Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

White smoke

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 05:38 PM
TRMach1
2nd Gear Member

Default White smoke

Recently I changed the pcv on my car and noticed that the notorious blue smoke that these 4vs had stopped. Well that was about 2 weeks ago, a week later the blue smoke came back again but now I kinda noticed that my car would throw smoke of I hit it hard but this only started after the pcv change. I really wasn't positive if it was smoke or my head playing tricks with me, well today on my way home after traveling 120 miles (which I do every other day of the week so I travel 360 miles a week in my mach which has 49,963 miles) I decide to hit it hard but I see no smoke and I did this a couple of times and nothing. Well I got home and I did see smoke, white smoke this time, just like condensation. The thing is when I went to check my oil it barely had any, so could it be smoking because of little oil? I was under the impression that white smoke meant cooling and blue oil but this has never happened before and this is also the first time I have tried 5-20 synthetic blend Motocraft I have used 10-30 high mileage full synthetic mobil one in the past. I also took the pcv out to see how it was and I noticed that a tiny bit of smoke was coming out as well then I opened the oil cap and it did the same, after I checked the oil and put the pcv back I turned the car on and blue smoke came out then a ton of white smoke. There is no check engine light or oil light and all my gauges are reading right but I am low on oil.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:08 PM
Tom V
2nd Gear Member

I don't have the answer that you need. I just wanted to add that I also have the Motorcraft synthetic blend 5 20 and have not had any issues with it. After reading a bunch of the oil threads and my head was spinning.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:23 PM
TRMach1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tom V
I don't have the answer that you need. I just wanted to add that I also have the Motorcraft synthetic blend 5 20 and have not had any issues with it. After reading a bunch of the oil threads and my head was spinning.
Oh ok, the previous owner always used that mobile 1 so i did as well but at around 4,000 miles ago i decided to try 5-20 since it started to get colder here in florida. I also don't know if the weather has anything to do with this? Maybe im not warming up my car enough? It did just start getting into the 30s-40s here in Florida but i would think that after driving 62 miles from school that it would be warm enough that if i were to turn it off for 10 mins it would be ok. You live in ny, does your car stay blowing condensation constantly?
Old 02-04-2013, 07:44 PM
Tom V
2nd Gear Member

lol Ya I would love 30s and 40's. last week i dont think we got out of the single didgets. I'm freezing my a** off up here. Anyhow, I had no idea what the previous owner had been using. I was really hesitant to use the 5 20. I have never used 5 20 in any of my other vehicles. I ended up using it being afraid to screw up my warranty by not using it. I have kept an eye on it and have not had any issues. Sorry I couldn't be of any more help.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:52 PM
TRMach1
2nd Gear Member

lol Ya I would love 30s and 40's. last week i dont think we got out of the single didgets. I'm freezing my a** off up here. Anyhow, I had no idea what the previous owner had been using. I was really hesitant to use the 5 20. I have never used 5 20 in any of my other vehicles. I ended up using it being afraid to screw up my warranty by not using it. I have kept an eye on it and have not had any issues. Sorry I couldn't be of any more help.
Ah ok, whoa! yeah we have it good down here then, that must suck lol. Its alright thanks
Old 02-04-2013, 07:55 PM
Tom V
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TRMach1
You live in ny, does your car stay blowing condensation constantly?
Yes, but I know it isn't smoke. Smoke looks different. The easiest way to describe it. Smoke doesn't dissipate the same way. You just kind of know it when you see it.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:11 PM
TRMach1
2nd Gear Member

Yes, but I know it isn't smoke. Smoke looks different. The easiest way to describe it. Smoke doesn't dissipate the same way. You just kind of know it when you see it.
Hm true, i need to look at the smoke tomorrow very carefully to see if it is condensation or not.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:59 PM
Tom V
2nd Gear Member

I still don't believe I have been of much help because you seem to be going through too much oil. Hopefully one of the smarter members will pick this up and help you get this resolved.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:12 PM
TRMach1
2nd Gear Member

I still don't believe I have been of much help because you seem to be going through too much oil. Hopefully one of the smarter members will pick this up and help you get this resolved.
Its ok, no worries I appreciate you trying to help . I'm going to go back to mobile 1 10-30 tomorrow and hopefully that fixes something and its just condensation, this is the first winter that I have gone with this car so Idk how it acts up during this time, bought it last year in April with 33,250 miles and I have been driving it not like its previous owner im close to putting 20k miles in 10 months. I just hope its not a head gasket or anything major. But thanks again for the input.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:59 PM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

After reading posts by Ford engineers I verified the following with Scott Hoag (Ford Bullitt and Mach 1 Program Manager - now owner of MRT): 5w-20 was specified for our Mach 1s and other Fords purely for CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) numbers. The 20 weight oil lets Ford eek out a couple of extra 10ths MPG in government testing. 5w-30 is the preferred weight.

If I recall correctly, the change came in 2003. Before that date, 5w-30 was spec'd for DOHC 32V 4.6 engines. Ignoring CAFE, you should use 5w-30 in your Mach 1 engine. 5w-20 certainly won't hurt it in winter temps and you probably won't be going on long 80MPH trips in February.

Quick Reply: White smoke