Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

FORD TSB FOR S197 WATER LEAKS

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 11:42 PM
WaterSoakedLemon05

Default FORD TSB FOR S197 WATER LEAKS

FORD HAS ANNOUNCED THE ULTIMATE REPAIR FOR S-197 WATER LEAKS ...

#1. Purchase the following items:
2 to 3 cases of black or blue RTV
3LARGE cans ofseam sealer.
2 Large green plastic garbage bags.

#2. Pull back carpetin trunk and at kick panels.
#3. Remove sill plates and kick panels.
#4. Remove both front fenders, wiper armsand windshield filler plate. Pull all retainers and plugs from filler plate in front of windshield.
#5. THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT STEP ..... Coat every grommet, seam, hole, wiring harness, crack and bolt hole you can find with seam sealer or RTV. Ensure entire fire wall and windshield area are coatedwith a heavy layer of either sealant as appropriate.Pack the entire kick panel area (aroundSJB) with seam sealer. (THE INTERIOR FIREWALL AS WELL AS THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT MUST BE COATED WITH AT LEAST 1/2" OF RTV.) Cut the garbage bag along the sides andpressinto the wet RTV that coats the firewall.
#6. Coat entire SJB (smart junction box) with a1/2" layer of RTV. Cut plastic garbage bag into 20" x 20" square. Press garbage bag square onto front of SJB. Ensure equal amounts of plastic bag are at top and bottom of SJB. Coatloose edges of plastic bag with RTV and wrap completely around SJB. We don't need no stinking Ford supplied styrofoam water deflector shield for the SJB. No water is gonna get in there again if you do it this way. (You probably won't ever be able to get in there ever again, BUT you won't have any electrical problems caused by water getting in there.)
#7 While RTV is still wet, reinstall plugs and retainers back into filler plate infront of windshield. When reinstalling windshield filler plate, coat the back with a heavy layer of RTV this will prevent any water from sneaking back into those pesky already RTV filled holes.
#8. If leak is suspected in trunk area, repeat sealing instructions for rear of car at all seams, grommets, holes, wiring harnesses, cracks and bolt holes in trunk area.
#9. If leak is suspected in tail light area, remove tail lights and using at least one entire tube of RTV per light, coat back of each light fixture and re install.
NOTE :Before replacing fenders, coat area under fenders along the top of the shock tower to the firewall with 1" wide band of seam sealer and pressfenderback into place.Wipe off any excess seam sealer. Use care to not disturb the RTV already plasteredall over the firewall and at the bottom of the windshield and every where elseFORD'S TSB already told you to put it.
#10. Allow all seam sealer and RTV todry completely for 2-3 weeks.

MY POINT : You bought a new car, Ford couldn't even engineer and build a car that doesn't let water in the passenger compartment.Their solution is to throw RTV at it until the leaks go away. There may be people who love these cars enough to spend their time patching up Ford F*!@k Ups. Sorry,butI can't see why I should spendmy money for something then have to spend my time fixing it because it was never built properly.

Old 11-17-2007, 06:58 AM
myredgt
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: FORD TSB FOR S197 WATER LEAKS

I have an 06 and have never had one leak. Way to show your maturity by postinga thread full of whine. I'm sure if I had the same problem, Inot be very happy, and most frustrated myself. I still would not turn myself into a whine factory.

How your post really is:

WaterSoakedLemon05
Date 11/16/2007 9:42:44 PM

FORD HAS ANNOUNCED THE ULTIMATE REPAIR FOR S-197 WATER LEAKS ...

#1. Purchase the following items:
2 to 3 cases of black or blue RTV
3LARGE cans ofseam sealer.
2 Large green plastic garbage bags.

