Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Same Engine in 2010?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 05:58 PM
9million
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GTRACER88
I agree with a drunken llama. 9million, what they are arguing is that the base model mustang V8 is nothing compared to the base model of the camaro, charger, challenger etc. You cannot compare the GT500 to the camaro z28 because they are completly different classes. A Z28 and a Mustang GT are in the same class... GT500 is not part of it... I personally think it is ridiculous but we cannot jump the gun before the actual engine is released. I think it would be a bad move if they keep the 4.6L because more sales will go to GM. And fyi a new Mustang GT is selling for 31K average while the new camaro will be sold for 33-38K. I would dish out 2K for 110 Hp... plus it is an LS engine. They are notorious for accecpting mods. It is one hell of a motor... Im a mustang fan but if they dont bring a challenge to GM, ford = ftl. Like some one said earlier, tehre are 350z with better gas mileage that come from the factory with the same power as the GT's do now... The market is changing and ford isnt. My car has several thousands invested in it and i run 11.9. I cant even beat a stock C6 ZO6. i raced one and got my *** handed to... We have SRT 4's with 285 hp. PS. when chevy came out with the C6 Zo6, dodge compensated it by adding 100 hp to the viper, it has been done and now ford should copy it and do it.
Regarding the stupid stang vs camaro thing, im just saying Ford already has a mustang with enough power to kill the SS & SRT8 by alot (recite this twice in your heads). If they werent so damn hot, you could actually get one for around 42k msrp, but this is a good thing. Most GT owners on here are just upset that they cant or didnt get the GT500, so they get whiney & expect a 100 HP bump because everyone is doing it! I dont make enough money to own a GT500 but im not going to start hating on my engine. Dont get me started on the bullet or CS stang types, as these are overpriced GT's IMO! Maybe your should get your 350Z & rice it out lol. One good thing i can say about GM & Dodge is their Corvette & Viper. Those things are the domestic kings & dominate the muscle world. When will Ford ever produce a competitior or have they thrown in the towel. I think we all can agree that the Ford GT was a failure considereing its short life span!
Old 09-22-2008, 06:08 PM
NYstang
MF Staff Snitch

Originally Posted by Trmachuno
But their car MSRP's are also STR-8 challenger is an easy $15k-$20k(and slower R/T is $10k more) and who knows how much more the camaro will be then the mustang gt (I'd say $20-$25k is a good guess). So that leaves them $15k-$20k in the hole which you could spend on forged internals, suspension, turbocharger, tune, and other stuff for a gt. Then you can tell them to shove the 6.2 liter up their asses. Point is, money=power. Not engine size, as obvious with the 03-04 cobra which is only 4.6 liters yet many people have pushed over 700rwhp on them. And if the engine size is a problem for you, get a 5.4 liter GT500. It's not huge but obviously gets the job done really well with little money into it.
the V8 camaro will cost 20k more then a mustang GT? somehow, i dont think chevy has their heads so far up their asses to price it higher then a base C6. its going to be more like the 32k range, and comes nicely equipped for the base model. but then, we can only speculate prices for now. not to mention, you throw a turbo on, go KABOOM, you're ****ed. bye bye nice new car warrenty.

Originally Posted by 9million
You guys act like the GT500 doesnt exist. It will wax the SS & the SRT8, so whats the problem here? Seems like a bunch of GT whiners who cant afford a GT500. That's your problem, not Fords.

why are you comparing it to the SRT8? its a fatass with a lame posi and a ****ty transmission. not even in the picture right now.

problem with the GT500 is it is still going to go for 5-10k over the new SS camaro, while delivering the same performance numbers. plus the markup thats STILL going on, crappy factory suspension that does fit the power levels at all, no automatic transmission available(oh wait, "if you are buying a performance car, its gotta be a stick". newsflash, half the cars sold are autos), and lack of real factory options. oh, and gas mileage. chevy still manages high 20's with 400+ ponies. GT500 gets what, 21mpg?

And stop saying "yea, well, when we mod it...." you damn fanboys. fact is that NA V6's are pushing more then 300hp, the same as the 4.6 3v. we are talking factory stock comparison, with what the factory gives it. and 300hp v. 422? thats quite pathetic, if you ask me, considering Ford could easily get at LEAST 350hp from it, or even go over to the 4v engine. pathetic, especially coming into a new bodystyle with its competition reappearing.

