Mustang II Section The more economy minded, compact Mustangs which were offered from 1974-1978

removing engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 05:15 PM
Micah1234

Default removing engine

has anbody ever took a engine out of a 76 mustang II cobra II? if you have i'll take any easy steps, suggestions, opinions about it. I think im gonna go with tuff dawg engine.
thanks alot
Micah
Old 10-09-2007, 06:26 PM
geddylee
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: removing engine

ORIGINAL: Micah1234

has anbody ever took a engine out of a 76 mustang II cobra II? if you have i'll take any easy steps, suggestions, opinions about it. I think im gonna go with tuff dawg engine.
thanks alot
Micah
first off, what size? i had a 2.8L V6 in mine, and it's not that it's hard to take the engine out, it's putting one in that's the real problem. Depending on what you're wanting to do, there are step by step instructions on a v6 to v8 swap on www.mustangii.net. They are in the Tech section and should be in the lower left of the page if i remember correctly. I don't know anything about Tuff Dawg Engines but if you are trying to swap from a 302 to a bigger engine then a 351 is about as big as you can fit without some major modifications. Give me some info on what the tuff dawg engine is and exactly what you have currently.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:12 PM
Micah1234

I have a 302 v8, i plan on putting in the same a 302 v8, the reason is my cobra II was completely under water and i want to keep as many things on it the same.
heres a link to Tuff Dawg Engines- http://www.bigdawgengines.com/
Micah
Old 10-10-2007, 05:56 PM
geddylee
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Micah1234

I have a 302 v8, i plan on putting in the same a 302 v8, the reason is my cobra II was completely under water and i want to keep as many things on it the same.
heres a link to Tuff Dawg Engines- http://www.bigdawgengines.com/
Micah
it should work then with not many problems if any, if you buy a turnkey engine you won't be able to use their headers, unless they are willing to get ii specific headers for your application.you also might have aproblem with carb/hood clearance, but you can cut a holein the hood to clear if it's necessary.your best bet would be to get a chilton's manual for your car. they are relatively cheap, and trust me you will get your moneys worth many times over. The chilton's manual will tell you how to remove and installthe engines step by step.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:18 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

edlebrock performer rpm's are the biggest you can go as far as keeping your intake/carb under the hood - and even then you have to use a low profile aircleaner. for something better served towards street use may i suggest the wieand 8124 (i think thats the part #), its better than the performer but not as high end as the performer RPM.... basically perfect for street driving.

I have heard a few people say the "tuffdawg" engines are good - also check out TandL engines, one of their employees is a regular in the classics section.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:18 AM
gwb16
2nd Gear Member

I have the TuffDawg 302 in mine - sweet, sweet motor. Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, with the an Edelbrock 600cfm carb, edelbrock low profile air cleaner housing, just misses the hood by about 3/8"....very close but got it done.....thinking about adding a scoop anyway - lol!

I put the Engine and C-4 Tranny in together, all bolted together at the same time, had a sheet of rubber draped over the tranny housing at the firewall to keep from scratching up my new paint, the oil pan just got by the hood latch my maybe an 1/8"...it was REAL close. Radiator was removed also and I didn't have any of the accessories on the front of the motor installed, other than the water pump and fuel pump. It was a sweet fit up.....OH - DO NOT do what I did! I forgot to put the starter on BEFORE I put the engine/tranny back in and well, long story short-ended up removing the motor mount from the frame and block to put my new starter in - talk about feeling like a putz! DUHHHHHH!