#2. Pull back carpetin trunk and at kick panels.
#3. Remove sill plates and kick panels.
#4. Remove both front fenders, wiper armsand windshield filler plate. Pull all retainers and plugs from filler plate in front of windshield.
#5. THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT STEP ..... Coat every grommet, seam, hole, wiring harness, crack and bolt hole you can find with seam sealer or RTV. Ensure entire fire wall and windshield area are coatedwith a heavy layer of either sealant as appropriate.Pack the entire kick panel area (aroundSJB) with seam sealer. (THE INTERIOR FIREWALL AS WELL AS THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT MUST BE COATED WITH AT LEAST 1/2" OF RTV.) Cut the garbage bag along the sides andpressinto the wet RTV that coats the firewall.
#6. Coat entire SJB (smart junction box) with a1/2" layer of RTV. Cut plastic garbage bag into 20" x 20" square. Press garbage bag square onto front of SJB. Ensure equal amounts of plastic bag are at top and bottom of SJB. Coatloose edges of plastic bag with RTV and wrap completely around SJB. We don't need no stinking Ford supplied styrofoam water deflector shield for the SJB. No water is gonna get in there again if you do it this way. (You probably won't ever be able to get in there ever again, BUT you won't have any electrical problems caused by water getting in there.)
#7 While RTV is still wet, reinstall plugs and retainers back into filler plate infront of windshield. When reinstalling windshield filler plate, coat the back with a heavy layer of RTV this will prevent any water from sneaking back into those pesky already RTV filled holes.
#8. If leak is suspected in trunk area, repeat sealing instructions for rear of car at all seams, grommets, holes, wiring harnesses, cracks and bolt holes in trunk area.
#9. If leak is suspected in tail light area, remove tail lights and using at least one entire tube of RTV per light, coat back of each light fixture and re install.
NOTE :Before replacing fenders, coat area under fenders along the top of the shock tower to the firewall with 1" wide band of seam sealer and pressfenderback into place.Wipe off any excess seam sealer. Use care to not disturb the RTV already plasteredall over the firewall and at the bottom of the windshield and every where elseFORD'S TSB already told you to put it.
#10. Allow all seam sealer and RTV todry completely for 2-3 weeks.

MY POINT : You bought a new car, Ford couldn't even engineer and build a car that doesn't let water in the passenger compartment.Their solution is to throw RTV at it until the leaks go away. There may be people who love these cars enough to spend their time patching up Ford F*!@k Ups. Sorry,butI can't see why I should spendmy money for something then have to spend my time fixing it because it was never built properly.

What I, and probably alot of others see:

Attempt to be funny. Whine. Taking out frustrations and annoying other people. Whine. Whine.

Large body of whine.

Conclusion of whine.
I am not putting you down, or making fun of you in any way. I am just pointing out what it looks like to me. [&:]

- C
Old 11-17-2007, 10:19 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

I agree. I've had my car for over 2 years now and still don't know what this "leaky passenger compartment" stuff is all about. And lord knows I drive this car in one of the hottest, wettest, stickiest climates in the country. :shrug:
Old 11-20-2007, 04:21 AM
MustangBuilder

Thanks for the points guys. As an assembler it is impossible to get ALL of the quirks and rattles and squeaks out all of the vehicles regardless of the manufacturer. I guess some people out there would be happier if a manufacturer ignored their problem all together so they could then go on forums and complain about that!
Old 11-23-2007, 10:47 AM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Basically every car manufactured has TSBs...there are exceptions. If you want to check how our Stangs compare to others, go to http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr.../tsbsearch.cfm and do a quick comparison. Well, I did and quick one and here's what I found...I used my year model as a reference and I looked at what could be considered as comparisons to the stangs...no a perfect match in my opinion to some, but what the heck. So for 2006 models here's a non-scientific research of the TSB...

BWM - 4 TSBs for 2006 models
AUDI - 21 TSBs for 2006
VETTES - 44 TSBs for 2006
STANG - 11 TSBs for 2006
MERCEDES - 0 for 2006
PORSCHES - 0 for 2006

Bottomline: I could have gone on and on, but its boring...so we are not doing too bad...
Old 11-25-2007, 12:27 AM
darcnytemare
2nd Gear Member

every new car when it comes out has its quirks. but i agree that u buy a car cause u like it. all mustangs sprung leaks somewhere and ive owned 6.

hey it coulda been worse.....we could all drive camaros and have mullets

Original: myredgt

quote:

Attempt to be funny. Whine. Taking out frustrations and annoying other people. Whine. Whine.

Large body of whine.

Conclusion of whine.
hahahahaha...thats great[sm=lol.gif]