Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Future Mustangs....

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 06:49 PM
machracer11
3rd Gear Member

Talking Future Mustangs....

So I'm just flapping my jaws here but does anyone else think the Mustang is getting a little too big both in size and weight. I mean with all the talk of fuel mileage and all that great stuff, knocking a couple hundred pounds and maybe an inch or two off the car would do wonders for fuel economy AND performance. Any thoughts?
Old 04-19-2009, 07:48 PM
stangant
5th Gear Member

Bring back the mustang II haha
Old 04-20-2009, 12:34 AM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

Well Ford would have to develop a dedicated RWD platform on which to build a smaller Mustang........and doing something like that for a single product is ridiculously expensive, so don't expect it anytime soon with the way things are in the auto industry. Otherwise, they'd have to build the Mustang based on a currently used RWD platform.......which Ford doesn't have. You should just be very happy that Ford's next Mustang didn't go the way of the Camaro or Challenger: over 3800 lbs.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:02 AM
KITT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ThisBlood147
Well Ford would have to develop a dedicated RWD platform on which to build a smaller Mustang........and doing something like that for a single product is ridiculously expensive, so don't expect it anytime soon with the way things are in the auto industry. Otherwise, they'd have to build the Mustang based on a currently used RWD platform.......which Ford doesn't have. You should just be very happy that Ford's next Mustang didn't go the way of the Camaro or Challenger: over 3800 lbs.
yeah bottom line is its still leaner than camaro or challenger. when i drove that v6 challenger yes it had 250hp but i fealt like 150hp. at least my v6 stang FEELS like it has 210hp. my stang would beat a v6 challenger any day.

hey......under the currently platform if they get a 400hp engine mustang will be king. and that should come next year with the 5.0. so no worries! we're good!
Old 04-22-2009, 12:30 PM
BLUE OVAL NUT

Originally Posted by ThisBlood147
I have to be in agreement with your statement. I will use the current Corvette as and example of what would be required to have a sub-3,500 lb car. With the current needs of consumers and safety equipment required the Mustang would be at a much higher price point. I remember a fully loaded '93 Mustang GT coming in around 3200+lbs and this was with a fox platform . I'm thinking the new Mustangs weight is probably what we should expect realistically from Ford's modern Pony Cars.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:40 PM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

I've already heard rumors that a next generation Mustang would be built with weight loss in mind. In comparison to the current S197 chassis.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:19 PM
Ato
4th Gear Member

I really doubt you are going to see a big drop in weight. As others have said lighter materials cost money that Ford is not going to be willing to spend just to shave a few hundred pounds but potentially increase the cost of the car in the process.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:24 AM
crash
BrandofPoop

Btw the new gt500 weighs close to 3900 pounds...ugh
Old 04-25-2009, 08:52 AM
KITT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by crash
Btw the new gt500 weighs close to 3900 pounds...ugh
who cares when you have 540hp ! any Z28 would be over 4,000 but GM cant afford to build it!
Old 04-25-2009, 08:54 AM
KITT
1st Gear Member

i wonder what is making the s197 weight so much more than previous models. its not really bigger is it?

Quick Reply: Future Mustangs....