Motor Swap Section Tech and Follow-My-Build Threads for members looking to put a different engine in their Mustang

V6 to V8 swap (1998 mustang)

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 04:41 AM
Mgerglies

Default V6 to V8 swap (1998 mustang)

I have a 1998 mustang V6 I've had since I was a teen, and I've been thinking of doing a motor swap.
I got ahold of a 2009 Ford Crown Victoria P71 complete and running, now the question is if anybody has done a P71 swap for an Sn95 V6, and if so what would I be looking for to be able to complete the swap?
Old 06-25-2017, 04:48 AM
Mgerglies

Old 06-25-2017, 11:02 AM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

The swap itself would be identical as if the engine had come out of another Mustang. What you are about to do though is a **** ton of work and you are going to need a lot more than just an engine and transmission. The few people I've spoken with who have actually done this swap recommend that you have a complete donor car to scavenge the things you need.

Things such as complete engine wiring harness, fuel system stuff, pcm/cluster/steering column, 8.8" rearend, the list goes on and on. Do your homework, this is a huge project. Very few nuts and/or bolts will go left untouched. It can and has been done, but for what's involved most would say you are much better off to sell your car and go buy a GT. As an alternative to that, since you have (hopefully) a good running engine, I would be on the hunt for a '96 - '04 GT in decent shape but with a blown engine. Should be pretty cheap that way, and swapping that P71 in will be cake.