Last edited by NYstang; 09-22-2008 at 06:11 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:47 PM
GTRACER88
5th Gear Member

9million just think before you speak... The GT500 will not kill the SS by alot... maybe the heavy *** SRT 8 but not the new camaro SS. SS will have better gas milage, and have around the same HP range, and still be CHEAPER! let me break down class for those who dont understand... GT500 (500hp)=CAMARO SS(there is speculation of 500hp)= Challenger SRT 8(425hp), MUSTANG GT(300)= CAMARO Z28(436hp)= CHALLENGER R/T(372hp) Thats two different classes. All i am stating is that to compete with their competetors they need to change their approach. Need to add more power, even if it is by 50 hp or by 100 hp. Keeping it the same will just **** people off... The stock V8 has just as much horsepower as a STOCK LANCER EVOLUTION AND STI! 4 cyl turbos... that are faster, lighter, better gas milage, for just as much. The Camaro V6 will have 300 hp... the same as your V8. Thats our problem... Chevy is slapping ford in the face and ford is just sitting there not doing a damn thing about it... That is why we complain that they need to make the new mustang GT better... to compete with other cars.

Last edited by GTRACER88; 09-22-2008 at 06:50 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:39 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

9million just think before you speak... The GT500 will not kill the SS by alot... maybe the heavy *** SRT 8 but not the new camaro SS. SS will have better gas milage, and have around the same HP range, and still be CHEAPER! let me break down class for those who dont understand... GT500 (500hp)=CAMARO SS(there is speculation of 500hp)= Challenger SRT 8(425hp), MUSTANG GT(300)= CAMARO Z28(436hp)= CHALLENGER R/T(372hp) Thats two different classes. cars.
I think you should hit up Google a few times yourself before posting. The Camaro SS has already been announced at 422hp (400 for the L99 auto), and there are no current plans to produce a 500hp Z28 model. And the 300hp sixxer Camaro WON'T be spanking any 05+ GTs........no matter what the HP rating says. There's more to a car than that. Not to mention the SS will weigh in very close to the GT500's curb numbers. It should be cheaper than the Shelby, yes.......but it won't be priced as close to the GT as alot of ppl are thinking it will.

I can grab a base model 09 GT locally for just under 28K. I don't expect pricing on the 2010's to go up much from the current model (especially if the drivetrain doesn't advance significantly). The SS will, IMO, price out in the 32-34K range. Fully loaded you're looking at a high 30's price tag.........and that's IF you can nail the purchase without any markups (good luck). So, by the logic of some of you, the GT and the SS STILL are not an apples to apples comparison......because of price differences. Face it, its going to be a lopsided comparo between the two cars for the forseeable future.

I still don't see Ford giving us a 400hp GT just yet. I'm expecting at least 350hp though. Everything we're hearing about the TT ecoboost model says that it could produce 350 horses easy........so the new V8 has to at least match that (if they don't wanna look like losers). A stroked out 5.0 version of the current 3V motor could product 350-370hp with ease on a conservative tune. A 4V 5.0 could produce 400+hp even easier.......but don't expect that to land in the GT. It would just be too expensive. It would be perfect for a future Mach 1 or Boss model though.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:05 PM
9million
2nd Gear Member

9million just think before you speak... The GT500 will not kill the SS by alot... maybe the heavy *** SRT 8 but not the new camaro SS. SS will have better gas milage, and have around the same HP range, and still be CHEAPER! let me break down class for those who dont understand... GT500 (500hp)=CAMARO SS(there is speculation of 500hp)= Challenger SRT 8(425hp), MUSTANG GT(300)= CAMARO Z28(436hp)= CHALLENGER R/T(372hp) Thats two different classes. All i am stating is that to compete with their competetors they need to change their approach. Need to add more power, even if it is by 50 hp or by 100 hp. Keeping it the same will just **** people off... The stock V8 has just as much horsepower as a STOCK LANCER EVOLUTION AND STI! 4 cyl turbos... that are faster, lighter, better gas milage, for just as much. The Camaro V6 will have 300 hp... the same as your V8. Thats our problem... Chevy is slapping ford in the face and ford is just sitting there not doing a damn thing about it... That is why we complain that they need to make the new mustang GT better... to compete with other cars.
Stock S197's compete very well actually. They run high 13's & are light! They have already released what the SS & GT500 will do in the quarter. A 12.5 & a low 13 means the GT500 is significantly faster! Where is this 500 hp camero you speak of??? Its not slated but speculated. If Ford keeps the same engine, it wont **** off the masses but it may upset a few modders on this site! I dont care what the ricers are putting out because nothing is equivalent to the V8.......NOTHING! How exactly has chevy slapped Ford in the face? Id say it the other way around & chevy has been trying to "get up" for the last 6 years. The mustang lived & the camero didnt remember???
Old 09-22-2008, 09:08 PM
volcomchester18
3rd Gear Member

^^^ S197 run a best of 13.5 stock BTW.

