Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

ecoboost engine (V6)

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 02:26 AM
Rampant

Originally Posted by JCON
I'd love to see a 5.0 return but its not fuel efficient enough
Everything points to the fact that the 5L will return. Both the F-150 and Mustang will get them.There are already pics of both the F-150 and the Mustang with Coyote engines. The 4.6L will be phased out entirely.

I think it is funny that some people are saying the EcoBoost will have to replace the V8 for fuel efficiency, while others say you can build a V8 as fuel efficient as the EcoBoost (which I happen to believe).

If the V8 goes away because of fuel, chances are the EcoBoost will as well. It isn't all that efficient. I think aerodynamics and weight will be primary targets for MPG (at least, I hope so).
Old 10-29-2009, 07:13 AM
JCON
5th Gear Member

THe biggest reason the V8 would be replaced by the V6, and this doesnt make a whole lotta sense is simply because they don't understand in Congress. I saw it while working for my own state legislature. No matter the states, V8 and big displacement = bad and smaller 4 and 6 cylinders are in. Won't be the first time they've done something stupid and certainly won't be the last
Old 10-29-2009, 12:38 PM
Rampant

Originally Posted by JCON
THe biggest reason the V8 would be replaced by the V6, and this doesnt make a whole lotta sense is simply because they don't understand in Congress. I saw it while working for my own state legislature. No matter the states, V8 and big displacement = bad and smaller 4 and 6 cylinders are in. Won't be the first time they've done something stupid and certainly won't be the last
While I share your same lack of faith in our government (heck, I live in CA where none of the auto laws make sense), I can't see them banning an engine based on size/displacement. MPG, sure, but there will always be "niche" cars they can't outlaw (look what would happen to Ferrari, Lambo, etc.).
Old 10-29-2009, 12:46 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

I think what they can restrict is based on its market share. Don't remember where I saw that but I remember something about letting exotic cars like that in because of how few there are relative to other cars
Old 10-29-2009, 01:09 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

It is good to hear/read everyone's different opinions and point of views regarding the ecoboost v6 engine.
On a different subject, I wonder why they decided to keep the 2010 V6 at the same HP? They increased the V8's up to 315 HP? Entice people to choose th V8 over the V6?
Old 10-29-2009, 01:14 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nineinchnail1024
I wouldn't expect a branch of the company that has invested millions into this engine to think it's a joke. I also wouldn't buy an MKZ.

Neither do I, but why use a complicated forced induction V6 configuration for that HP when you can get the same HP and fuel economy out of a simple V8? It's all about marketing. Ford is trying to convince us that the ecoboost is a fuel sipper when it isn't.

Since when? I think you need to double check that. The Mustang GT still makes more HP than the V6 Camaro, not to mention (and this is what REALLY counts) a hell of a lot more torque.
Read this;

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests
Old 10-29-2009, 02:28 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07 Stang

I'm not sure why I'm reading a comparison of the Camaro V6 and Genesis Coupe V6, but thanks for proving me right. The 2010 Camaro V6 makes 304 hp (according to your article) while the 2010 Mustang GT makes 315 HP.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:37 PM
2011Black5.0
4th Gear Member

ya lol i read that and was like soooooo, the point of posting this up was.....?
Old 10-29-2009, 09:51 PM
acarzt
4th Gear Member

If strict fuel economy laws are put in place ford should just do this to the Mustang lol...

http://media.origin.popularmechanics...makeover1.html

By then there should be light weight battery alternatives, etc. so it wont be so friggin heavy.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:21 AM
Rampant

Originally Posted by kevinmalec
I wonder why they decided to keep the 2010 V6 at the same HP? They increased the V8's up to 315 HP? Entice people to choose th V8 over the V6?
The V8 boost was by using Bullit parts.
The V6 didn't have any off-the-shelf parts to boost hp. A couple of ponies wouldn't have mattered if the really issue was hp compared to the Bow Tie, so why both R&D new parts?

Quick Reply: ecoboost engine (V6)