Members Rides and Car Show Section This section is for requests for photos of certain models or modifications, as well as car shows and events. Please read the rules before posting!

My New to Me '83 GT

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 07:32 PM
musicman8287

Default My New to Me '83 GT

Just bought my first mustang, an oldie no doubt. Found 'er on Craigslist. Pretty much good to go, just needs some minor work here and there, like the driver side window won't go up now. LOL.

Some previous owner did some upgrades like an 8.8 rear and dual exhaust. I believe the solid lifter cam is aftermarket as well, unless they offered it stock that year?

Someone also got lazy and wedged the clutch cable bracket into the engine bay somewhere, so Saturday I got stranded and had to get a tow, since cable got loose and melted against header, bursting and releasing the many strands of tension wire, rendering clutch pedal useless. That sucked, but got it replaced last night, with the help of a friend.

Also, someone previously broke off oil dipstick tube at the block, pretty much flush with block, so did a bunch of research here and online, and got it out (FINALLY) with a bolt threaded into remaining piece, a flat head screw driver up against bottom of threaded bolt, and some motivation from a 4 lb double faced 'Murican made Hickory handle hammer. The roofing hammer just wasn't gonna do the job. In the broken tube's place was some after market (Spectre?) dipstick tube that I believe is designed for Ford motors that have it installed thru timing cover, so the thing was way too thick for block hole. What's annoying is it was wedged in there as far as possible (not far at all), so the thing was leaking oil at the base of tube. Over the years, oil has caked on that side of block and part of the T5. Oh well.... at least it's done right now.

She's def a strong runner and sounds great too.

Next up... new plugs, wires, dipstick tube and fluid replacement. Oh yeah, fix the window too.

Looking forward to driving and modifying this car, as well as spending time here in these great and informative forums.

Cheers!

Here's pics from my album...

Last edited by musicman8287; 09-02-2013 at 07:35 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:14 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

Congrats on the purchase. I sold my 83 gt a few years back, and now wish I hadn't. Not to big on that chrome air filter you have there. That thing is sucking in all the heat off the motor. The original air cleaner pulled in air from the fenders on both sides.

Last edited by DRAGUL; 09-02-2013 at 08:19 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:00 AM
musicman8287

Originally Posted by DRAGUL
Congrats on the purchase. I sold my 83 gt a few years back, and now wish I hadn't. Not to big on that chrome air filter you have there. That thing is sucking in all the heat off the motor. The original air cleaner pulled in air from the fenders on both sides.
New air cleaner is definitely on the 'to buy' list.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:03 AM
malacoreen

Congrats! Do share some pics of it though..
Old 09-14-2013, 12:07 AM
JannaPecor

welcome to this board, just enjoy the stay here
Old 09-14-2013, 01:48 AM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

welcome to the forums! Very nice ride BTW.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:23 AM
musicman8287

Thanks! Loving the forums, for sure. Learned a lot and continue to do so.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:07 AM
MozellaRaso

wow, i am proud of you that you have made such a great purchase here. thanks for it now....