Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Pontiac GTO

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 09:30 PM
Jiraiya
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Pontiac GTO

My brother really likes his new GTO, he's had it for a couple of months. I haven't driven it yet, myself, but he says the car has scary power. He's had a lot of fun with it.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:34 PM
95Tbird
1st Gear Member

I checked into the insurance thing. For me at State FArm the GTO was cheaper every six months by $20. So that is really no biggie.
Old 04-15-2006, 11:19 AM
tashunka_skah

I drove a new GTO before deciding on the GT Mustang. It was enjoyable and had a comfortable ride but I could get past the styling. It might be a "poor man's vette" in the power category but I have to agree with one of the auto mags that said it looked like a big "cough lozenge"!

I'm also a little jaded against GM because of my 2000 Chevy Tahoe. I'm disgusted by all the rattles and imperfections with such an expensive SUV. People are surprised when I tell them I thought my 93 full size Bronco was a better made truck!

just my $.02
Old 04-15-2006, 06:58 PM
95Tbird
1st Gear Member

I have sold both Chevy and Ford trucks. Ford has a better truck for doing truck stuff. My dad bought a 98 Silverado new. It has had more little problems than my MARK VIII, and that is saying something....
Old 04-20-2006, 11:41 AM
blacllkllsi
3rd Gear Member

I test drove a 06 GTO because I was considering trading my Mustang in for one. The car felt very solid but did seem like it lacked power in the lower rpms. The car felt heavy and sluggish. I also did'nt like the placing of the center console either. It got in the way of the shift. My mustang has alot better feel and a nicer shift and handles alot better so after driving the GTO I decided to keep the stang. Thats my opinion. Granted it will rape my mustang on the street and track. I was'nt impressed
Old 04-23-2006, 11:32 PM
R1PPED
2nd Gear Member

The throw on the GTO shifter is longer than Ron Jeremy's *******....

a ford taurus on steroids if you asked me....
Old 04-27-2006, 08:42 AM
eolsonite
1st Gear Member

For pure out of the box performance, the GTO is very impressive. The Mustang GT was made as a work in progress. Between all the supercharging options, all the brake and suspension options, all the tasteful and not so tasteful body and aero options, the Mustang can be simply brought to another other level. If 3 year factory warrenty, and ugly is what you like, I'd go with the superior out of the box machine they are now calling the GTO. Potential and Design and creativity still reside with the Mustang GT. The Mustang junior is a good deal as well, if your buying your 16 year old daughter a first car. She'll love the V6. Erik
Old 04-29-2006, 07:20 PM
TNT1968
2nd Gear Member

I just read in the new Hot Rodmagazine that 2006 will be the last year of the GTO and if they decide to make the Camaro it would most likely be made in the Austrailian plant where the GTO is being made now but the Camaro wouldn't debut until 2009.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:31 PM
CDW63
2nd Gear Member

I test drove a 6-speed 05 GTO recently, I agree with earlier posts about it being comfortable (decent sized back seat), the power was nice. I didn't like the styling, and the manual shifter, it felt slushy and vague. Just my opinion.

-Craig-
Old 05-10-2006, 02:49 AM
Lasered01
1st Gear Member

Get yourself a nice used GT or Mach 1. I bought my loaded '01 GT with quite a few mods (Flowmaster exhaust, B & M Shifter, tinted glass) for $13,900. It's hard to beat for that kind of money and there's tons of aftermarket stuff if you want to customize. I've customized every vehicle that I've owned, but my GT is so nice I don't even have to get it painted! For an every day driver the newer Mustangs are hard to beat! If you're after shear thrills the Cobra would be a great choice! A lot less money than other cars in it's class but when it comes to performance it's right there with the best of them. It's pretty economical to drive also. I get 18 -19 MPG city and 28 - 29 MPG highway, and that's not driving 60 and 70 MPH! In my opinion a performance care is not a good choice for an every day driver; anything goes wrong you're talking big bucks to get parts and for repairs. Also you need to think about winter driving conditions...

For me my Mustang GT gives me almost everything that I had back in the early 70's when I owned a 1967 Chevelle SS with a 1966 Corvette 396 in it. It was pumped up with an 8,000 RPM red-line, 4-11's in the rear and an automatic trans that broke your teeth out every time you shifted. Put it in gear the tires barked, shift up or down the tires barked...it was a blast to drive. I re-did the interior and got it painted in a high gloss silver and with the black vinyl top it was a beauty! But, at 8 MPG on the highway plus a quart of oil avery 100 miles and a tuneup just about as often it was a maintenance hog. I traded it in for a 1972 Opel GT, which was like driving a go-cart compared to the Chevelle. After getting a custom paint job, putting some headers and a new exhaust on it, it too was a true beauty that could scoot down the road at 135 MPH and stick to the road like a fly on the wall! But, it didn't have the snap your head back 1/4 mile speed that is so darn thrilling. My '01 GT has the best of both worlds plus all the luxuries that I need in a car. I mean hell, I've got electric windows, leather, a crankin' stereo, a sweet sounding exhaust system, a sweet three part paint job and a nice amount of usable horsepower mixed with a nimble, firm ride! Now that's my idea of luxury!

And hey, the "GTO" looks like a pregnant Honda on steroids! Definitely not the GTO of yesteryear!

[IMG]local://upfiles/18508/236451F64C5542F0A191D2CE06267C01.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Pontiac GTO