Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

USAF Edition Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 02:26 PM
Blacklabelsociety

Default USAF Edition Mustang

scroll down for pics

U.S. Air Force, together with the tuning-studio Galpin Auto Sports, presented two of these supercars, made on the base model of Ford Mustang and Dodge Challenger (called X1 and Vapor)

As a recruiting gimmick, it's a good one. The United States Air Force has joined forces with Galpin Auto Sports to create two supercars, the X1 based on the Ford Mustang, and the Vapor based on the Dodge Challenger. The USAF is taking them out on tour to catch the attention of potential recruits.

Galpin's team worked with several air force personnel whose job descriptions — avionics technicians, aircraft maintenance technicians, civil engineers — seem to adapt well to the car-customization game. The cars will be taken around the country this year to "educate young people on the mechanical and technical career opportunities available within the Air Force."

As a collaborator, Galpin — home base of the TV show Pimp My Ride — has the right kind of imagination for the project. The X1 version of the Mustang has a single center-mounted driver seat with an ejection feature, a concealed motorized steering wheel, and a thermal-vision-equipped dashboard. Vertical doors add that supercar touch the recruiters will be showing off nationwide soon. Ford Racing heads, hot-rod cams and other tuner features get 500 horsepower from the 4.6-liter engine. "The end of the world" is how the air force Web site describes the engine sound they were looking for.

The Vapor version of the Challenger has a "stealth body kit with jet enhancements," heavily reliant on carbon fiber from exterior trim to wheels. Biometric access is used to open the vertical doors, and there's a "stealth exhaust mode" that lets the Vapor run as silently as an electric car. Not to worry, though — "you can open up the headers to facilitate the aggressive sound of the engine" if you get the all-clear. Other interesting militaristic features include aircraft-style controls, a steering wheel on the passenger side, night and thermal vision from a windshield-mounted film, proximity sensors — and radar-absorbing paint. A pair of Air Force flight helmets are customized to match the Vapor.

They also made a challenger, another article here - http://www.sub5zero.com/auto-news/us...allenger-vapor
Old 07-12-2009, 02:34 PM
Jokeurmnd
2nd Gear Member

Wonder how hard it would be to drive that thing?
Old 07-12-2009, 03:22 PM
usc49erfan
2nd Gear Member

looks good minus the lambo doors, man do i hate lambo doors, maybe the army will do one for an abrams interior
Old 07-12-2009, 03:29 PM
5T4NG
2nd Gear Member

i bet it would be scary as hell in that thing going around corners
Old 07-12-2009, 04:12 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

if they really used hot rod cams, i think
that is very cool.

Originally Posted by Blacklabelsociety

Ford Racing heads, hot-rod cams and other tuner features get 500 horsepower from the 4.6-liter engine. "The end of the world" is how the air force Web site describes the engine sound they were looking for.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:28 PM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

I love those badges...... hate the Lambo doors......
Old 07-12-2009, 05:03 PM
LegendLives
4th Gear Member

That looks like a bitch to drive lol
Old 07-12-2009, 05:40 PM
BeeStang
3rd Gear Member

I'm thinking this mustang is more appealing LOL! It will be produced and sold in limited quantities... http://www.sub5zero.com/auto-news/ia...n-ford-mustang. Now this is a cool ride!
Old 07-12-2009, 06:18 PM
abarker8541
3rd Gear Member

You arent serious are u? That thing is hideous.

Originally Posted by BeeStang
I'm thinking this mustang is more appealing LOL! It will be produced and sold in limited quantities... http://www.sub5zero.com/auto-news/ia...n-ford-mustang. Now this is a cool ride!
Old 07-12-2009, 06:28 PM
foolio2k4
3rd Gear Member

old stuff. I seen it before it got transformed into that junk. Previous look was way better.

Quick Reply: USAF Edition Mustang