Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

Looking to Modify Stock 2004 Mach 1

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 11:45 PM
mach1wa

Default Looking to Modify Stock 2004 Mach 1

Hello to all,

New to the Mustang Forums website and fairly new to the Mustang community. I've owned my 2004 Mach 1 for almost a year now and am looking to start putting some money back into the car.

The car has almost 100,000 miles on it but has been maintained impeccably. I have service records all the way back and it's always ran synthetic fluids.

My question is this, I have about 7 to 8 thousand to put into this car right away and am wondering what would be the best mods for this car with this mileage. I am considering putting some cams in, I love the sound at idle and think it would freshen the engine up a bit. I was also considering forged internals in preparation for supercharging later down the line.

Any suggestions on how I should invest into this car? I'm looking for performance as well as prep for future mods.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:48 AM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

Have a compression test done, and if everything turns out good, i say throw a supercharger on it. you can run low (9-10psi)boost , make roughl 440rwhp and be safe. you can get a vortech for 3-4 grand easy, then add the gauges and tune and install and your set. or if ya want to go a little cheaper ou could do an eaton swap from an 03/04 cobra, only down side is it takes a while to piece together, but totally worth it IMO.

If your dead set on cams though, comp 106400 cams will give ya that chop you want but arent very blower friendly. those + a ported shortrunner intake, longutbe headers, some 4.10 or 4.30 gears and a tune would make that car an all motor animal.

pick your poison lol
Old 07-13-2011, 02:22 PM
954mach1
1st Gear Member

plus one above. you can get a nice used procharger or vortech kit for maybe $3-4 thousand. Plus 1500-2000 for install and dyno tune. Depending on your ability you could install it yourself and save some money. Then you would still have some left over for a nice exhaust system or something else.

Cams are nice but expensive and depending on which ones you go with you might see 25-35rwhp. To rebuild the motor with forged internals would be pricey. If you plan on making more then 450rwhp down the road then do that now. Depending on the shop I would say you are looking at maybe $5000 to rebuild with forged internals. You could always get a D1SC and keep a safe tune on it. When you save up enough money again to do the forged internals you could then retune to make lots more power.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:28 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Originally Posted by boduke0220
If your dead set on cams though, comp 106400 cams will give ya that chop you want but arent very blower friendly. those + a ported shortrunner intake, longutbe headers, some 4.10 or 4.30 gears and a tune would make that car an all motor animal.

pick your poison lol
Comp 106400 cams are going to need at least a 4.56 gear. 106100 would allow you to run the stock springs, make good power and save you a few hundred on springs.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:04 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

7k to 8k to put in her right away....ugh, must be nice, lol. With that much loot available you're going to get the recommendation to go straight to forced induction instead of letting bolt-ons knickle and dime you. I preferred making the most out of being naturally aspirated. But then, I didn't have 7k either. With your budget, a naturally aspirated car capable of 11s in the 1/4 mi. would be no problem at all. The choice is yours as to which route you want to take. Once you make your decision, we'll be sure to steer you in the right direction.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:01 PM
mach1wa

@rygi23, yes, I get to reenlist and cash in two months worth of leave so I've got a little spare change coming..

I was thinking the naturally aspirated route as well. I really love the sound of the cammed out Mach 1s I have heard and also want a build that will be reliable for the foreseeable future and freshen up the existing engine. Although, the sound of a supercharger is also sweet. I'm just trying to compare the two routes and see which route will give me the best value for the money.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:04 PM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mach1wa
@rygi23, yes, I get to reenlist and cash in two months worth of leave so I've got a little spare change coming..

I was thinking the naturally aspirated route as well. I really love the sound of the cammed out Mach 1s I have heard and also want a build that will be reliable for the foreseeable future and freshen up the existing engine. Although, the sound of a supercharger is also sweet. I'm just trying to compare the two routes and see which route will give me the best value for the money.
Best value is FI by far. Get a blower setup along with a midpipe and catback and get it all installed, save the rest for when and if the motor goes.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:16 PM
954mach1
1st Gear Member

Ive done the math before and if I remember correctly, getting a used supercharger or even new is the best bang for the buck mod
Old 07-14-2011, 10:30 PM
mach1wa

Any suggestions on where to go to find the used supercharger?
Old 07-14-2011, 10:38 PM
mach1wa

I like your Eaton swap, how much did all those pieces run?

Quick Reply: Looking to Modify Stock 2004 Mach 1