete, it sounds really clean, not obnoxious, just audible with a deep rumble. I love the sound personally.

Here's a thread about those gears. http://www.tbssowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12487 There are a couple more gear threads out there, but not many. I figured it would be a popular mod, but it doesn't look like a lot of people have done it. Honestly, thats where the SRT-8 GC has the advantage over us. Those sombiches are geared way low. The AWD is nice too, but I think the gearing in those things is overlooked, and is where the low end acceleration is really coming from..... and the shatty mileage, lol.
So we got 4.10s from the factory with the 2wd? 4.56s seems like a good jump. Someone said in one of those threads that with 4.56s 3rd gear tops out at 105? Seems a bit low. Good luck tomorrow let us know how you do.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:13 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by darkmach1
So we got 4.10s from the factory with the 2wd? 4.56s seems like a good jump. Someone said in one of those threads that with 4.56s 3rd gear tops out at 105? Seems a bit low. Good luck tomorrow let us know how you do.
Yea, we got 4.10s stock. These big wheels pretty much eat up that normally aggressive ratio though.

I was thinking 105 was mighty low as well. I wonder if that was on shorter tires or something?

I'll update the S/S crowd as usual, lol.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:44 PM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

Couldnt wait, stone. I ordered the intake powdercoded black.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:39 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Nice! You got a link to it? I'd like to take a look at it.

I'm working on a deal with a guy on the tbss forums. He's got an Ieatsrt8 intake that he wants $150 for. Prolly going to jump on it.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:57 PM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

Nice! You got a link to it? I'd like to take a look at it.

I'm working on a deal with a guy on the tbss forums. He's got an Ieatsrt8 intake that he wants $150 for. Prolly going to jump on it.
Here it is but powdercoated black.

http://www.vectormotorsports.com/ind...mart&Itemid=28

But if you can get an ieatsrt8 for that price I'd jump on it, I wanted one but they're not made anymore.

Last edited by darkmach1; 06-16-2011 at 03:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Mach1 gone!