Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

ecoboost engine (V6)

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 03:03 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Question ecoboost engine (V6)

I received a brochure in the mail from Ford introducing the new Ford Taurus. I couldn't believe they put the ecoboost in the Ford Taurus, granted it does look a lot better than the older models. The 3.5-liter, direct-injected, twin-turbo EcoBoost V6 engine makes 365 horsepower!

I was wondering, why didn't they put the ecoboost engines in the new 2010 Ford Mustang V6ers too?
Old 10-28-2009, 03:22 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

most Mustang enthusiasts thought they were going to. My opinion is that they wanted to test the platform and see how people reacted to it before they make it the new Mustang GT engine when the tougher mileage regs kick in in 2014? in 5 years we will see most performance options get smaller and get boosted. While I do believe everything should be boosted, I don't think any company should be forced to do it. Its an excellent engine either way. Trying to figure out how I can get one in my 4.0!

FYI
Ecoboost 3.5L makes ~104HP per liter
GT 4.6L makes ~71HP per liter
4.0L makes ~53HP per liter
I need to go boost my lawn mower now....

(and get more money to boost the car)

Last edited by JCON; 10-28-2009 at 03:25 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 03:27 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

same question as why some of us have been waiting 3+ yrs for the 6.2L to be an option.

Ford might eventually do it. We'll see
Old 10-28-2009, 03:53 PM
Rampant

Originally Posted by kevinmalec
I was wondering, why didn't they put the ecoboost engines in the new 2010 Ford Mustang V6ers too?
The Taurus SHO is a $38k car. The engine is at least a $4k premium over the Limited. That would make the base V6 Mustang at least $25k. But, that doesn't include all the other upgrades Ford would most likely have to make to handle the power (axles, transmission, etc.).

If the EcoBoost ever makes it into a Mustang, it would most likely be as a base GT, and then the whole debate becomes why would Ford use that over the 5L V8?

I gotta believe the V8 would be cheaper to make and warranty, while being much more desirable to the Mustang crowd due to the V8 heritage.

I think it would be a nice option though myself, though I probably would still opt for the V8.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:04 PM
BlackSpirit
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JCON
most Mustang enthusiasts thought they were going to. My opinion is that they wanted to test the platform and see how people reacted to it before they make it the new Mustang GT engine when the tougher mileage regs kick in in 2014? in 5 years we will see most performance options get smaller and get boosted. While I do believe everything should be boosted, I don't think any company should be forced to do it. Its an excellent engine either way. Trying to figure out how I can get one in my 4.0!

FYI
Ecoboost 3.5L makes ~104HP per liter
GT 4.6L makes ~71HP per liter
4.0L makes ~53HP per liter
I need to go boost my lawn mower now....

(and get more money to boost the car)

Agreed, on the government meddling! We can only hope Ford lets every option rip before the 2014 mandates. I hope they throw everything they have in those final models!
Old 10-28-2009, 04:06 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Unfortunately, the EPA and crazy liberal tree huger aren't worried about heritage. I'd love to see a 5.0 return but its not fuel efficient enough after the new regulations go in to effect we will see the end of what we know as the American Muscle. high displacement will be out and smaller boosted engines will take over. There will still most likely remain a higher displacement V8 available but it won't be the main stay as the fleet average has to be 35mpg? maybe if they get everything else up they can keep a V8 in the line up
Old 10-28-2009, 04:28 PM
scorpio333
2nd Gear Member

I posted a vid of the SHO doing a 1/4 mile with just a tune - 12.7. That SHO is 4500lbs. Knock 1000lbs off and on paper the Mustang would be around 11.7.

Rampant kind of touched on it, how would Ford market this? You couldn't put it out as a Pony, the GT crowd would crap if they weren't the quickest (not making a dig there, the GT should be quicker). Can't put it out as a GT base, it blows the V8 away.

The possible solution is the rumored EcoBoost Shelby with the V8 version, maybe in '12. Let's say that's what happens, then it's not until '14 or '15 they put it in a GT and the V6 version in the Pony Package. That's a whole new generation away. Ford should try getting the V8 in the F150 and GTs ASAP, Shelby can add bigger turbos maybe?

I just can't see Ford putting out a non GT Mustang that could run a low 12 off the floor, the GT would half to run a low/mid 10??? The insurance costs would be a threat to the mass production. So...get ready for it, the V8 just may be a thing of the past in a few years.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:29 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

IMO, the ecoboost does not belong in a mustang.
you want more power than a v6? get a v8
you want more power than the v8? boost it. or get a gt500
you want more power than the boosted v8? forge the internals and add more boost.
you want to save gas? get a ecoboosted focus or a flex or a taurus.

the Mustang is a muscle car, it should be loud, fast, and eat up gas without worrys of any rainforest. i dont really care if the 5.0 comes back or not. i already have a 5.0 in my 92 LX, and i can make more power in my 4.6 with a little more work.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:39 PM
2011Black5.0
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by onederful100
IMO, the ecoboost does not belong in a mustang.
you want more power than a v6? get a v8
you want more power than the v8? boost it. or get a gt500
you want more power than the boosted v8? forge the internals and add more boost.
you want to save gas? get a ecoboosted focus or a flex or a taurus.

the Mustang is a muscle car, it should be loud, fast, and eat up gas without worrys of any rainforest. i dont really care if the 5.0 comes back or not. i already have a 5.0 in my 92 LX, and i can make more power in my 4.6 with a little more work.
hell ya
Old 10-28-2009, 04:51 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

problem is, we are slowly following the example of the European cars. They are utilizing high HP motors with small displacement via Turbo/Superchargers. and they have to get decent MPG's at the same time.

Congress has given a goal, and the smaller motors are the only way to achieve it. I hate the thought, but it's coming.

I doubt the V-8 will ever go away in a GT...but I can fully see the Ecoboost as an optional GT engine...if not the base engine and the 5.0 as the Upgraded motor

also, some Ford engineers on other Ford forums have reported that the ecoboost has a limited life span vs. a normal motor. I can't remember the mileage requirement, but the turbo's are supposed to have a <100,000 mile lifespan before a rebuild is due.

Ford has some work to do before they implement this motor across the board. I personally will buy a V-8 model only, but alot of car buyers could care less. They just want a car with the latest toys. An Ecoboosted Mustang will sell pretty good IMO

Quick Reply: ecoboost engine (V6)