Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Its On! GT, Challenger, Camaro....

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 01:32 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangcat
Look at the muscle car lineup. Whats more popular: Mustang vs. Challenger & Camaro vs. Challenger. Less popular in both fields.
Yes, they might be a bit faster, but for $3000+ more and 64 more C.I. they should be a lot faster.
This whole comparison is nonsense though. The Camaro doesn't even exist in the wild yet. They never even quit making the mustang and the s197 has been selling for almost 5 years now.

The Challenger is probably the worst value of the 3 sure. But not by much. It's pretty close.
Absolutely, every car could be lighter, more powerful, faster. But this is the muscle car lineup were talking about, every tenth in the 1/4 mile counts.
Muscle cars have never been little go karts. These are supposed to be big cars with big engines. Pony cars, OTOH... Bit smaller. The Challenger was never a pony car.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:37 AM
mustangcat
Deputy CatDog - To Purr'tect and Explode

Originally Posted by S197winstang
I like the looks of the challenger. I may even pick one up in a couple years to complement the GT. It’s a nice toy- fast and can always be made to go faster. In 20 years the 05-09 GT, the challenger, and the Camero are all going to be desired classics. History tells you that Detroit will stop pumping out the Muscle cars soon enough and it will be back to the mediocre muscle cars for a long while.
With the CAFE restrictions, gas prices and the economy killing off the American V8. I fear that in 20 years, the only Muscle Cars will look like this:
Old 03-15-2009, 01:44 AM
S197winstang
3rd Gear Member

With the CAFE restrictions, gas prices and the economy killing off the American V8. I fear that in 20 years, the only Muscle Cars will look like this:
THAT WAS FUNNY!
Old 03-15-2009, 07:38 PM
Joolander
Lord High Protector

jeez man, think outside the box

theyll probably look like this

Old 03-15-2009, 08:28 PM
ramairthree

Yeah,
One of the main things I would agree with is that the Challenger could have come in weighing a little less. I think its like 500 more pounds than a GT. A few hundred pounds less weight and some taller gears and I think it would have been breaking into the 12s stock. But, the Mustang and Camaro and Pony cars. 2plus2 seating. The original Challenger may have been a pony car, but the new one is acutally a Muscle car. Its got 2 plus 3 seating, and if they put a bench in the front 3 plus 3. Its like Dodge bumped the Muscle car Charger into a 4 door sedan when they made a new one, and bumped the Challenger from a Pony car to a Muscle car. But even with three sets of buckles in the back I wished it weighed less.

As for the best buy, I have to say a base SS1 Camaro with a 6 speed and 430 hp at about thirty thousand is going to win that one. But I like the Mustang and Challenger looks better. And I used to own a Z28, I'm not bashing. I just wished the Camaro looked as close to a 1st Gen Camaro as the Challenger and Mustangs look to vintage models. But Mustang has always stayed truer to its looks, the third and fourth gen Camaros/Firebirds did not exactly look like classic, American pony cars eithers.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:21 PM
TheDutchTexan
4th Gear Member

CAFE?
Bump economy + republican president in 2013 will fix that... (one could only wish).

But the wars from the past are back, and I am glad I am part of it.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:01 PM
S197winstang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Joolander
jeez man, think outside the box

theyll probably look like this

Lets see if I put 4.10, spintech axle back, turbo charge it... it will be an *** kicker.. LOL
Old 03-16-2009, 03:41 PM
mustangcat
Deputy CatDog - To Purr'tect and Explode

Originally Posted by Justice
CAFE?
Bump economy + republican president in 2013 will fix that... (one could only wish).

But the wars from the past are back, and I am glad I am part of it.
...It was a Republican President(Bush) who bumped the original CAFE.
Too many hippies, penny pincher's and environmentalists will let the regulations slide.

And all in all it might not be a bad thing: End our slavery to Middle Eastern oil, have Mustangs that get 30mpg and are suitable for a DD, and show Honda/Toyota/Mitsu whos boss!