Motor Swap Section Tech and Follow-My-Build Threads for members looking to put a different engine in their Mustang

5.0 coyote swap into 2006 GT , Saleen , police clone?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 06:08 PM
akiba17
Not 100% a dick

Did the power steering and A/C bolt on?
Old 10-09-2013, 08:02 PM
Phansm72
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by akiba17
Did the power steering and A/C bolt on?
I used the AC compressor from the coyote , I just need to get 2 ac fittings made, and I used the flaming river manual rack , its actually pretty good!
Old 10-09-2013, 09:40 PM
Hamidar05
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Phansm72
Everything is drop in , Coyote engine mount brackets sit right on the factory 06 motor mounts , tranny bolts to the motor and uses its factory mounts , I used the 8 bolt clutch/flywheel/pressure plate setup from the 03-04 4.6, the tr3650 tranny from an 05 up and the clutch works like it should. Everything bolts up even the factory water jug hose goes right to the motor , same 06 radiator , coyote hoses go right to it , coyote heater hoses clip right on factory 06 heater core lines, I hooked up the 2 CAN wires from the coyote harness to the car and temp , tach etc work like they should . THe oil pressure wire on the cars C110 connector (gray wire) has to be moved into the FRPP harness connector so the car can get signal since the OP wire doesn't run through the PCM. Hooked that up and now all gauges work.
So basically the only electrical issue is the connectors from the 06 and the Coyote don't match exactly and you have to run a couple wires separate to get all the gauges working? Is that a correct summary?

It torques me off all the so called experts say the gauge cluster won't work when all you have to do is trace out the harness and find the right wires. I converted a 72 Impala harness to work on 64 El Camino, not as complex but if you have the right diagrams it can be done for just about anything!

The the Flaming river manual is not too bad? On your opinion of force to turn the wheel how much different is it than the power steering? I had a 70 Mach 1 with box manual steering and I don't remember it being too bad, a new rack and pinion manual must be quite a bit better?

Lastly the fittings on the compressor (assume low and high side) are different and you are having some made, would love to see the pics.. I would think something in the Ford inventory would work?

You made this all seem easy and well... way faster than I ever speculated, very nice and very impressive! You are a true Hot Rodder
Old 10-09-2013, 10:09 PM
2007StangV6
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hamidar05
So basically the only electrical issue is the connectors from the 06 and the Coyote don't match exactly and you have to run a couple wires separate to get all the gauges working? Is that a correct summary?

It torques me off all the so called experts say the gauge cluster won't work when all you have to do is trace out the harness and find the right wires. I converted a 72 Impala harness to work on 64 El Camino, not as complex but if you have the right diagrams it can be done for just about anything!
THIS! One of the main things that had me worried about this swap was not having the gauges work. People need to think a little bit before saying, "nope, won't work."

Glad to hear everything is going good OP. After the car is running perfect, are you planning on writing out everything you did for others that are considering the swap?
Old 10-09-2013, 11:35 PM
Phansm72
2nd Gear Member

It Is a very simple swap , the main thing that makes it simple is the CAN networks in our cars are the same as the 2010-14 Stangs and speak the same language. Also using the ford racing control pack harness kit makes it super easy! The only wires you need to run from the FRPP control pack kit are the power and grounds , install the new gas pedal and run the wire to it, the start wire , ignition wire ( I tapped into these on the column), neutral safety switch and then the in and out signal from the OSS (speedo) signal (need to add 2 pins into the PCM connector for this) , and then wire in the 2 CAN network wires + and - (I used the 2 CAN wires on the AIM connector on the FRPP harness and spliced them into the cars OBDII port) and everything works , the Coyote pcm talks to your car , temp , tach , speedo CEL etc all run over the CAN network . The Oil Pressure wire must be added to the FRPP engine power connector for it to work since it does not run through your PCM.

If you have 05-09 GT with 5 speed , a Coyote engine with its factory harness , a FRPP control pack kit , a fuel pressure regulator , some AN fittings and fuel line , a 03/04 8 bolt clutch/flywheel kit , manual steering rack and some headers. I could have it in and running over a weekend with gauges working etc like it should.

I havent driven it enough to get a REAL feel on the manual steering rack , but a quick drive up the road and back felt really good , no major effort in steering.

The fittings on the new ac compressor are a different size and setup differently. The 2 AC lines disconnect in a short section really close to the compressor on our cars , I have to look at the Coyote line set to see how they are setup , I may be able to join the coyote ends on to my lines not sure yet , its on the to do list.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:08 AM
TheDutchTexan
4th Gear Member

What? No power steering? I have had my engine shut off on me when I had a TB issue right in a turn. Not fun... I had to beast the wheel to get the some bitch to turn. The wheel nearly slipped from my hands when the engine died (and thus the power steering).
Old 10-10-2013, 02:43 PM
akiba17
Not 100% a dick

Manual racks have different ratios to help with the steering.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:35 PM
Phansm72
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Justice
What? No power steering? I have had my engine shut off on me when I had a TB issue right in a turn. Not fun... I had to beast the wheel to get the some bitch to turn. The wheel nearly slipped from my hands when the engine died (and thus the power steering).
Manual racks are totally different to power racks.......
Old 10-10-2013, 09:36 PM
Hamidar05
2nd Gear Member

Ok, so now all I have to do is beat the crap out of my 4.6L so I can put in a Coyote! I think I need another 40-60K miles..

Phansm72 is my hero!

It's just a matter of time before FRPP either makes the conversion kit simpler or someone else does, they need to consult you since you are doing the engineering and you should get paid! Late Model Resto - American Muscle, talk to this man!
Old 10-10-2013, 11:45 PM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

Wow, I was under the impression that you had to get a different bellhousing/transmission... Though I would prefer to get power steering.... Definately going to keep eyes on this.... But for roughly the same cost of a new power adder you can get the same HP from a N/A motor - then add a power adder after

Quick Reply: 5.0 coyote swap into 2006 GT , Saleen , police clone?