Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Ford motor Co. attacking all companies with the Mustang name or Pony name association

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 01:11 AM
brimmer555

Default Ford motor Co. attacking all companies with the Mustang name or Pony name association

I was reading an artical in the modified mustang magazine about Ford Motor Co. Has been getting with lawyers and are going after companies that are using the Mustang and or Pony name in their company name! and demanding they drop the name and pay them $5,000.00 for it.....
What the hell do they think they are doing by doing something so stupid?!
It means basicly that all the companies and buisnesses that have made a name for themselves by giving us the products that we want that fords not offering and more will have to change their name because someone in the Ford motor company thinks this is some how a good idea.

and if they don't drop the name than they will be pushing for a $1,000,000.00 fine against any company or buisness that is using either of those names in their buisness....
In the articale they would like all of us to step forword an protect the car and the hobby that we love and have all faught for, for so long.
an mail Ford Motor Co. and tell them how we feel about it.....

Thank you for your time and Interest in what I have to say.........................

Aaron Brimmer
Old 09-04-2006, 10:02 PM
okmic1

Default RE: Ford motor Co. attacking all companies with the Mustang name or Pony name association

Maybe my town can sue Ford for using the Mustang name. We incorporated in 1969, but the town has been known as Mustang, Oklahoma for about 100 years.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:21 AM
siggy14
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Ford motor Co. attacking all companies with the Mustang name or Pony name association

in direct marketing other companies will use a well known company to promote there product or suggest it has the same ability as that better known product.

As to Pony, well i am not sure who coined the phrase, arent all muscle cars from the past considered pony cars? Or did that come from the mustang logo?

Anyway it is fords right to sue another CAR COMPANY for using the mustang name because they are direct compitition. However a town named mustang would not consider ford a compitition unless ford started selling places to live that took residents away from the mustang town.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:32 AM
okmic1

What about when Disney sues companies for using their copyrighted character names for products that have nothing to do with the entertainment industry. Is that different because of the copyright?

I'm pretty certain that "pony" is based on the original Mustang.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:48 AM
siggy14
2nd Gear Member

Walt disney made up the character names, ford did make up the mustang name, that is where it is slightly different. I am not saying it is right, just facts and legal mumbo jumble.

ORIGINAL: okmic1

What about when Disney sues companies for using their copyrighted character names for products that have nothing to do with the entertainment industry. Is that different because of the copyright?

I'm pretty certain that "pony" is based on the original Mustang.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:13 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

What it is, is Ford shooting itself in the foot if it sees this broadwave lawsuit action thru to the end. How many mustang-supporting aftermarket companies and websites are they gonna put into the ground because of all this nonsense? Is it their legal right? .........maybe. Is it smart?.................nope.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:42 PM
brimmer555

The Pony care name was coined after the mustang....... I'm guessing because of the running mustang logo.....
I'm guessing any car that was in direct compitition with the Mustang like the Camero was called a pony car as well for some unknown reason...

For is after anyone using these names. God only knows what because they are hurting the people that have in my opinion made the mustang what it is today with the aftermarket and what not... makes me wonder do you think they will go after companies like mustang monthly and modified mustang magazine? lol

and yes it dose look to me that they are trying to shoot themselves in the foot with this one......I know it pissed me off.... and I don't even have a mustang, Yet.
Old 09-10-2006, 02:00 PM
gbtrout
2nd Gear Member

I just don't understand ford on this one. The aftermarket is something that has carried ford through some bad times. Some greedy white collar is behind this, thinking that ford will make some money on the deal. Everyone needs to write or email ford about this and tell them that they are making a stupid mistake. Like the modified mustangs mag. said it's just like when ford wanted to make the mustang into a fwd econmy car and the outcry was heard so strong that they left the stang alone. I'm really suprised that more people aren't upset with this. We gotta do something guys.

Here is a link to another story about this. http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.d...605100302/1003
Old 09-10-2006, 02:20 PM
gbtrout
2nd Gear Member

This is the thing that gets me:

In the 1990's, Ford sent guidelines to selected restoration parts manufacturers, wholesalers and retailers, including Mustangs Plus, authorizing the use of trademarked names as long the business name was accompanied by a qualifying word or phrase such as "vintage" or "classic."

Bramlett and his partners believed Mustangs Plus met that criteria, and a decade of silence from Ford quarters deemed confirmation.

Bramlett believes that the use of the Mustang name by those unaffiliated with Ford amounts to free advertising.

Old 09-11-2006, 03:56 PM
brimmer555

I agree.... I'm going to send Ford motor company a postage letter that they can't just delete though.... because when it's that real it's harder to ignore.

as far as for making the mustanf an fwd eco. car thats just stupid...... but now an awd moster sports car might be interesting *grin* give the german sports cars a run for their money on all fronts LMAO!

WEll I'm glad that everyone is seeing this an replying to it because I don't want Ford to get away with this kinda crap!
Thanks everyone!
I'm off to my less than blue caler job lol.........

Quick Reply: Ford motor Co. attacking all companies with the Mustang name or Pony name association