Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

No More V8 MUSTANGS In the future

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 07:39 AM
08 Bullitt 2310
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: No More V8 MUSTANGS In the future

The people that covet the sound of a V8 engine are a dying breed.It makes more economic sense to start putting upgraded 4 and 6 cylinder engines in the Mustang because they can cut costs due to being able to share the same engine platform throughout the lineup.Ther still is no 4 or 6 that can sound like a V8,Oh well.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:04 PM
josephspann
1st Gear Member

Le Mans is largely V8 and V10. What I was trying to say is they aren't wanting to use smaller engines because of the potential of hp. Of course WRC uses 4 cylinders... It's rally... all evo's and wrx's and stuff like that. Most other forms of racing are larger engines like a V8 or V10. I'm still not seeing how a 4 cylinder has equal power potential at a larger engine whether it is a v8 or v10 is besides the point.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:46 PM
kyle2k
1st Gear Member

No you are not seeing it, but you also were stupid enough to suggest 1 v8 could get 8000hp? Yeah, for a couple seconds and then explode.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:15 PM
5.0LitreSN95
2nd Gear Member

I am going to try to address everything I see as wrong with this thread. Alrighty, here I go.

1) The mustang is not a muscle car, never has been and never will.The mustang is a pony car, actually it invented the whole pony car class. *Interesting sidenote, see below.

2) V8, V6 orI4the sound of a vehicles engine all comes down to preference.

3) An engine is essentially a big air pump, meaning more air = more power. There are two ways (excluding additives such as nitrous) to get more air: have a larger volume combustion area (read- bigger engine) or have a higher concentration of air per unit volume (read- more pressure, or "boost"). This means that each engine type has an equalizer, small engines have forced induction while larger engines have displacement. Now I'm sure someone will pipe up with this gem "Following that logic it would be better to have a big engine with boost, so big engine's win." This is partially correct but flawed. Yes in an ideal situation this is true, but one must take into account the predispositions of the engines. Large displacement engines tend to be low-revving, and built with internals built for ambient air pressure whereas small displacement engines are built to be high-revving and stronger internals built for high pressures(boost). The conclusion that can be drawn from all of this is that no engine is truly more disposed to producing power, or has more "potential". The potential of an engine is directly porportional to the amount of money one is willing to put into said engine.

*Originally the Mustang was small, low weight and low power when compared to muscle cars. It derived it's sales from being moderately fast, due to moderate horsepower and low weight, and enjoyable to drive. Sound familiar, because it should be. This descriptionfits most Japanese sports cars, which are smaller, weigh less and have less power when compared to domestics.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:16 PM
08 Bullitt 2310
2nd Gear Member

Displacement on demand seems to be a flop.Lots of technology for a few miles to the gallon at best.I'm pretty sure the V8 as we know it will die soon for the most part.They could get a lot better mileage out of one with something as simple as direct injection.But what vehicles really require a V8 nowadays?Trucks?Musclecars,Ponycars?CAFE standards will most likely kill us around the 2010 models.I'm not ready for anything other than a V8 symphony but I am obviously amongst a few.Most cars are wrong wheel drive and don't have the room for a V8 so look to getting acquainted with the sounds of 4 and 6 cylinders or keep your current cars!The dinosaurs never saw it coming,Thank God we do!
Old 03-14-2008, 10:59 PM
josephspann
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kyle2k

No you are not seeing it, but you also were stupid enough to suggest 1 v8 could get 8000hp? Yeah, for a couple seconds and then explode.
one V8 can make 8000 hp. I never said it was meant to last. They last enough to do their job which is 4 seconds down the strip. What top fuel dragster uses a basketball size turbo with a I4? your missing what i'm trying to say too so in a way I guess were both not seeing it one way or another. This is like beating a dead animal with a stick. It is pointless to try and state a point on here because you just get people stating their own and it turns to an argument. And like its been said before... arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics. even if you win you are still retarded
Old 03-15-2008, 10:29 AM
scg87
5th Gear Member

You do realize that those 8,000hp V8's are still using forced-induction, right???

And at any rate, if the aguement winner is retarded, what does that make the loser????.....
Old 03-16-2008, 07:35 PM
kyle2k
1st Gear Member

That special olympics comment was created by people that are too stupid to defend their own opinions to make themselves feel better.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:36 PM
TurtleSLow
3rd Gear Member

i have mixed views on this, i kind of wouldnt mind because then you could listen to two turbos goin off, but my mustang love just tells me the v8s sound too mean to let go. yeah you can cam and o/r xpipe and headers and all that for the v6 to sound almost like the 8, but its just not quite the same.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:56 PM
TheDutchTexan
4th Gear Member

If a Mustang is not considered a "new" musclecar, what is? Charger SRT8? Come-on...

I guess it's a personal opinion, as I won't stray from mine, others will not stray from theirs. Fact is the world is going green, but loose the V8? I don't care if an engine makes more power, a v6 still sounds nothing like a V8. And I think, even without mds, they can coax more gas mileage out of the current V8's. Hell, if they find a way to make lighter cars, and keep the same horsepower, you'll end up with more MPG & have better performance. But if we don't have another choice? Damn... guess I'll be stuck driving my 2005 for all eternity then.

Quick Reply: No More V8 MUSTANGS In the future