Members Mustangs This section is for picture threads relating to members Mustangs. Please read the rules before posting!

Messin' around with HDR...

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 10:03 PM
iamgone
1st Gear Member

Nice car. Great pics. I love the way the colors contrast in HDR.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:17 PM
mystangisblack
2nd Gear Member

You're car is freaking gorgeous.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:26 AM
B.Richards
1st Gear Member

I love HDR and what a great car to try it out on!, Beautiful!,
Old 06-13-2012, 12:50 AM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

Nice! I came in here expecting to see some ****ty way over done HDR from some noob.

Well done, sir.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:53 AM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

Also, that is most definitely Madison County HS
Old 06-13-2012, 07:41 AM
floridafordguy
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by t_kurgan
3. Switch the camera to manual mode, starting with the dark shutter speed (probably the fastest),.
I'm a little confused. Wouldn't the dark areas yield the SLOWEST shutter speed?
Old 06-13-2012, 08:49 AM
t_kurgan

Originally Posted by floridafordguy
I'm a little confused. Wouldn't the dark areas yield the SLOWEST shutter speed?
No, when the shutter is left open, it tends to overexpose, much like leaving your eyes open looking at bright lights. Fast shutter speeds will cause a dark, underexposed image. Give it a shot, HDR this way, makes for a more natural, human eye-like photo, as opposed to the hyper-real stuff we see on the web.

The spot meter expects that which you point will be of 18% reflectance, like mid-tone grey, or a medium blue sky (excellent to meter off, by the way). I didn't see many complete black areas in any of the photos, so the range would be very nice with 5-9 shots, 1 stop apart.

I've got a recent sample from our backyard before the landscaping, where I have a very bright area (white garage) and a very dark area (corner fence). If I expose the garage, I have complete black for the corner, and the reverse occurs as well, I expose for the dark corner, and I'm left with a blown garage. I can post if you like, but there is no mustang in the photo (yet).
Old 06-13-2012, 04:57 PM
floridafordguy
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by t_kurgan
No, when the shutter is left open, it tends to overexpose, much like leaving your eyes open looking at bright lights. Fast shutter speeds will cause a dark, underexposed image. Give it a shot, HDR this way, makes for a more natural, human eye-like photo, as opposed to the hyper-real stuff we see on the web.

The spot meter expects that which you point will be of 18% reflectance, like mid-tone grey, or a medium blue sky (excellent to meter off, by the way). I didn't see many complete black areas in any of the photos, so the range would be very nice with 5-9 shots, 1 stop apart.

I've got a recent sample from our backyard before the landscaping, where I have a very bright area (white garage) and a very dark area (corner fence). If I expose the garage, I have complete black for the corner, and the reverse occurs as well, I expose for the dark corner, and I'm left with a blown garage. I can post if you like, but there is no mustang in the photo (yet).
Now I'm more confused. I'm not saying you're wrong, but what you describe is counter-intuitive. My understanding of HDR is that it solves the following problem: if you photograph a scene with both highlights and lowlights, you can't expose properly for both. Either you'll blow out the highlights or lose detail in the shadows. HDR lets you expose properly for highlights (i.e. short exposure) and shadow (i.e. long exposure) and combine the results in post processing. If you point your spot meter at a shadow area, it should indicate a longer exposure. How are you preserving shadow detail with short exposure of lowlights?

Last edited by floridafordguy; 06-13-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:14 AM
t_kurgan

Originally Posted by floridafordguy
Now I'm more confused. I'm not saying you're wrong, but what you describe is counter-intuitive. My understanding of HDR is that it solves the following problem: if you photograph a scene with both highlights and lowlights, you can't expose properly for both. Either you'll blow out the highlights or lose detail in the shadows. HDR lets you expose properly for highlights (i.e. short exposure) and shadow (i.e. long exposure) and combine the results in post processing. If you point your spot meter at a shadow area, it should indicate a longer exposure. How are you preserving shadow detail with short exposure of lowlights?
HDR was designed to solve the sensor limitation problem. Sorry for the confusion, it can be confusing, and this is why so many images are full of noise, they have data loss in the shadow areas. Exposing for the shadow detail retains that data in one image, taking subsequent exposures, working your way towards the exposure that retains highlight detail will produce several images, the higher the contrast, the more images you may require. Simply taking 3 bracketed shots and hoping you have the histogram covered adequately, doesn't usually work. You are correct, you cannot expose for both in one image, you must take several, and they re blended via software. HDR is impossible with a single image. HDR is not an exposure technique, but a blending technique.

I'm not able to upload into this area, but I have a series of 9 shots to blend, these are the following:

Shot Preserved Shadow detail: 24mm f/8 for 1/20s expoure
Shot Preserved Highlight detail: 24mm f/8 for 1/1250s exposure
Shot in the middle: 24mm f/8 for 1/200s exposure

The blended imaged used 9 shots, all a stop apart in between the shadow shot, and the highlight shot, and produced an image with nothing blown and full detail, zero noise. I'll see if I can get these up on my picasa and you can view the series up to the final.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:24 AM
t_kurgan

Here is a link so you can see the multi-image data.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1097502...CKvh_oyS2-f_Xg

Quick Reply: Messin' around with HDR...