Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

2010 Ford Mustang GT vs. 2009 Nissan 370z

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 09:59 AM
ProfilerGT

Maybe its just me but I’m not even sure why they are comparing these two cars? When I was looking into buying a new car I was looking for a muscle car look and feel. I looked at the Challenger, Mustang, and the new Camaro’s. I never even considered the 370Z. That’s not to say the Z isn’t a great car it just didn’t fit into the profile/look I was going for.

In the end I still went with the Mustang for the over all look and feel. I understand completely when the Camaro SS comes out in a month or so it can do the 0-60 in about 4.6 and the GT can only do it in about 5.2 or so, I’m not concerned in the least. I bought the Mustang for the overall package and use in the real world, not the every so often street light race.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:10 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ThisBlood147
Hell, they could have drug in the STI
Edmunds already did a comparison between the STI and the Shelby GT. It wasn't pretty. They pretty much took a dump on the mustang.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:30 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Well, a Mustang vs an STi is an ugly comparison when you look at raw data. The STi beats the hell out of it in every respect from a performance standpoint. The people that want a Mustang are still going to buy a Mustang IMO... If I still lived in the mountains, I'd have an STi in my garage, no question.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:16 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

How do you figure?

The STI has less torque and only weighs 75-100 lbs. less. Hard to see how stock for stock it "beats the hell out of it". Leastways as far as straight line acceleration goes.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:05 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
How do you figure?

The STI has less torque and only weighs 75-100 lbs. less. Hard to see how stock for stock it "beats the hell out of it". Leastways as far as straight line acceleration goes.
I wasn't talking straight line acceleration, which is what this board focuses on. I am talking total performance dollar-for-dollar. On paper. According to the general performance specs (which vary of course), the GT will get to 60 .3 seconds faster, and do the 1/4 mile .5 seconds faster than the STi. On the street, thats a driver's race. Otherwise, the STi will out-corner, out-maneuver, and out-brake a Mustang GT cold.

So yeah, I stand by my statement, if you take one of each car stock-for-stock, generally speaking the STi beats the hell out of the Mustang from a performance perspective. Its a dumb comparison anyway, the target audience is so much different for these 2 cars. The STi is a harsh-riding street legal rally car basically. The Mustang is much more cush.

I think in the end, people will buy what they like. If its a Mustang, then its a Mustang. If its a V6 Camaro, then so be it as well...
Old 03-16-2009, 05:19 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Uh you said "every respect". To me that includes straight line acceleration. Especially around these parts.

I think we've cleared this up. BTW a friend of mine is driving home right now in a brand new 08 STI. No mods yet but he'll be at stage 1 within weeks I bet. I'm no fan of the wagon, can't figure out why some people like that in a sports car, but I'm no fool. It'll be a quick little go kart.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:35 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

If I lined up next to an STi in a stock Mustang GT, I wouldn't assume I was going to win a straight line race. That would be ill-advised, lol.

I have a lot of respect for the Subaru, because I had a pretty highly modified '03 and have had numerous friends with STi's and whatnot. I spent a few years running with that crowd. They are pretty cool cars IMO. Different strokes...
Old 03-16-2009, 05:49 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

This friend of mine had a 05 WRX at stage 2 and raced a friend of mine with an 07GT and a CAI/91 tune. It was a damn close race both times from what I heard. They both declared themselves the winners.

I would never, EVER, assume I would win lining up next to an STI. First you don't know what they've done to the thing. And even if it is stock all you have to do is spin a bit and then he's got a car length on you. But then I'm not the cocky type... I know some people seem to think they can't lose.

They are certainly quick little cars and can do very well. They are also not as expensive as they once were. He's getting his brand new STI for under $30K. It's an 08 base model that has been sitting there a long time but still. Not bad. I totally agree, different strokes... I'm just not a big fan of the exhaust or the look of those cars. But I'm no fool about the reality of what they bring to the table.

Regarding the Edmunds comparison I mentioned earlier. Part of the issue with that one was the fact they compared an overpriced Shelby GT to the STI. That kind of skewed the results vs. had they just used a regular GT. Practically the same performance, $5000+ less.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:39 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Hell, I have a blown GT and I don't assume I can beat anyone, lol. There are some pretty damn fast factory cars these days...

My best memories of the WRX I had are from the mountains in Utah. That car was a whole lot of fun in the twisties. If I end up moving back to the mountains in a few years, I'll sell the Mustang and get another one, or maybe an Evo...