Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

mach 1 or 2010 gt

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 07:00 AM
Mazzabl

Default mach 1 or 2010 gt

hello, i currently drive a 2010 mustang gt that i purchased new about a year and a half ago. lately ive really been growing tired of the car and feel that i am not quite getting my moneys worth out of the car. the car is a base model gt(cloth interior), and has the dated 3v 4.6. i am considering trading in on a 2003/4 mach 1 yet there are pros and cons to each car. the mach 1 would lower my car payment, which is a plus, and i also feel it would be more refined having leather interior. the 4v 4.6 is also superior to the 3v in my gt, as well as having 3.55 gears as opposed to my 3.31's, performance obviously goes to the mach 1. however the mach 1 would be my daily driver and would have no factory warranty, which on my 2010, i have the extended warranty, as well as only having 12,500 miles on the car, which all the mach 1's ive seen have 40,00+, so i would be getting a car that is 6-7 years older, with no warranty and 30,000+ more miles. so from a logical point of view, keeping my gt is a better choice, however from a car enthusiest point of view, the mach 1 would be. as well as the mach 1 being far more rare and limited. just wanted some opinions to see what others would do in my situation. also those with mach 1's, have you had any major mechanical issues? any input is greatly appreciated.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:58 AM
05SatinSilverGT
2nd Gear Member

It really all depends if you just want performance or if you want a combination of performance & comfort. I have an '05 GT & my GF has an '04 CO Mach, in terms of comfort my '05 is superior in every aspect & I know the '10s are a notch above the 05-09s. The Mach is by no means uncomfortable, though the legroom is atrocious & I am by no means a big guy at 6'0 & 155 lbs, just something to consider. Stock for stock the Mach is the better performer with a 4v motor & a 6800 rpm redline for the 5 speed along with a forged crank. Looks are debatable, but I prefer the S197. Also FWIW, with the mods in my sig I have no problem whatsoever walking away from her Mach, the 3v is no slouch...though admittedly 4v > 3v in terms of sound. She got her Mach 1 with 52k for 13.5 I believe, 1 owner & bone stock down to the paper filter.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:31 AM
Mazzabl

Originally Posted by 05SatinSilverGT
It really all depends if you just want performance or if you want a combination of performance & comfort. I have an '05 GT & my GF has an '04 CO Mach, in terms of comfort my '05 is superior in every aspect & I know the '10s are a notch above the 05-09s. The Mach is by no means uncomfortable, though the legroom is atrocious & I am by no means a big guy at 6'0 & 155 lbs, just something to consider. Stock for stock the Mach is the better performer with a 4v motor & a 6800 rpm redline for the 5 speed along with a forged crank. Looks are debatable, but I prefer the S197. Also FWIW, with the mods in my sig I have no problem whatsoever walking away from her Mach, the 3v is no slouch...though admittedly 4v > 3v in terms of sound. She got her Mach 1 with 52k for 13.5 I believe, 1 owner & bone stock down to the paper filter.
thanks for the reply. i want a combination of comfort and performance. i test drove a mach 1 at a local ford dealer, it was a bone stock '04 with 42k miles asking 16,900, talked them down to 16,300. all in all the mach would lower my monthly payment by $90 a month which isnt a significant savings imo for a car 6 years older than mine. i loved the car though, the ride was a bit more harsh due to the firmer suspension but thats to be expected. i also loved the seats compared to my '10, i absolutely hate how the '10 seats have the headrest that pushes your head forward..very uncomfortable, makes no sense to me..the mach seats dont have that which is nice, as well as the leather. performance wise the mach felt pretty quick, didnt push it too hard on the test drive so i cant accurately compare the performance with my '10 gt, which has intake, tune and catback. i love the looks of the mach 1 especially the azure blue, although i cant seem to find one local. the one i test drove was torch red which im not crazy about..still a gorgeous car. i just dont want to ditch a car with a factory warranty for an older car with no warranty and then run into a major mechanical issue and have to pay out of pocket to fix.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:29 PM
05SatinSilverGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mazzabl
thanks for the reply. i want a combination of comfort and performance. i test drove a mach 1 at a local ford dealer, it was a bone stock '04 with 42k miles asking 16,900, talked them down to 16,300. all in all the mach would lower my monthly payment by $90 a month which isnt a significant savings imo for a car 6 years older than mine. i loved the car though, the ride was a bit more harsh due to the firmer suspension but thats to be expected. i also loved the seats compared to my '10, i absolutely hate how the '10 seats have the headrest that pushes your head forward..very uncomfortable, makes no sense to me..the mach seats dont have that which is nice, as well as the leather. performance wise the mach felt pretty quick, didnt push it too hard on the test drive so i cant accurately compare the performance with my '10 gt, which has intake, tune and catback. i love the looks of the mach 1 especially the azure blue, although i cant seem to find one local. the one i test drove was torch red which im not crazy about..still a gorgeous car. i just dont want to ditch a car with a factory warranty for an older car with no warranty and then run into a major mechanical issue and have to pay out of pocket to fix.
The leather in the Machs are very nice, though, to me, any leather feels better than cloth. As for the headrests, I can't comment since my head rarely rests on mine anyway but it isn't the first time i've heard a complaint about them on the '10s (same goes for the '09+ F-150s). Either way you can't go wrong, they're both beautiful cars with their own pros/cons. As far as mechanical issues, *knock on wood* none so far. I have heard they can develop the head ticking issue that the early Terminators had, but I may be mistaken plus that's mainly the early-mid '03s but CAN happen to the '04s. Hopefully someone with more experience with them can chime in.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:31 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

