Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Chevy Coming Out With Camero Again!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 12:02 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Chevy Coming Out With Camero Again!

Never said anything about who 'invented' what here it is just seeming to me that GM seems to be getting more interested in being a finance company or a mortgage banker than they are in building some neat cars like we know they can.
I've studied the history of the american auto business quite a little in the past 25 years or so and it sort of appears to me that the sales/finance types have been in charge of things since at least the mid-sixties. Estes may have been the last one to actually come from the plant side of the thing to be able to run things. Deloran had some cool ideas but at the wrong time.
Don't even worry about langauges spoken in the labs as you'll find plenty of German, Nipponese, Italian, and lots of others there. Seems to be the world we've inherited...
Old 08-12-2004, 12:09 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

Also, Ford has been tooled for the pushrod type motor for years so I think that part of the reason could be cost here.
Ford is a business with a lot of stockholders that like a profit each quarter. I sure wonder what sort of stuff they could build if they didn't have such restraints put on them and good really start with a clean sheet of paper.
The 'Windsor' small block design goes back to about 1959 probably when all the designers had to work with was a slide rule.......
Old 08-12-2004, 06:09 PM
TattooTears
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 04ShakinSteed

ORIGINAL: TattooTears

ORIGINAL: sidewayz4.6

Or is it Ford copying GM since the SST was designed and on the market first?
But wasn't the retro Thunderbird out before the SST?
OMG! please don't say that is retro anything...the Thunderbird was just a new design on Fords part...totally backfired on them. Very sad.
I thought Ford was thinking retro when they created the "new" thunderbird. And yes it was a failure only see a VERY small amount of them on the road. My grandmother actually has one, she loves that thing.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:48 PM
98LS1
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 98LS1

Sure...Use my line...

Besides. For the record, the Caddy is a 4V 4.6, that would make it LESS hp then the pre 03 Cobra, or the Mach 1.
More than the Mach....and even to an N/A Cobra. 320hp.

You really think a Mach 1 is really at it's rated 305 Hp???? At Mach1registry, people have been getting dynoed on a stock set up at abput 285-290 hp to the rear wheels
Really? A lot of the dyno's I've seen have been pretty right on the number from Ford. Maybe they were auto's....? I'm assuming these are M5 Mach's?

They're almost making auto LS1 power. Sweet.

It still should have wore the GT label.

About the OHC motor being used because of cost....it cost MORE to make the OHC motors....
Old 08-13-2004, 12:13 AM
04ShakinSteed
I ♥ Acer

Sure...Use my line...

Besides. For the record, the Caddy is a 4V 4.6, that would make it LESS hp then the pre 03 Cobra, or the Mach 1.

You really think a Mach 1 is really at it's rated 305 Hp???? At Mach1registry, people have been getting dynoed on a stock set up at abput 285-290 hp to the rear wheels
Really? A lot of the dyno's I've seen have been pretty right on the number from Ford. Maybe they were auto's....? I'm assuming these are M5 Mach's?

About the OHC motor being used because of cost....it cost MORE to make the OHC motors....
Ford. Maybe they were auto's....? I'm assuming these are M5 Mach's?

The numbers are very consistant down the line...that is why there is no way that the Mach is putting out 305 at the flywheel...more like 330.
Old 08-13-2004, 12:16 AM
98LS1
6th Gear Member

Well hell, sounds like if you have a manual, you're putting down as much power as me, stock for stock.

What all have you got done to "teh Mach" anyhow? Those things are kickass. My GF is looking through an autotrader right now and found one for 26k.....I was like, jebus.
Old 08-13-2004, 02:50 AM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

How Much Powar is Teh LS1 Puttin out?
Old 08-13-2004, 12:52 PM
callmecobra
5th Gear Member

Or is it Ford copying GM since the SST was designed and on the market first?
you mean the ssr?? its not very vintage in my op.
Old 08-20-2004, 03:02 PM
Stanley
1st Gear Member

Sure...Use my line...

Ford. Maybe they were auto's....? I'm assuming these are M5 Mach's?

The numbers are very consistant down the line...that is why there is no way that the Mach is putting out 305 at the flywheel...more like 330.

I just wanted to keep the mega quote posts going.

That is all.