Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Motor Trend claims Mustang may go with V6 twin turbos

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 08:03 PM
Silky_Johnston
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Motor Trend claims Mustang may go with V6 twin turbos

A few quick thoughts:

There was a time when Ford floated the idea of completely replacing the Mustang with the Probe. If we make enough noise we will be able to save the beloved V8.

as for oil:

1) The US has 27% of the world's coal. Why are we not converting the coal to gasoline? The ***** did it to fuel their war machine. Before the battle of the Bulge they produced just over 103,000 barrels WHILE being bombed by the USAAF and the RAF around the clock. What is stopping us from doing this, espcially when oil is going for over $100.00 per barrel???

2) The US has not build a new refinery since 1970. Regardless of how much oil the arabs pump oil the real bottle neck is our finite # of refineries. The problem is compounded by the fact that the same refineries produce home heating oil as well as 40 different blends of gas for the various sections of the US. WTF is up with that?

How do we fix this? Tell all the trust fund, enviro-douches to f*ck off. We should develop new sources of energy BUT that doesn't mean working class should go broke in the mean time trying to fuel their vehicles. Our standard of living and economy do not need to be sacrificied for some green nut cases.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:12 PM
5.0LitreSN95
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 07 Stang

ORIGINAL: 5.0LitreSN95

If it means a drop in weight, and in overall dimensions (the S197 looks enourmous parked next to other generations ofmustangs) I would actually prefer a twin turbo V6.
Yes, they do look bigger but keep in mind what the designer was trying to accomplish....make it look like the '60s Mustang but with a Retro look. I think they did a superb job! Not only that, but to me the '90s Mustang looked too much like a small compact car. Like Ford was trying to compete with Honda instead of keeping true to the muscle car image. Look at the Charger or the upcoming Challenger.....the '90s Mustang looks tooooo small against those beast!
For the most part, Fordaccomplished the retro styling goal, but part of styling is size. The older Mustangs are considerably smaller than the new ones, actually they are on about the same scale as those 90's Mustangs that are "too small" . Oh and oddly enough,when those 90's Mustangs came out they were designed to resemble the older Mustangs as well. What this proves? Probably nothing, I'm just rambling, I guess the jist of what I'm saying is that the newMustang needs to goon a serious diet.

Edit: grammar
Old 03-19-2008, 10:43 PM
V8Grl

i see why they need to do something about these cars that consume wayyy too much gas ... but man the sound of a v8 just doesnt compare to anything else .. no matter how much hp a v6 has ... it just wouldnt be the same ....[sm=boosign.gif]
Old 03-21-2008, 12:19 AM
OICW
3rd Gear Member

Unlessit is a misprint in Motor Trend....that is what it stated. Also it says the '06 Lancer Evo MR SE has 286 hp @ 6500 rmp, 289 lb-ft of torque at 3500 rmp. Weight to power 11.5 hp/lb.
You do realize what a 3.5s 1/4 would look like, right? Here's what can do the 1/4 in that time or less:

5.56 mm
9 mm
.44 magnum
.338 magnum
sidewinder missle

etc.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:56 AM
kyle2k
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Silky_Johnston

How do we fix this? Tell all the trust fund, enviro-douches to f*ck off. We should develop new sources of energy BUT that doesn't mean working class should go broke in the mean time trying to fuel their vehicles. Our standard of living and economy do not need to be sacrificied for some green nut cases.
Gas being $100 a barrel has nothing to do with green nutcases. You do realize that the fall of the dollar has been because of conservatives fixing our economy and"cleansing" theMiddle Eastright? Tell them you can't pay for gas. I want my "broken" economy back from the days of Bill Clinton.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:00 AM
kyle2k
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: OICW

Unlessit is a misprint in Motor Trend....that is what it stated. Also it says the '06 Lancer Evo MR SE has 286 hp @ 6500 rmp, 289 lb-ft of torque at 3500 rmp. Weight to power 11.5 hp/lb.
You do realize what a 3.5s 1/4 would look like, right? Here's what can do the 1/4 in that time or less:

5.56 mm
9 mm
.44 magnum
.338 magnum
sidewinder missle

etc.
Haha, do Canadian bullets not have a lot of powder in them? It would be a lot quicker than 3.5s for the 1/4mile.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:48 PM
AMD692

I think turbo's are real nice. My father has the new F-350 Diesel. It is a beast even though the gas mileage is awful
Old 03-27-2008, 06:53 PM
Fatboy Racing

the v6 is a drag cause true american muscle says a v8 is king but the turbo can make your engine so much more efficent so a turbo v6 doesnt sound that bad
Old 03-27-2008, 07:51 PM
goodtms13

Even if the V6 puts the same power, V8's are still cooler!
Old 03-31-2008, 08:36 AM
MustangFanatic4
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bodyputtyless

Just came back from the eye doctors office where I freeloaded a copy of Motor Trend. The cover featured the new Challenger. Inside the Mag I found an article that stated Ford, in order to fall in line with the new fuel regulations (2012 start)is going to try to get V8's out of there models. They are about to unleash a V6 twin turbo that is "gas direct injection". The engine is to be called "Ecoboost", and supposedly produces more horsepower then the current stock 4.6 V8. The Twin turo 3.7 will be installed in trucks and cars. The article goes on to say that some in Ford want to put the new motor into the Mustang. They know the additional HP, along with a lighter motor weight will enhance performance and agility. However, they aren't sure "us" Mustang fans will take to kindly to a GT with only six sleeves.
The fuel regs start to phase in 2012, with full compliance by 2020. Furhter in the Mag there is an article that reads about how the Vette, Mustang, Challenger, and the mythical Camaro may be the at the end because of the fuel regs.

I know I personally would need a lot of persuading in order to swallow a "V8less" Mustang. I'mhopingthat's what atest drive in a 3.7 twin turbo gas direct injection. Persuading.

Then again it's only an article in a snobby car mag.
I wander how insurance companies would think of a twin turbo v6?

Quick Reply: Motor Trend claims Mustang may go with V6 twin turbos