Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Ford's Corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 03:20 PM
Twister
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Ford's Corvette?

ORIGINAL: ThisBlood147

ORIGINAL: jaiasmit

ORIGINAL: ThisBlood147

Well I can remember back in the late 90's I believe it was........I was hearing alot of talk that Ford was gonna take the Thunderbird (which finished production back in what? 96? 97?) and make it into a V8 powered two seater. A true sports car to compete with the corvette. Of course, we all know that never happened. But it sounded like a damn good idea at the time.
Well, they did turn the Thunderbird into a V8 powered 2-seater, just not one that would compete with the Corvette. They relaunched the Thunderbird as 2-seater convertible (w/ hardtop) in 2002 with the same engine as the Lincoln LS, a 3.9L V8. The 2004 model of the Thunderbird weighed 3800lbs and was only pumping 280HP and 286lb-ft of torque. They sorely missed the mark on any competition for the Vette.
Yes, I know about those retro T-birds. But what I was hearing back in the 90's was that they were gonna do the T-bird as a sports car..........not a roaster. Light weight, V8 power, aerodynamic.........everything needed to be in the same class as the corvette. But.......it never happened. Ford, it seems, has never associated power and performance with sales success.[&:]
they did in the early 60's,. when they won Daytona, Indy, Le Mans and Monte Carlo...
Old 08-13-2006, 01:39 PM
MarkF

I second the T-bird remake. The t-bird has always been the mustang's running mate. The new bird was overpriced, underpowered and overweight. Only desirable for it's retro design. I'd love it if they took the old MN12 platform, lightened it, refined it, and made what the T-bird SHOULD have been - a high power, light weight sports car... comparable to a vette. It would appeal to a new market, so it's not as if it would eat mustang sales.

I'll keep dreaming.
Old 08-13-2006, 11:32 PM
Donnie's GTS
4th Gear Member

What I want is a full production ford cobra with a modern touch, with a 6.0L v8 500+hp for 70-80k, I think that would absolutely put chevy under the boat. I always as well have wanted a thunderbird to live up to the name, they have alwasy been big, heavy, and very underpowered.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:14 PM
hwy1strat
2nd Gear Member

shelby is supposibly making a gr-1 with 600 hp. i dont know if they are gonna work with ford or if it is even gonna come out.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:46 PM
phil_gou

The GR-1 is a Ford concept, it just uses the Shelby name and it or something like it will most likely make production after the GT's production run is over. I expect that we will probably see the GT's replacement sometime in 08-09 and yes it will most likely happen. Ford has spent a lot of money on the GT's replacement already with both the Shelby Cobra and GR-1 concepts, development of the new 6.4L dohc V10 that powers the two concepts, and Ford has also spent too much money on the GT's factory to leave it idle.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:51 PM
V8Cody
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BullittJim
What I want is a full production ford cobra with a modern touch, with a 6.0L v8 500+hp for 70-80k, I think that would absolutely put chevy under the boat. I always as well have wanted a thunderbird to live up to the name, they have alwasy been big, heavy, and very underpowered.
That is not like ford to stick a 6.0L into a Mustang. That is GM's job to stick those heavy motors into heavy cars. The Mustang is suppose to be a regular person's sportscar. Mustangs are so successful because they are AFFORDABLE!! Period! Sure they can make a big motor version, but they will not make the cash you think they will off of them.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:52 AM
Donnie's GTS
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: V8Cody

That is not like ford to stick a 6.0L into a Mustang. That is GM's job to stick those heavy motors into heavy cars. The Mustang is suppose to be a regular person's sportscar. Mustangs are so successful because they are AFFORDABLE!! Period! Sure they can make a big motor version, but they will not make the cash you think they will off of them.
I didnt mention a stang anywhere. I agree that stangs are affordable, but the 46 is limited, thats why im saying to put a dohc 6L or better yet the old 427, in a new age COBRA, not the mustang cobra im talking a real cobra.
Old 08-15-2006, 04:33 AM
phil_gou

ORIGINAL: V8Cody

I didnt mention a stang anywhere. I agree that stangs are affordable, but the 46 is limited, thats why im saying to put a dohc 6L or better yet the old 427, in a new age COBRA, not the mustang cobra im talking a real cobra.
Ford did make one as a concept and it was going to be the GT's replacement and supposedly cost around 80-100k but the cars appearance didn't receive very good reviews so it was axed and they built the GR-1 concept around the same platform and 6.4L V10. Just incase you don't know what it looks like here is a link with a few pics and a lot of info about it. http://www.seriouswheels.com/top-For...ra-Concept.htm
Old 08-15-2006, 08:00 PM
1965mustang

Ford usually makes the same mistake with the mustang. WEIGHT AND SIZE. If ford just put the mustang on a diet and made it smaller the mustang would totally be comparable to the vette. I have a 65 that is about 2800 pounds and not to big. By 1973 the mustang was huge and heavy. The new gt500 is what around 3900 pounds thats nuts.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:30 AM
Donnie's GTS
4th Gear Member

gt500 is an even 4000lbs, or if you prefer 2 tons, its ridiculous, my 01 bullitt is 3250lb, absolute ridiculous weight margin.

Quick Reply: Ford's Corvette?