Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Is ford a step behind?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 04:27 AM
f.f.ford
1st Gear Member

Default Is ford a step behind?

I recently just picked up an issue of Motor trend and read the cover story on the new GT500KR. Now don't get me wrong it looks like an awesome automobile but why did ford choose to give it only540 horses? It seems like there has been a horsepower war going on between Chevy, Ford, and Dodge and with the rumored 600 Horse Blue Devil, and the new 600 horse viper, why would Ford and Shelby choose to give their new highest performance vehicle a 60 horsepower handycap to the competition?
Old 05-13-2007, 01:58 PM
Justabear
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Is ford a step behind?

FORD has really messed up in my opinion, it is not a Horsepower issue it is an availability issue. The fact that all the loyal FORD fans can't go down to a local showroom today and walk out with a GT-500 or a Shelby GT and now the new KR (should be called a KY) without being bent over by the dealers + you have the availabilty issue, no stock! You see one or two cars trickle through the dealerships at 5 or 10 or 15 K over sticker! Mustang sales have been down every month this year as compared to the previous year, OK, I am off my soap box, sorry.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:53 AM
GNATSUM
1st Gear Member

well in all honesty the mustang will not be as fast as the top of the line corvettes and vipers, ford needs to make a less expensive derivetive of the Ford GT to compete with the corvette, but ford doesn't have a lot of money to invest so they just use the mustang

oh and that rumored blue devil is rumored to go for 100k
Old 05-16-2007, 02:17 AM
Lizardbreath
2nd Gear Member

Sometimes I wonder about the guys on these forums. The Shelby is not made to compete with vipers or corvettes and neither are the regular mustangs. Also both of those vehicles are going to be listed well above 100k I guarantee it so don't get your panties in a not.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:50 AM
joshua029
2nd Gear Member

im amazed at the 500KR but nothing in comparison to the Blue Devil and Vipers 600. kinda amazed at how many people still compare the 4 seats to the 2s all the time. Ford fan for life so i'd love to see the pretty blue pull ahead but until they come out with a "slimfast" kit for mustangs (all fords if you wanna get techinical) then there will continue to be a big gap...
Old 05-22-2007, 07:18 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: joshua029

im amazed at the 500KR but nothing in comparison to the Blue Devil and Vipers 600. kinda amazed at how many people still compare the 4 seats to the 2s all the time. Ford fan for life so i'd love to see the pretty blue pull ahead but until they come out with a "slimfast" kit for mustangs (all fords if you wanna get techinical) then there will continue to be a big gap...
The main thing missing from Ford's lineup as of now is a true 2 seater sports car. The Ford GT was a limited production specialty car.....and is no longer being made. Non-Ford ppl love to compare the Vette and Viper to the GT500 and its tuned up siblings (the KR and Super Snake).....but that's mainly because GM and Dodge currently don't have a pony car of their own on the market.One could compare the GT500 to a BMW 760 Liif they wanted to......but how fair would that be? The Shelby weighs considerably less and has 60 more hp and over a 100 more lb/ft of torque. Not to mention the BMW is a 4 door luxury car. How fair is that?

Butreally, Ford does need a production sportscar to compete with the Corvette. I'd like to see them use the Ford GT/Shelby GR-1 concept architecture to build another lightweight midengine 2 seater..........and it'd be nice if they developed a 6.2-6.7 liter OHV aluminum block motor to power it with. Anywhere from 500-650hp on tap. That'd get the blood flowing.
Old 05-26-2007, 08:44 PM
90lxstang
4th Gear Member

yea, themustang is pretty much gonna be in its own class until the return of the camaro
Old 05-29-2007, 08:34 PM
GNATSUM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ThisBlood147

ORIGINAL: joshua029

The main thing missing from Ford's lineup as of now is a true 2 seater sports car. The Ford GT was a limited production specialty car.....and is no longer being made. Non-Ford ppl love to compare the Vette and Viper to the GT500 and its tuned up siblings (the KR and Super Snake).....but that's mainly because GM and Dodge currently don't have a pony car of their own on the market.One could compare the GT500 to a BMW 760 Liif they wanted to......but how fair would that be? The Shelby weighs considerably less and has 60 more hp and over a 100 more lb/ft of torque. Not to mention the BMW is a 4 door luxury car. How fair is that?

