Motor Swap Section Tech and Follow-My-Build Threads for members looking to put a different engine in their Mustang

V6 Engine Swap[Question]

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 11:51 AM
2010v6BADPONY

Default V6 Engine Swap[Question]

Well like the title says I am wanting to swap the engine in my car to produce more HP. I have been looking on fordracingparts.com and found a 427 cubic inch x-head crate engine for right under $9k. What other modifications would be necessary to, if any, go through with swapping out the engines? Tranny, rear gear, exhaust, etc.

Link for the engine: http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=13510
Old 12-10-2013, 12:42 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

I dont know if that will fit, most likely as we have large engine bays but you would have to redue all the engine control wiring, brakes, suspension, trans, rear end, gauges, custom motor mounts (I'm guessing), exhaust, custom tune. I am not saying don't do it, but I am saying it is a very large, money consuming, time consuming, project that will cost alot more that 9k. If you do not plan on doing the work yourself add another 5k on top of what your spending for everything else. Might be worth thinking of getting a new car?

Matthew
Old 12-11-2013, 05:05 AM
jsimmonstx
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Matt's 95 Stang
I dont know if that will fit, most likely as we have large engine bays but you would have to redue all the engine control wiring, brakes, suspension, trans, rear end, gauges, custom motor mounts (I'm guessing), exhaust, custom tune. I am not saying don't do it, but I am saying it is a very large, money consuming, time consuming, project that will cost alot more that 9k. If you do not plan on doing the work yourself add another 5k on top of what your spending for everything else. Might be worth thinking of getting a new car?

Matthew
It's a stroked 351W. It will most assuredly fit, and yes, it will definitely be expensive - expect something north of $16k if you don't have to swap the transmission.

Last edited by jsimmonstx; 12-11-2013 at 05:15 AM.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:14 AM
jsimmonstx
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2010v6BADPONY
Well like the title says I am wanting to swap the engine in my car to produce more HP. I have been looking on fordracingparts.com and found a 427 cubic inch x-head crate engine for right under $9k. What other modifications would be necessary to, if any, go through with swapping out the engines? Tranny, rear gear, exhaust, etc.

Link for the engine: http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=13510
I actually did a cost analysis. I'm currently saving money for a dual-quad 408 stroker for my 2012. Here's my detailed cost breakdown.

Pushrod swap into S197

It's going to cost *me* about $25k because I'm also swapping in a Tremec 6-speed.

BTW, you're going to need a different K-member, but that will be easy. AJE makes a tubular unit (and motor mounts) just for this kind of swap. Beyond that, you'll need to decide if you want to keep your PATS key/instrument cluster (they're tied together), A/C, anti-lock brakes, etc. My cost breakdown assumes no to all of that. You also have to figure out how to replace the drive-by-wire accel pedal, and you may have power steering issues if your car has electric power steering.

Keep in mind that this has already been done (in a few 2005-2009 cars), so the technical issues are definitely not insurmountable, and luckily, the only thing you'll probably have to have fabricated is the exhaust, and you should have been expecting that anyway. I'm personally going with shorty headers because I think it'll be less expensive to implement.

Last edited by jsimmonstx; 12-11-2013 at 05:18 AM.