Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Pontiac G8 To Live On As Chevy Caprice!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 07:58 AM
inyadreems
2nd Gear Member

Default Pontiac G8 To Live On As Chevy Caprice!

Despite denials from the highest levels, including GM CEO Fritz Henderson, newly-re-tasked GM marketing man Bob Lutz told Automobile the Pontiac G8 would find its way into Chevrolet showrooms as the Caprice. A RWD Chevy Caprice? Is the Carpocalypse over?

No, unfortunately, it's not. But what it does mean is Lutz will have a greater say in product planning than sources had initially claimed.

"The last time we looked at [the G8], we decided that we would continue to import it as a Chevrolet," Lutz said. "It is kind of too good to waste."

CEO Fritz Henderson has repeatedly denied that the G8 would survive as part of another brand, saying he's "not a fan of rebadging."

But Lutz, citing export agreements with Australia and the fact that the Holden Commodore is already sold in many countries as a Chevrolet, assured Automobile GM would not let the car die. Find out more over at Automobile Magazine.

Photo Credit: GM Press Photo
http://jalopnik.com/5312496/pontiac-...yline=true&s=x
Old 07-13-2009, 09:56 AM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

I glad somebody had the good sense to keep the G8 platform around. Good news. But why a Caprice???? I'm guessing they're targeting it for massive fleet sales then. I was hoping it would become the new Impala, but I guess GM isn't ready to un-castrate that once proud name.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:21 AM
mustangcat
Deputy CatDog - To Purr'tect and Explode

Originally Posted by ThisBlood147
I glad somebody had the good sense to keep the G8 platform around. Good news. But why a Caprice???? I'm guessing they're targeting it for massive fleet sales then. I was hoping it would become the new Impala, but I guess GM isn't ready to un-castrate that once proud name.
Yeah, I figured they'd do the same thing. Either that or the Monte Carlo, especially since it was discontinued in 2008.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:30 AM
inyadreems
2nd Gear Member

Def going to give the Charger a runs for its money as a Police vehicle.

America's next police car? GM to rebadge Pontiac G8 as Chevrolet Caprice
05:43 AMYahoo! BuzzShare
DiggNewsvineRedditFacebookE-mailSavePrint6 Comments

Recommend

In a reversal, General Motors plans to resurrect the Pontiac G8 and keep it in its revised lineup under a new, but familiar, name: Chevrolet Caprice.

Confirmation came in an interview with Bob Lutz, just brought back into GM's top management team, according to Automobile magazine. "The last time we looked at (the G8), we decided that we would continue to import it as a Chevrolet," Lutz is quoted as saying. "It is kind of too good to waste."

Too good to waste because the G8 was unique -- a powerful, rear-wheel-drive sedan that could not only appeal to traditional red-blooded American enthusiasts, but the police car market as well. With Ford's Crown Victoria aging, and no replacement apparently on the way, the rear-wheel-drive sedan market was almost entirely being abandoned to the Dodge Charger.

G8 is built in Australia by GM's Holden subsidiary. Down under, it's sold as the Holden Commodore. Holden sells its sedans in the Middle East already as the Chevrolet Caprice and Lumina. BusinessWeekreports that the G8 already had decent sales and that changing to the Chevy badge could only increase them - not to mention the police market angle. It could be a good profit vehicle for GM as well -- G8 starts at about $28,000.

Photo of 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP by GM
Old 07-13-2009, 01:21 PM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ThisBlood147
Originally Posted by mustangcat
Yeah, I figured they'd do the same thing. Either that or the Monte Carlo, especially since it was discontinued in 2008.
Me three, I thought if they rebadged it as a Chevy it would be a Impala for sure.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:43 AM
RedDevilSC
1st Gear Member

This is a step in the right direction for GM and the Chevrolet brand. The fleet sales alone would be reason enough to justify doing this. Not sure about the name though. Seems like it would be a better idea to ditch the current FWD Impala and replace it w/ a RWD version. The current model is thoroughly aged and needs to be put out to pasture.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:25 AM
Joolander
Lord High Protector

speaking of a replacement for the crown vic, what happened to that Ford Interceptor concept from a while back?

you know, this one

based on the mustang platform
Old 07-14-2009, 11:20 AM
mustangcat
Deputy CatDog - To Purr'tect and Explode

I think when they showed it to the general public and everyone in the audience threw up they decided to discontinue that prototype.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:34 PM
2011Black5.0
4th Gear Member

I really like the interceptor concept and ford cant let gm take its police car market sales
Old 07-14-2009, 01:23 PM
04CompetitionOrange
3rd Gear Member

I dig on the G8, I hope Chevy doesn't slaughter it.

Quick Reply: Pontiac G8 To Live On As Chevy Caprice!