Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Fake Cars?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 08:31 AM
jeveretts

Default Fake Cars?

Do people actually do this? I admittedly do not know that much about Mustangs, I own a 98GT, and I read a bit, but I am not into modding or anything. A neighbor has a 2005+ Mustang, it is badged as a Cobra R, however looking through the wheels, it seems to have small brakes with just plain ol grey unbadged calipers. It does have dual exhaust like a GT, but it is VERY quite when driving. I can also see a Flowtech intercooler behind the front. Is this probably just a GT with a bolt on Cobra badge? Although it did sounds real quiet too...

Old 10-02-2007, 09:02 AM
golden_eye
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Fake Cars?

Yeah probably fake. The only real Cobras Rs were in '93, '95, and '00 to my knowledge. I've seen plenty of cars with the R body kits on them though, mostly on V-6s oddly enough.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:13 PM
ravenforbidden
2nd Gear Member

It's like anyone who likes a car, they'll slap badges on... One of the 5.0 mustang trends is to slap Cobra's ontop the 5.0 badge. So ya it happens, but being able to recognize clone from breed is really where you have to start with it.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:08 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

I can't stand when people put Cobra body parts on their GT or V6... putting the badges on makes it even worse.

I went to a tire store one day, and i saw a black Cobra outside... on closer inspection, I realized it was a GT.
I went inside to as about it, and the guy swore up and down it was a Cobra. So I took him outside, pointed out al the reasons why it wasnt a cobra.. pointed at my car, called the guy a disgrace, and told him to kill himself.

I drove by two days later, and the car didnt have cobra badges on it anymore!
Old 10-04-2007, 09:15 AM
jeveretts

OK, I have the full scoop... It is a V6 Automatic. He put Cobra R badges on either side, aftermarket rims, a Cobra special edition plackard on the dash, and a Cobra R badge on the passenger side of the dash. He put a GT rear bumber cover on and put on dual exhaust. He has a intercooler in the front but no forced injection, it is just sucking air throught the intercooler.

Seems to me he shoulda just bought a GT, I think from now on, everytime I see him, I am going to give my '98 GT with flowmasters a little rev... just to keep in him line
Old 10-04-2007, 02:23 PM
golden_eye
3rd Gear Member

Lol, why would you put an intercooler on a car with no FI? I seefakes likethat all the time. There's a couple Mustangs here I see all the time that are pretty bad. One is a plain old V-6 with a Cobra R wing and an SVT badge on the trunk and nothing else. There's another one that has both Cobra and Roush badging on it but I suspect that it's neither. It has pretty dark tint though so I couldn't see inside.

PS oops forgot to mention there was a Cobra R in '93 also.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:57 AM
ponyman1969
1st Gear Member

think its like "ravenforbidden" says: being able to recognize clone from breed. thats what makes you a real mustang guy.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:05 AM
02WhiteGTVert
3rd Gear Member

there's an SVT Bullitt where i work. Dumb guy. it is a real bullitt though,unless he changed the sail panels,which i highly doubt he was intelligent enough to do.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:14 PM
neonmarine
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

I can't stand when people put Cobra body parts on their GT or V6... putting the badges on makes it even worse.

I went to a tire store one day, and i saw a black Cobra outside... on closer inspection, I realized it was a GT.
I went inside to as about it, and the guy swore up and down it was a Cobra. So I took him outside, pointed out al the reasons why it wasnt a cobra.. pointed at my car, called the guy a disgrace, and told him to kill himself.

I drove by two days later, and the car didnt have cobra badges on it anymore!
So what are you saying? I have a clone. Big deal. Once you change the cam,intake, and the headsits not a Cobra. So you have a Cobra and hate guys who can walk the walk of a Cobra, but want to add the look. Get over it. What if one of these guys could smoke a Cobra? Does that mean anything?

What if I said: "Have you served in Iraqand Afgahistan in the US Marines?" "Oh, you haven't, go kill yourself civilian."

See what I mean. If a V6 guy wants the attention, he'll get it from Z28s and they'll eat his lunch. That should be the lesson to learn.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:35 PM
dastangman
2nd Gear Member

I'll admit, my car has fake badging. I hate it, absolutely hate it. I bought the car with the badging, knowing it was a GT. It could beat any stock Cobra around town, but I still didn't feel right about it. Just because I had a supercharger and had a faster car did not make me a Cobra owner. The engines are nothing alike, one can spit out 300HP n/a while the other needs a supercharger to get up there.

I ordered GT badges from Dallas Mustang Parts, but somehow the order number got messed up and what came in the mail, 40th anniversary badges. I figured that was even worse and sent them back. I attempted to get the badges again, but this time around I ended up getting GT badges, however they had a flame graphic over the top. While it was closer, I still wasn't a fan of the flames and gave up. My new thought is to fake badge again, but fake down. What if I put regular Stang badges, you know stock V6 badges. Now that would throw peopel for a loop. I'll get em changed off sometime for GT emblems, but I'll be honest I'm lazy right now and the car is hardly driven. I'm only embarassed when other Stang drivers see it, I can only imagine they might know. But I'll honest about it, and we race, sometimes I win sometimes I lose and in the end, eh...no one cares cuz I'm not hiding it. That's really the worse thing, is when you are trying to hide it and trying to make it seem faster, it's like a form of ricing out the mustnag.

Quick Reply: Fake Cars?