Originally Posted by 9million
Regarding the stupid stang vs camaro thing, im just saying Ford already has a mustang with enough power to kill the SS & SRT8 by alot (recite this twice in your heads). If they werent so damn hot, you could actually get one for around 42k msrp, but this is a good thing. Most GT owners on here are just upset that they cant or didnt get the GT500, so they get whiney & expect a 100 HP bump because everyone is doing it! I dont make enough money to own a GT500 but im not going to start hating on my engine. Dont get me started on the bullet or CS stang types, as these are overpriced GT's IMO! Maybe your should get your 350Z & rice it out lol. One good thing i can say about GM & Dodge is their Corvette & Viper. Those things are the domestic kings & dominate the muscle world. When will Ford ever produce a competitior or have they thrown in the towel. I think we all can agree that the Ford GT was a failure considereing its short life span!
your extremely wrong! The Ford Gt was a big success for ford, its performance was outstanding, it beat many cars way more expensive than itself. I dont know where you made up that it was a failure. The reason Ford made it was to prove that they can build a Ferrari beater, thats all.

Last edited by volcomchester18; 09-22-2008 at 09:12 PM.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:21 AM
Mustang_Joe
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by volcomchester18
^^^ S197 run a best of 13.5 stock BTW.
Actually, the stock record I believe for an S197 GT is 13.2 but they are rated in magazines at 13.5.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:35 AM
Mustang_Joe
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ThisBlood147
A 4V 5.0 could produce 400+hp even easier.......but don't expect that to land in the GT. It would just be too expensive. It would be perfect for a future Mach 1 or Boss model though.
That's the answer for these guys. If you really don't want to spend GT500 money and want something faster than a GT, push for ford to bring back the mach 1 or another name that they could make $5k-$7k more than the GT and throw in a better/faster engine. They did that in 03-04 and the mach 1 had a whole 60-70 more hp, was a whole .7 seconds faster in the 1/4 than the gt of it's time, had appearance mods, and handled better. That will be the answer for you guys if you can convince ford to bring them back (a petition would be a good idea with lots of signatures saying you'd buy the car the second it came off the assembly line). Hell, stock for the stock the mach 1 still outperforms the S197 by .3 in the 1/4 and a little better on handling I think with the mach 1's factory lowering springs, subframe connectors, thick sway bars, and other stuff I can't remember reading about.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:01 AM
shoeys08dkcandygt
4th Gear Member

hey guys didnt ford just develop the 3.5 ecoboost for the v6? it has 300hp and gets the same mpg that the current v6 gets. when it is coming out? i figured ford knew about the 300 hp v6 chevy is coming out with and would bump theirs up to compete for the 2010 model. i thought that is why ford has lost so much money in the last yr was because they were reengineering all there motors to get the mpg limit set by the epa. im going to be pissed if they dont bump up the hp. yes i know it is much heavier and shouldnt win in a race but still they will have the same hp my v8 has. and is not a rice car. since all there v6's have close to our hp anyway.
sorry for the rant. just wondering wtf ford is thinking.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:02 AM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustang_Joe
That's the answer for these guys. If you really don't want to spend GT500 money and want something faster than a GT, push for ford to bring back the mach 1 or another name that they could make $5k-$7k more than the GT and throw in a better/faster engine. They did that in 03-04 and the mach 1 had a whole 60-70 more hp, was a whole .7 seconds faster in the 1/4 than the gt of it's time, had appearance mods, and handled better. That will be the answer for you guys if you can convince ford to bring them back (a petition would be a good idea with lots of signatures saying you'd buy the car the second it came off the assembly line). Hell, stock for the stock the mach 1 still outperforms the S197 by .3 in the 1/4 and a little better on handling I think with the mach 1's factory lowering springs, subframe connectors, thick sway bars, and other stuff I can't remember reading about.

The Mach's don't really handle any better then a new edge GT. They have stock springs with stock sway bars. They have after market shocks made by Tokico which are not valved very aggressively and the subframe connectors are a joke and should be replaced. Combine that with a heavier motor and it handles about the same as a SN95 GT. An s197 GT handles much better then a Mach.

One other important thing about the Mach is it came with Cobra brakes 13" up front and 11.8" in the rear.

Quick Reply: Same Engine in 2010?