Motor Swap Section Tech and Follow-My-Build Threads for members looking to put a different engine in their Mustang

5.0 in a 99 mustang

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 09:38 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

The main issue (other than legality and not being able to have it insured legally for street use) is that it's sooo much easier to build the V6 to make the same power levels for less money than swapping a V8 in. It's been shown time and time again. People just ignore that fact. V6 cars take very well to boost, and having a short and long runner per cylinder gives them a better power band than the old school 302. Forged the bottom end, toss in a cam and you're good to hp levels that will split a stock 302 block... and all from a little V6.

A V6 will always sound like a V6 to someone who has a fine ear. However, my supercharged 4.2L V6 never got a bad comment on sound and was making more than enough power. If you want to build a motor for sound instead of performance, be my guest.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:57 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

As Roush stated you're missing the larger picture here.

I want you to try to imagine the fact that the only thing 94/95 5.0s and 96-04 Mustangs have in common (aside from the appearance in 99+) is the interior, exterior, and basic components.

The wiring harness is different, cooling system is different, drivetrain is different. gauges are different, a lot of things are different.

While the 5.0 is very easy to mod you're not just moding a 5.0, you're moding your car to take a 5.0, which is illegal to begin with, and then after this money is spent you're spending extra money to mod the 5.0. It's a financial disaster.

If you want a 5.0, sell your car and buy a 5.0 and build that car. But if you want more power you can easily mod the V6. No it won't make globs of power but it can be made rather quick, especially when boosted.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:00 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

If you want a 5.0 so bad, it would be much smarter to spend around $10,000 to put in the new Coyotte 5.0 which makes 425 bhp right out of the box and gets amazing MPG. The old Windsor 5.0s can't make that power without running boost, and then have to have forged internals and high power gaskets to take that power and then you still run the risk of the block splitting, not to mention will only get low 20s high way MPG wise.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:52 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Or (just for fun)...

4.2L V6 ($500-700)
M112 set up ($2500 all set up and running)
Time to swap everything: 1 weekend
400 rwhp, street legal and still ok mpg.

Sell original 3.8L for a few hundred to offset build cost.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:52 AM
99mustang5.0

Well this is one of the reasons I don't use forums . I never asked if it was leg all or a good idea . And I don't have 10g to dish out for another engine that to me sounds like every other modular engine which I hate . Engine and trans r already bolted in ready to go . My final decicion is to set it up as carb drive it for the summer and get all the parts to run efi then swap it over . Pretty sure I won't get much crap once its efi . And if the old Windsor engines were so bad why did Salween use them and go threw so much trouble to make it legall in a 99 mustang ?(the 99 s351)
Old 11-24-2012, 11:37 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Actually, the info you got was solid. Don't blame the forum if you don't like the truth. The swap you are trying to finish is a waste. You'll be hard pressed to find someone supporting illegal swaps in the V6 section.
Also, you were given a fair heads up that your insurance will no longer be valid as well since you've swapped to an older motor and deleted pollution control. And speaking from someone who has seen it 1st hand, if they find out you'll get nail with insurance fraud for not telling them about the illegal swap. And if you hit someone, nothing will be covered and they'll hang you out to dry legally for it.

Good luck.

Quick question: Since you are going carb, how are you planning on dealing with all the electronically controlled systems in the car that's controlled by the V6 ECU? Or are you going to rewire the whole car and swap dashes to the 94/95 GT?

Last edited by LilRoush; 11-24-2012 at 11:39 AM.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:25 PM
99mustang5.0

Was going to do the wire swap and use the 94/95 gauge cluster . Not trying to b a dick sorry if it came off that way. But I read about people doing a s351 clone and everyone is all about it. Not that big of a difference then wat I'm trying to accomplish just a smaller engine . Might do wat other people have done and do the 4.6 engine harness and computer and swap out the distributer for the sensor and run the individual coils. I've heard of this being done anyone no exactly wat is required to that swap? It would b legal in a since after that all I would say I'd the engine is from a 99 explorer its the same anyways .
Old 11-24-2012, 04:25 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

An S351 clone is not the same as an actual S351. In other words people do the body but not the engine cause it truely is a HUGE UNDERTAKING.

The 302 and 351 have similar installation requirements, but there are some key differences that does need some modification and you need to see the 302 to 351 conversion swap to see those differences in the 5.0 section.

I guess it would be plausible to run a 5.0 with the 4.6L engine and harness, but there are so many 5.0 specific sensors that just aren't compatable with the 96+ harness. Again it is truely a difficult task.

There is a reason why there isn't much information about 96+ Mustangs to 302 or 351 and that's because as stated it's completely illegal to drive on the road, and secondly the cost effectiveness of the swap is rediculously expensive versus the gains.

Basically it's like putting a GM LS motor in our cars. Sure it can be done, but the cost to trade off isn't the best.

As stated you truely are much better off doing ANYTHING else other than this swap.

If you're wanting to do the swap solely for sound then, and I mean no disrespect, that's completely and utterly stupid. The 5.0 and the 4.6L are both 2V motors and sound very similar to one another. I know I've owened every single Ford motor put in the mustang since 94. The only difference in tone comes from the exhaust configuration and the valves and cam settings with the motor. The 96-04 4V, to me, has the meanist sound. I had a clip of my 95 5.0 and my 99 cobra on the dyno, and the Cobra clearly sounds much more meaner even though both had similar power numbers.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:51 PM
99mustang5.0

No its not just the sound I love old cars and old engines. Plus lot cheaper to get another engine if I pop the 302 because this car is goin to b driven hard. And I live where there is no emissions and I shouldn't catch any crap if its fuel injected. I never got any crap wen I had a carbed small block in my s10 and it was obnoxiously loud .
Old 11-24-2012, 10:04 PM
99mustang5.0

Well from wat I hear u put a aftermarket sensor in place of the distributer and use a explorer crank sensor and the rest plugs in just have to make brackets for the coil plugs so of basically thinks it running a 4.6 since the firing order is the same .I no it will require tuning though

Quick Reply: 5.0 in a 99 mustang