Butreally, Ford does need a production sportscar to compete with the Corvette. I'd like to see them use the Ford GT/Shelby GR-1 concept architecture to build another lightweight midengine 2 seater..........and it'd be nice if they developed a 6.2-6.7 liter OHV aluminum block motor to power it with. Anywhere from 500-650hp on tap. That'd get the blood flowing.
exactly what i would like to see, i know ford can do it, but i don't know if they want to do it, the new "boss" would be great to start with in this, but unfortunaetly, there is no fan base for this, i would like to call it either the "Ford Forza" or bring back the "Ford Torino" name
Old 06-21-2007, 04:10 PM
Blckstng93
4th Gear Member

This is only my opinion...

First of all, the Mustang needs to go on one hell of a diet...BAD! It also needs a lower center of gravity for even better handling and a suspension like that of the Viper and/or Vette. The Stang may be ok but its just big and heavy, i still dont like how Ford seems to need a s/c to put out big numbers that GM can get with n/a.

Stang vs. Vette. Theyve always been in a different class. Always will be.
Stang vs. Viper. Theyve always been in a different class. Always will be.

What about the Vette vs. Viper? The Viper shouldnt even be compared to either the Stang OR the Vette no matter how many seats it does or doesnt have or thier hp/tq ratings. The Viper has a V10 which in itself is a different class when the other 2 have a V8. A V10 should be classed with the exotics like Ferrari for example. Stuff one into a Stang or a Vette, it should be considered a hybrid at most. Last Viper i seen was a few years ago. Then again i never did see that many. Lots of Vettes tho.

The Vette keeps getting more power and the Viper will likely see a few more boosts in power as well im sure. Wouldnt suprise me to see a 700hp Viper from the factory. Same with the Vette. By that time Ford might be close what 600hp? Still using the same old Stang to im sure. At what price? I dont want to know. As far as hp goes, Ford seems to like being last. The only really good offering so far has been the GT...but it was for the sake of conversation, an exotic being mid engine rear drive, classed with Ferrari and Lamborghini. Which it did quite well. But how many of us could afford one? Forget the GT, it was never meant for long term production anyway. It was just a teaser if you ask me. How many are in the market for a $125k Ford? Exactly.

The Stang was ever in competition (nor should it be) with niether the Vette nor Viper. The Mustang is for those that want an affordable perfomance car with decent power and comfort. Viper and Vette are sports cars. Would the general public rather shell out $25k for 300hp or nearly $50-$60 (even $100k) for a 600hp when we could build one ourselves for less and match it? Slap a Shelby sticker on there and Bam! an instant $25,000 has just been added. How often would an everyday commuter use a 540hp monster anyway? Most of us just want a good looking car with some pep THEY CAN AFFORD and a car they can get. Whats more available? Yes, the cheaper model. What are more people buying? Yes, the cheaper model.

Do we want 2 seats or 4? The younger generations like many of us on here (eventually) are having kids so theyd prefer 4. The Stang lovers in us scream for a Mustang so thats what they get, some of them. The older generations who are retired or whos kids are grown up and away at college or simply moved on or who are trying to compensate go for the Vette or the Viper. Its quick, its fast, its got good power, its not overly expensive, and its a good handling car. Its getting dated but still gets noticed.

What about Fords 2-seater? Yea, they dont have one now, it was too expensive. Ford should build another one but not one thats over $125k. Look how long the last one lasted, whooptie doo. It needs to be affordable first of all. Same price range as the Vette, same options more less. It needs to match its performance. How many limiteds has GM put out in the last few years? Not that many, atleast not like Ford has. Why? They havent needed to, no from what ive noticed. Of course GM has quite a few affordable other cars, not all performance cars either. Ford has...the Mustang, pickups, and a few passenger cars. They bring out a new car and its gone in a few years replaced by a more expensive pos with some wierd name.

I like what GM has out there because thats about all i see out there basically. Very few Fords, usually trucks if anything with a few SUVs.

In the end, i feel Ford needs to do more than just give us anaffordable 2 seater to compete with the Vette (screw the Viper in that comoparison) and stop giving so many higher hp offerings and decked out luxury cars. Not everybody wants that.

So, my suggestion for Ford...

Bring back the Thunderbird! And none of that retro stuff either. A basic 2 seater with a decent engine with decent power and a good handling suspension. After all, it was Fords original 2 seater and in many ways, did compete with the Vette. Too bad the bird was more luxury than perfomance. That can change if Ford really wanted to. Nobody said the Thunderbird had to be a luxury car. Put some pep into that nameplate. And make it affordable.

