Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

2009 Nissan GT-R

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 07:50 AM
2k05gt
4th Gear Member

Default 2009 Nissan GT-R

At first glance, the Nissan GT-R seems a totem for everything wrong with modern sports cars. It’s much too big, way too heavy, far too complex, and damnably too expensive for mere wage earners, especially after inevitable gouging precipitated by a global struggle for the annual production run of just 12,000. Were Colin Chapman alive, he’d be on YouTube maniacally machine-gunning a GT-R to “add lightness.”

Now that we’re on our third or fourth glance, and we’ve been able to slap on testing gear and hit the track, the GT-R is earning our awe. In seeking to uphold all that is Godzilla, chief engineer Kazutoshi Mizuno and his crew have built a simply astonishing vehicle.
It’s still big, heavy, complex, and expensive, but it’s also a holy spitfire at the drag strip and a joy to drive in every way that a big, heavy, and complex car has no right to be unless it’s way more expensive than the GT-R’s advertised base price of $70,475.

This GT-R story is about performance numbers, so we won’t dillydally: 60 mph is barbecued in 3.3 seconds, the quarter-mile in 11.5 seconds at 124 mph. Braking from 70 mph takes 145 feet, and skidpad runs are 0.99 g. all with 3908 pounds!!!

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/artic...part=passenger

What I don't understand is how can a car that weights the same as a GT500 with the exact same power run 1 second faster in the 1/4??? I Call BS.....
Old 05-12-2008, 09:17 AM
myredgt
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 2009 Nissan GT-R

Well, let's use a little common sense and logic here, shall we.

You have a car that is twice the list price of a GT500, that does a second faster in the quarter. If you actualy look into the details, it is the awd and the way the car is geared.

Here is a graph of cars tested at Motor Trendand how they compare. Notice the GT-R is right up there with some of the higher end cars until it hits around 100, then it slowly drops off.

It is geared for off the line take off. It is a very fast car, and performs very well they say. Of course if you throw in the variable of adding $30,000 in upgrades to the GT500, you know where that goes.

Everyone knew it would be a monster, but alot of people thought it would be the end all of all cars. Yes, it is a very incredible performance machine, but it's right up there and can be outdone by some of it's rwd counterparts.

It all depends on the money you have. Many 'custom' vehicles, including Mustangs, could blow this car away.

Keep looking for that winning lottery ticket, just like I do...

- C
Old 05-12-2008, 05:18 PM
Elwood
2nd Gear Member

I saw an article in which the testers suspected they are underrating the engine power. Can't remember who, it was a while back.

Either way I'm sure everybody is going to get a lot of "Oh you beat my Civic but the GTR would kick your *ss."
Old 05-16-2008, 02:09 PM
Superman6TNine
1st Gear Member

ive watched a couple youtube videos for it..(i used to work at a nissan dealership) and thought it was pretty cool. not a bad car if ur rich and like driving boats
Old 05-26-2008, 11:59 PM
alexplantman
2nd Gear Member

You can't expect American manufacturers (including Chevy's Vette) to compete with the Japs once they put their minds to it... Come on, a world class car for $70K? That's not bad at all.... Don't blame the price gauging dealers who'll bump up the price; blame the idiots who want to be the first in the block with one and will pay the extra dough...
Old 05-27-2008, 09:59 AM
fordsbestcar
3rd Gear Member

it is amazing but it seems boring and ugly. also they asked engineers if they underrated it and they said no and that their was only a 10% loss through the drivetrain. i call BS on that.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:43 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

I've read more than a few sources saying that the car is pretty underrated HP wise from the factory. With more power, AWD, amore refinedpowerband, and a few dozen computers driving it for you......it would be hard pressed NOT to beat the Shelby.
Old 06-15-2008, 08:37 PM
skitso
3rd Gear Member

uhh bs yourself the stock horses are 480 and the vspec is going to be like 610 ish
believe it!! american cars are just no longer compatible with japs
but what ever were all going to be riding scooters in a couple of years anyways
stupid enviermentalist (spell check)
ohh and theyve remade like a bunch of parts in carbonfiber
so its really light

new idea how bout the supposed renault alpine
with the nissan counterpart something like the 2006 concept 240 sx??
there some sweet stuff
Old 06-15-2008, 09:11 PM
Elwood
2nd Gear Member

They went out to create the holy grail of Japanese cars and that's what they did. No matter how much I don't like the car, it will not change the fact that its performance is mindblowing. The classic sportscars, the Corvette and 911, have been puttering along with minor changes inbetween the model years. If you get an American or European manufacturer to set out and from the get go design a car tokick the GTR's @$$, I bet they could do it.

The way I see it, I am never going own one, I am nevergoing to race one, and I'll probably never see one.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:12 PM
fordsbestcar
3rd Gear Member

i'd rather own a Ford GT because it looks way better. they did good but still not appealing to me. just like Ferrari's and Lambos are awesome and all they just don't appeal to me.

Quick Reply: 2009 Nissan GT-R