Mach 1...now if you had a new 5.0 then I would say keep the 5.0

Mach 1's are more of a rare car and don't see many of them on the road, some people care about "rareity". I had an 04 GT and would LOVE a Cobra, but my car serves as a DD as well so the Mach 1 was a perfect blend between a GT and a Cobra with it's own personality.

A CAI, tune, catback, 4.10's and a short throw shifter and the Mach 1 is a fun car that will be over the 300rwhp range.

good Mach 1 source for info...

www.mach1registry.com

put it this way...I'm all for DD and comfort all while having a sporty car, and I would not give up my Mach for a 2010 3V with cloth interior and higher car payment.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:42 PM
Mazzabl

thanks for the replies. im leaning towards getting a mach 1, although i would really like to find the right one. i'd love a bone stock '04 in blue with under 35k miles. i've been searching every major used car source i can and see mach 1's pop up here and there..i'll just have to keep searching for that perfect mach for me.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:50 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

go to that forum I linked....people are selling Mach's left and right. The crowd on that forum is the "low mile stock mach 1" types. There are also some that mod them to high heaven.

But you can find some solid cars over there that are bound to be wel kept/garaged. I bought my 03 Azure Blue from a member on there with 72K mi original owner down to the original window sticker and build sheet both laminated for $10K last december.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:10 PM
Mazzabl

Originally Posted by smitty2919
go to that forum I linked....people are selling Mach's left and right. The crowd on that forum is the "low mile stock mach 1" types. There are also some that mod them to high heaven.

But you can find some solid cars over there that are bound to be wel kept/garaged. I bought my 03 Azure Blue from a member on there with 72K mi original owner down to the original window sticker and build sheet both laminated for $10K last december.
i've searched that site for over a month now, ive found its very hard to find a mach in bone stock form on there and the rare occasion there is a stock one for sale, its nowhere near local an they over price the car knowing how hard it is to find a stock one, especially on that site. plus i would prefer to buy from a dealer seeing as how i still have a remaining loan on my current car, it would be more convenient buying from a major dealer. thanks though.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:25 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

I guess it depend son what you consider "stock"

Considering what you are buying...a mustang...not to many people will not modify their exhaust, lower it, put a short throw shifter on it.

I consider a car "stock" as long as there is no mods done that I can't see. If someone had done engine work, or clutch work or rear wnd gears...then you are messing with stuff. I'm weary unless they can provide full documentation of all work done.

I bought my car with it lowered, midpipe and catback, short throw shifter and CAI. Even with those minor mods, he had EVERY single receipt of every oil change, every receipt for a part he bough online etc. I got the whole history of the car with it.

It's also supply and demand. You can find a low mile Mach 1 for $18K or get a 50K+ mi Cobra for same money if not $20K+.

Hell some people on that site have bought their car new and only have 7K mi etc on it...screw that I'll DRIVE my car thank you LOL.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:15 PM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

Tough decision. I have a 2012 5.0 and theres no way I'd go to a Mach 1. But a 2010 is a different story. Machs are beautiful cars, and they are pretty comfortable rides, despite what people say. It really depends on what you want though. A Mach 1 feels very raw, muscle, old school. More importantly, the Mach 1 is rarer than a 2010 GT.

Honestly though, IMO, interior wise , both cars feel equal. Seeing as how you have a 2010 BASE model interior. The base model is drastically different from a premium in the newer cars.

Personally, I'd go with the Mach 1. I've always loved those cars, and even though it's 8 years old at this point, I'd still rock it.

Quick Reply: mach 1 or 2010 gt