Like said, this is all just my opinion and i already know a few dont agree with most of it. But Ford does need to do something, and its just the Mustang. Its thier entire line.

Yea, im done.

Old 06-23-2007, 02:56 AM
GNATSUM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Blckstng93

This is only my opinion...

First of all, the Mustang needs to go on one hell of a diet...BAD! It also needs a lower center of gravity for even better handling and a suspension like that of the Viper and/or Vette. The Stang may be ok but its just big and heavy, i still dont like how Ford seems to need a s/c to put out big numbers that GM can get with n/a.

Stang vs. Vette. Theyve always been in a different class. Always will be.
Stang vs. Viper. Theyve always been in a different class. Always will be.

What about the Vette vs. Viper? The Viper shouldnt even be compared to either the Stang OR the Vette no matter how many seats it does or doesnt have or thier hp/tq ratings. The Viper has a V10 which in itself is a different class when the other 2 have a V8. A V10 should be classed with the exotics like Ferrari for example. Stuff one into a Stang or a Vette, it should be considered a hybrid at most. Last Viper i seen was a few years ago. Then again i never did see that many. Lots of Vettes tho.

The Vette keeps getting more power and the Viper will likely see a few more boosts in power as well im sure. Wouldnt suprise me to see a 700hp Viper from the factory. Same with the Vette. By that time Ford might be close what 600hp? Still using the same old Stang to im sure. At what price? I dont want to know. As far as hp goes, Ford seems to like being last. The only really good offering so far has been the GT...but it was for the sake of conversation, an exotic being mid engine rear drive, classed with Ferrari and Lamborghini. Which it did quite well. But how many of us could afford one? Forget the GT, it was never meant for long term production anyway. It was just a teaser if you ask me. How many are in the market for a $125k Ford? Exactly.

The Stang was ever in competition (nor should it be) with niether the Vette nor Viper. The Mustang is for those that want an affordable perfomance car with decent power and comfort. Viper and Vette are sports cars. Would the general public rather shell out $25k for 300hp or nearly $50-$60 (even $100k) for a 600hp when we could build one ourselves for less and match it? Slap a Shelby sticker on there and Bam! an instant $25,000 has just been added. How often would an everyday commuter use a 540hp monster anyway? Most of us just want a good looking car with some pep THEY CAN AFFORD and a car they can get. Whats more available? Yes, the cheaper model. What are more people buying? Yes, the cheaper model.

Do we want 2 seats or 4? The younger generations like many of us on here (eventually) are having kids so theyd prefer 4. The Stang lovers in us scream for a Mustang so thats what they get, some of them. The older generations who are retired or whos kids are grown up and away at college or simply moved on or who are trying to compensate go for the Vette or the Viper. Its quick, its fast, its got good power, its not overly expensive, and its a good handling car. Its getting dated but still gets noticed.

What about Fords 2-seater? Yea, they dont have one now, it was too expensive. Ford should build another one but not one thats over $125k. Look how long the last one lasted, whooptie doo. It needs to be affordable first of all. Same price range as the Vette, same options more less. It needs to match its performance. How many limiteds has GM put out in the last few years? Not that many, atleast not like Ford has. Why? They havent needed to, no from what ive noticed. Of course GM has quite a few affordable other cars, not all performance cars either. Ford has...the Mustang, pickups, and a few passenger cars. They bring out a new car and its gone in a few years replaced by a more expensive pos with some wierd name.

I like what GM has out there because thats about all i see out there basically. Very few Fords, usually trucks if anything with a few SUVs.

In the end, i feel Ford needs to do more than just give us anaffordable 2 seater to compete with the Vette (screw the Viper in that comoparison) and stop giving so many higher hp offerings and decked out luxury cars. Not everybody wants that.

So, my suggestion for Ford...

Bring back the Thunderbird! And none of that retro stuff either. A basic 2 seater with a decent engine with decent power and a good handling suspension. After all, it was Fords original 2 seater and in many ways, did compete with the Vette. Too bad the bird was more luxury than perfomance. That can change if Ford really wanted to. Nobody said the Thunderbird had to be a luxury car. Put some pep into that nameplate. And make it affordable.

Like said, this is all just my opinion and i already know a few dont agree with most of it. But Ford does need to do something, and its just the Mustang. Its thier entire line.

Yea, im done.

i agree bring back the Tbird so the vette and viper fans can have a fair comparison, but put some emphasis into it's handling and power

Quick Reply: Is ford a step behind?