Mustang II Section The more economy minded, compact Mustangs which were offered from 1974-1978

Black & Gold Cobra II Paint Scheme

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 04:48 PM
redandchrome00

Default Black & Gold Cobra II Paint Scheme

Hi Guys, new user here! Im from the UK, and drivea Ford Capri; Suprisingly similar to the Cobra II.Mines a 4 cylinder 2 Litre NAPinto motor(same as your 2.3), with a T9/N Transmission.

Huge fan of American cars in general, but old Fords especially. As Im sure many of you are aware, the Capri was designed for the European market as a response to the sucess of the original Mustang when it came out in the States. The MkIII was the last version made, and even now, theres almost none on British roads.

Main reason Im here, (as the topic suggests)is to try and find out some info on the Cobra II's black & gold colour scheme. I'm having the Capri re-sprayed over the next week or so, and Im planning on doing this utterly awesome scheme.
The black is going on tomorrow, and the stripes in the coming couple of weeks.

If anyone has a Black/Gold Cobra II, can I ask them a few questions about the main body stripes?
-How wide are the stripes?
-How wide are the pinstripes?
-Whats the spacing between each?

Also does anyone know the 'official' colour names? -Im guessing the black is just a 'jet-black', and the gold looks to be an 'antique-gold'.

My Capri as-it-stands should be pictured below, if its worked

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Regards,
-Tom.

[IMG]local://upfiles/86549/458F9FE6080E4BCDADE0F0F9E567722D.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/86549/A94C3AA6D93A4CA6B77125B9D44FC475.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-14-2007, 08:55 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Black & Gold Cobra II Paint Scheme

i dunno, but thats friggen sweet
Old 12-15-2007, 04:00 AM
redandchrome00

Cheers dude. As I say, I like American machinery, which is why i've got the old 70's Wolfy Slots & RWL tyres. (Rocking horse muck in the UK!)
Old 12-15-2007, 04:26 PM
geddylee
2nd Gear Member

i can measure mine on monday for you if you'd like. I would today but it's covered in snow, nice capri, i've always been very partial to capris. there was a teacher who drove a burnt orange capri at my school, it sounded amazing, only car i've ever thought about trading for
Old 12-15-2007, 04:52 PM
redandchrome00

Thanks man, that sounds awesome. I'm hoping the Capri and the Mustang II are about the same overall width, so the stripes should look proportioned right. I could have a go at guessing, but I think I'd be more happy if I knew they were 'proper' proportioned.

I've been at the workshop all day today flatting and buffing the topcoat. It looks awesome. Hoping to put the stripes on in the new year when this stuffs gone off a bit more.
Old 12-15-2007, 05:17 PM
geddylee
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: redandchrome00

Thanks man, that sounds awesome. I'm hoping the Capri and the Mustang II are about the same overall width, so the stripes should look proportioned right. I could have a go at guessing, but I think I'd be more happy if I knew they were 'proper' proportioned.

I've been at the workshop all day today flatting and buffing the topcoat. It looks awesome. Hoping to put the stripes on in the new year when this stuffs gone off a bit more.
i would think they were pretty close, but you never really know. no problem, it's supposed to warm up again after sunday so the snow should melt and i'll post the measurements as quickly as i can
Old 12-20-2007, 03:10 PM
redandchrome00

Little update for anyone interested....

Black is on & buffed. Hoping to do the stripes in the new year Also got some Chrome window surrounds on order like the MkI and MkII had. Bit more classy than satin black I think

[IMG]local://upfiles/86549/C227EC05F579415BB7D52A80D85C87CE.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/86549/5F85DC3176B34F47AA47686373040B29.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-21-2007, 10:58 PM
musnicki
3rd Gear Member

What happend to the spoiler?
Old 12-22-2007, 12:56 PM
redandchrome00

The guy that painted it didnt spot the spoiler & mirrors on the back seat when he masked it up, so they didnt get done.

Were going to do them in the new year when we do the stripes. Everyones closing down for the holidays. Think Im the only person working!
Old 12-23-2007, 07:25 AM
musnicki
3rd Gear Member

I'm having that problem here. I'm like the only single guy in my town it seems because I'm the only one that wants to work on my car all weekend through christmas and beyond, but everyone is closed for the holidays.

I had a 76' mustang II about 15 years ago. A friend and I both had a 76', mine was blue with white strips with the Cobra II on the side and his was a black and gold (T-tops too). I loved my car but I think deep down inside his was a little bit nicer because of how the black and gold looked. Good luck on those stripes!

Quick Reply: Black & Gold Cobra II Paint Scheme