Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

oil and looks like a bit of coolant leaking

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 11:59 PM
soulcaliber39

Default oil and looks like a bit of coolant leaking

I bought a 2005 ford Mustang gt a few months ago I've had a few problems but now I can't figure out where this oil leak and looks like some coolant is mixed in and it's dripping off the plate between the oil pan and transmission can anyone help me out?
Old 08-24-2015, 03:57 PM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

i would recommend pulling the intake off and looking around for the leak/s. could be a bad rear main seal or any other seal for that matter. you need to fine the leaks asap and make sure they are separate, meaning only an oil leak one place and anti-freeze another. both leaking from same spot would almost mean head gasket or cracked head or block. pull the oil dipstick and see if there is any anti-freeze mixed in with oil. if not, you should be ok, if so, then its probably to late as anti-freeze will eat bearing surfaces in a hurry. good luck
Old 08-24-2015, 05:15 PM
soulcaliber39

Originally Posted by bl817
i would recommend pulling the intake off and looking around for the leak/s. could be a bad rear main seal or any other seal for that matter. you need to fine the leaks asap and make sure they are separate, meaning only an oil leak one place and anti-freeze another. both leaking from same spot would almost mean head gasket or cracked head or block. pull the oil dipstick and see if there is any anti-freeze mixed in with oil. if not, you should be ok, if so, then its probably to late as anti-freeze will eat bearing surfaces in a hurry. good luck
OK did that and no coolant in the oil and it's only oil leaking only after I drive a bit and I'm gonna take it to the shop and see what they tell me
Old 08-24-2015, 06:32 PM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

that's good that there isn't any coolant in the oil. taking it to a shop is a good idea but you can do some looking with a flashlight and basic hand tools if you feel so inclined. if you take your car to a shop and tell them that you have an oil and coolant leak, they are likely going to say you need a new water pump and head gaskets. don't tell them anything when you go. just say its running weird and using oil, something like that. it could be as simple as a intake gasket leaking as these cars tend to suck oil into the intake.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:26 PM
soulcaliber39

Originally Posted by bl817
that's good that there isn't any coolant in the oil. taking it to a shop is a good idea but you can do some looking with a flashlight and basic hand tools if you feel so inclined. if you take your car to a shop and tell them that you have an oil and coolant leak, they are likely going to say you need a new water pump and head gaskets. don't tell them anything when you go. just say its running weird and using oil, something like that. it could be as simple as a intake gasket leaking as these cars tend to suck oil into the intake.
Thank you so much for your help I'm hoping it's just the intake gasket now that I can do myself just not the head gasket or the main seals don't have the right tools for it I already had to replace the fuel rail pressure sensor and clean the throttle body it had like 2 inches of gunk build up so it gave me the code p0506
Old 12-28-2016, 04:57 AM
greengt03

I was wondering if this issue ever found a resolution? I have an 07 GT that is doing the same thing. Any ideas what it might have been?